Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Building a gaming system at Yongsan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaperTiger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Building a gaming system at Yongsan Reply with quote

I'm planning to go with a list of parts and specs for a new system I want to put together. After checking a few sites I think a rig in the 800k-1M price range will let me put together something decent. I don't know what game is being used as the baseline for performance of new systems, but Battlefield 3 comes up pretty much every time....as does Bioshock Infinite (okay graphics and too plot-driven for my tastes).

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2013/04/01/how-to-build-a-powerful-gaming-pc-for-750-ssd-and-operating-system-included/2/

Korean techs always seem to encourage cutting corners on things like power supply, cases, and well...too many things that end up really mattering after it's too late to upgrade. The PS and case are things I've spent too little on in the past and regretted not much later.

http://kotaku.com/5983493/how-to-build-a-great-gaming-pc-for-under-700

I have a lot of confidence in the people over at Kotaku, but I think all those parts are going to cost a lot more over here. I'm really wondering what people recommend from personal experience dealing with the sales/assembly guys in the shops over there and if you can recommend anyone...English skills would be a huge boost.

I've already tried building my own system and buying from crap places like JooyonTech, so both of those options are out. After service and guarantees are what I'm after in addition to an effin boss system.
jdog2050

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use icoda.co.kr

Basically, when you go to Yongsan and they don't have something right in their store, icoda (or a place like it) is who they'll call and get it from anyway. Might as well go straight to the source!
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i second icoda.co.kr. that's where i got my machine built and i got a rig that destroys almost any game on ultra settings pre-built for around 1.5 mil that doesn't cut any corners.

sadly however, i find that most of the time i run games like league of legends and torchlight which can be run on intel integrated graphics...
Adam Carolla

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little late to the party, but here's what I can tell you. First, I don't know if you know your way around Yongsan. The I-Park mall that the subway dumps you out at is not where you want to be. You want to head to the older part of Yongsan where dudes are smoking cigarettes indoors where men are men.

Second, many vendors won't want to deal with you because you are presumably non-Korean. No problem. Proceed from stall to stall with your pre-printed list of hardware specs and ask them to build you a system. Having a pre-printed list (from a Korean website) will keep them from scamming you. Also, a lot of these guys who will deal with you are pretty straight up legit. They just want to get you your parts, assemble your system, and get you out the door.

Finally, the *decent* vendors will give you a decent price and assemble your system for you while you watch. When I was in country, they only charged 10,000 to 20,000 won.

*Anecdote: I had a co-worker who wanted to buy some Samsung computer for over 2 million won. I took him and his Korean wife to the scummy part of Yongsan to build a better system. His wife was somewhat freaked out, but after we had gone to a few vendors and eventually ended up building a superior system for a third the cost, the wife was like "Why doesn't everyone do this?" I kind of had to roll my eyes, considering her initial reaction.

Basically, if you can navigate the Korean websites to find the real prices in Korea, you will find a vendor who can help you at the cost that you are prepared to pay.
Waygeek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam Carolla wrote:
I'm a little late to the party, but here's what I can tell you. First, I don't know if you know your way around Yongsan. The I-Park mall that the subway dumps you out at is not where you want to be. You want to head to the older part of Yongsan where dudes are smoking cigarettes indoors where men are men.

Second, many vendors won't want to deal with you because you are presumably non-Korean. No problem. Proceed from stall to stall with your pre-printed list of hardware specs and ask them to build you a system. Having a pre-printed list (from a Korean website) will keep them from scamming you. Also, a lot of these guys who will deal with you are pretty straight up legit. They just want to get you your parts, assemble your system, and get you out the door.

Finally, the *decent* vendors will give you a decent price and assemble your system for you while you watch. When I was in country, they only charged 10,000 to 20,000 won.

*Anecdote: I had a co-worker who wanted to buy some Samsung computer for over 2 million won. I took him and his Korean wife to the scummy part of Yongsan to build a better system. His wife was somewhat freaked out, but after we had gone to a few vendors and eventually ended up building a superior system for a third the cost, the wife was like "Why doesn't everyone do this?" I kind of had to roll my eyes, considering her initial reaction.

Basically, if you can navigate the Korean websites to find the real prices in Korea, you will find a vendor who can help you at the cost that you are prepared to pay.

Actually that is terrible advice, as too many Koreans have told me not to buy computer components from parts of Yongsan not in the main complex; heard many stories of fake processors etc.

OP if you're still planning the build PM me. I don't think you'll find all you want in Yongsan, you'll have to hit up GMarket too, but I can help you out where I can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: