Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Online MA Degree - Toilet Paper Qualification?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paddycakes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbie_davies wrote:

So you advise people not to go to a place where you have never been to?

Smart kid. Rolling Eyes

I've never been to Afghanistan, but I would advice people not to go solo back packing there.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I could advise people to think twice about backpacking in Kashmir, alone or with a group. Laughing
robbie_davies

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddycakes wrote:
robbie_davies wrote:

So you advise people not to go to a place where you have never been to?

Smart kid. Rolling Eyes

I've never been to Afghanistan, but I would advice people not to go solo back packing there.

Right - because Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan are a logical comparison. Rolling Eyes
sirius black

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'worth' of an online degree depends on what you want to use it for. Its growing in acceptance. Korean unis don't care for the most part. My school doesn't and the friends I know from several different unis don't care.
Korean unis, generally, just want someone to be able to be accepted by immigration and immigration doesn't care.

You will get backlash from those who did the traditional way and its largely anger because they feel you got it easier and they worked harder. So what, get over it is my view. I don't begrudge those who got it online even though I didn't get my degree online.

Its also growing in acceptance with employers. The bachelors degree is becoming similar to a HS diploma. If you're applying for a job that requires a bachelors HR departments will move a masters to the top of the list, even if its online because it shows something more to them.

Many very good unis are now offering degrees on line mainly because its a great revenue source. Online degrees will grow more and more in acceptance not the other way around. Its part of the future of education.
Paddycakes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirius black wrote:
The 'worth' of an online degree depends on what you want to use it for. Its growing in acceptance. Korean unis don't care for the most part. My school doesn't and the friends I know from several different unis don't care.
Korean unis, generally, just want someone to be able to be accepted by immigration and immigration doesn't care.

You will get backlash from those who did the traditional way and its largely anger because they feel you got it easier and they worked harder. So what, get over it is my view. I don't begrudge those who got it online even though I didn't get my degree online.

Its also growing in acceptance with employers. The bachelors degree is becoming similar to a HS diploma. If you're applying for a job that requires a bachelors HR departments will move a masters to the top of the list, even if its online because it shows something more to them.

Many very good unis are now offering degrees on line mainly because its a great revenue source. Online degrees will grow more and more in acceptance not the other way around. Its part of the future of education.

The worth of a graduate degree is measured by what the markplace will pay for it.

This is why someone with a Masters from a top university in an applied technical field can command a very high salary.

This is why someone with a on-line Masters in TESL can command a salary on par with a Seoul bus driver.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The market is becoming saturated in terms of a large number of very qualified teachers fighting for a limited number of "good" jobs. It's becoming more and more similar to Japan where good uni jobs are few and far between and are mostly locked up by an elite few. I have a feeling that Korean unis will realize this soon enough (if they haven't already) and job conditions will become not as fabulous as they are now.
goat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddycakes wrote:
sirius black wrote:

The worth of a graduate degree is measured by what the markplace will pay for it.

This is why someone with a Masters from a top university in an applied technical field can command a very high salary.

This is why someone with a on-line Masters in TESL can command a salary on par with a Seoul bus driver.

^ this.

An on-line Masters isn't worth the toilet paper it's written on. 15 million won flushed down the crapper to buy it. Then around another 15 million won in potential lost wages that could have been earned in extra work in the time it took to cut and paste the assignments from some wiki link.

If you are in Korea and thinking of doing a Masters, save up some money and go to a brick and mortar university and pick up a real/valid Masters from MIT, Oxford, ......................... Then, you can get a job anywhere in the world when your unigwon or kindergarten job her in Korea flops.
goat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
Quote:
The market is becoming saturated in terms of a large number of very qualified teachers fighting for a limited number of "good" jobs. It's becoming more and more similar to Japan where good uni jobs are few and far between and are mostly locked up by an elite few. I have a feeling that Korean unis will realize this soon enough (if they haven't already) and job conditions will become not as fabulous as they are now.

^ this too.
goat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the people with on-line Masters obtained dead end BA/BS degrees. And the endless pursuit continues. Some never learn.
robbie_davies

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goat wrote:

If you are in Korea and thinking of doing a Masters, save up some money and go to a brick and mortar university and pick up a real/valid Masters from MIT, Oxford, ......................... Then, you can get a job anywhere in the world when your unigwon or kindergarten job her in Korea flops.

Laughing

Do you know how much a Master's Degree from Oxford costs? 60000 pounds - and that isn't enough to get accepted.

And I have worked with them all in Saudi Arabia, PhD's from Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard, Berkeley, Brown, LaTrobe etc.

We are liberal arts types or else we wouldn't have trod the Korea path. Too late now sport!
goat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbie_davies wrote:
goat wrote:

Laughing

Do you know how much a Master's Degree from Oxford costs? 60000 pounds - and that isn't enough to get accepted.

And I have worked with them all in Saudi Arabia, PhD's from Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard, Berkeley, Brown, LaTrobe etc.

We are liberal arts types or else we wouldn't have trod the Korea path. Too late now sport!

Yes, I know the approximate cost for a degree from the universities and the qualifications it takes to get in. I have a Masters in English and Education from Stanford.

I too have worked with people with PhD's from many top universities, as well I have taught at a top 25 world university.

So what's your point? Popping in something like "too late now sport" does nothing to help your puff, puff, puff posts.
robbie_davies

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goat wrote:

Yes, I know the approximate cost for a degree from the universities and the qualifications it takes to get in. I have a Masters in English and Education from Stanford.

Laughing

The Lolz keep coming!

Despite your excellent credentials - you work in Korea!

Quote:
I too have worked with people with PhD's from many top universities, as well I have taught at a top 25 world university.

Right - and where has it got you?

Quote:
So what's your point? Popping in something like "too late now sport" does nothing to help your puff, puff, puff posts.

My point is stop moaning about your lot, we are all quite lucky to be travelling the world teaching English - a fact every Bulgarian, Korean and
Dutchman is quite envious of.

If you want to re-trade then do so, except you'll be working longer hours and a lot harder for your money and you will remember your days of being paid for doing very little with fondness. Very Happy
goat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbie_davies wrote:
goat wrote:

Laughing

The Lolz keep coming!

Despite your excellent credentials - you work in Korea!

Quote:

Right - and where has it got you?

Quote:

My point is stop moaning about your lot, we are all quite lucky to be travelling the world teaching English - a fact every Bulgarian, Korean and
Dutchman is quite envious of.

If you want to re-trade then do so, except you'll be working longer hours and a lot harder for your money and you will remember your days of being paid for doing very little with fondness. Very Happy

Why wouldn't I be in Korea? I met my Korean wife while we were attending Stanford University.

After I retired as a teacher in the public education system in America, my wife and I moved back to Korea and set up shop here. She has a good family background so there is enough inheritance to give our maid a nice bonus every year.

No moaning from me, just giving good advice.

Re-trade. LOL Laughing I'm kicked back checking the bank statement once a month. But I've worked to get to this point. And I don't have to walk around with sweat dripping from my bowling balls in a scorching Middle East job.
robbie_davies

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
[quote="goat"]
No moaning from me, just giving good advice.

It's good advice to the wrong crowd, liberal arts graduates working in Korea have neither the money or the educational background to do masters degrees at MIT or Imperial College unless they had the relevant bachelor's degree (and if they have and are teaching kindy in Korea, they are probably not cut out for an academic life in the sciences) and the money to go down that route in the first place.

My cousin actually has an M.Sc from Imperial College in London and wouldn't dream of working in Korea.

Quote:
Re-trade. LOL Laughing I'm kicked back checking the bank statement once a month. But I've worked to get to this point. And I don't have to walk around with sweat dripping from my bowling balls in a scorching Middle East job.

You have married well as the Daily Mail would say, otherwise you would be on 2.2 a month with the rest of the crowd in Korea. Don't kid yourself.

I quite like the middle east, today is a nice day, true what you say though, not everyone is capable of hacking it. Very Happy
IPayInCash

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goat wrote:

True... not to mention the women. A bunch of women that look like theyre dressed in heavy blankets instead of the fit, short skirt wearing Koreans. God talk about two polar opposites. Arent non married couples not allowed to live together there? I think someone here posted that. ROFL no thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: