Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korea Tourism official resigns amid scandal
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dairyairy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Korea Tourism official resigns amid scandal Reply with quote

The Korean media seems outraged to discover that anyone could ever pay for sex. Though the bigger question remains about possible corruption with the business end of the KTO. Again, shocking news. Simply shocking.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/culture/2013/11/316_146294.html

Quote:
Lee Charm pledges to file defamation suit

By Kim Tong-hyung

Lee Charm, Korea’s tourism chief, stepped down Friday amid allegations he had been a sex tourist.

The Korea Tourism Organization (KTO) president became the target of intense media coverage after cable television network JTBC reported Tuesday that Lee was treated by business partners at one of Tokyo’s popular ''soapland’’ facilities ― where customers engage in non-penetrative sex with prostitutes ― during last year’s Lunar New Year’s break.

In his parting statement, Lee, a 59-year-old naturalized Korean who was born in Germany, dismissed the JTBC report and criticized the broadcaster for ''unilaterally’’ airing the claims of its source instead of crosschecking facts.

He denied that he went to a brothel. However, that was inconsistent with what journalists were told after the JTBC report. Talking to beat reporters on Wednesday, a KTO public relations officer explained that Lee did visit a soapland venue in the Yoshiwara district, but didn’t receive sexual services and paid for the conventional massage he did receive.

''In early 2012, I took a personal vacation and went on a trip to Japan for the hot springs. I was accompanied by an executive of a company that had a business partnership with KTO … I did not receive unjust treatment from a Japanese company and I didn’t go to a soapland venue, but a normal, legal place to rest a little after dinner,’’ Lee said in the statement.

''I would like to restore my honor through legal proceedings and I am confident that I will be successful in doing so. However, the issue has created enormous pressure and a burden for the KTO and I am stepping down since it’s entirely impossible for me to normally serve my duty as president.’’

The JTBC report was based on a source who claimed he accompanied Lee to the brothel. He claimed that Lee receive the most expensive 70,000 yen ($700) service, which was paid for by the chief executive of a Japanese travel agency Lee met during the trip.

The KTO claims that the man, an owner of a company in the business of operating tourism information kiosks, was deliberately attempting to smear Lee’s public image after his business with KTO fell through.

Regardless of whether Lee was served sexual activities or not, it would be difficult for him to answer questions on why ― as a high-profile public employee ― he took someone he had an existing business relationship with on what was said to be a private vacation.

Soapland is a popular type of brothel developed in Japan after the country legally banned sexual intercourse for money in the 1950s. Paying for penetrative and non-penetrative sex is illegal under Korean law.

PeteJB

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if he still gets the '어머, 외국인이다' from silly girls. Mr Cham, I respected you for your abilities to adapt, but Germany is a much nicer place to be - you'll realize that sooner or later as this place gradually eats away at you. Wink
andrewchon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Korea Tourism official resigns amid scandal Reply with quote

dairyairy wrote:
The Korean media seems outraged to discover that anyone could ever pay for sex. Though the bigger question remains about possible corruption with the business end of the KTO. Again, shocking news. Simply shocking.

Fake Outrage Score 1/5 Laughing
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Where customers engage in non-penetrative sex with prostitutes."
OK...they provide services orally.
He admits paying 700 bucks! And no HE!?! I think not. And most of the population would agree!
It's not his first time visiting massage joints...and it won't be his last.
And the media is in shock that someone pays for sex..but it does not happen in korea?!
Gesh! It's on the news daily about prostitution in korea and the newspapers actually have posted pictures of the workers in the glass booths in the red light districts!
What a bunch of two faced people!
Look at the thousands and thousands of buy me "drinkie bars," below ground barber shops, love hotels, internet prostitution hookups, coffee shop gals, massage joints! What are they then?!
World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
70,000 yen ($700) service, which was paid for by the chief executive of a Japanese travel agency Lee met during the trip.

$700 for a prostitution service? That's crazy expensive. It's surprising people waste money on that. There are so many better things that could be done with $700. (All prostitution at any dollar/yen/won amount is a total waste of money and is very sad.)
FDNY

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
Quote:
70,000 yen ($700) service, which was paid for by the chief executive of a Japanese travel agency Lee met during the trip.

$700 for a prostitution service? That's crazy expensive. It's surprising people waste money on that. There are so many better things that could be done with $700. (All prostitution at any dollar/yen/won amount is a total waste of money and is very sad.)

Haha, $700 is nothing, even in Korea. And it is great when someone else is picking up the tab. Party on.
NohopeSeriously

Location: The Christian Right-Wing Educational Republic of Korea

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be a gyopo but I strongly believe that Korea needs a special law to protect non-Asian people.
Otus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't make head or tail out of this one. Even as an attack from a disappointed business partner, it still appears hopelessly incoherent.

The blog where I usually go to get a more coherent picture on this kind of stuff seems to have at least temporarily dropped it. I guess we probably won't find out much more here.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has been appropriately dealt with. Once again the Germans aggressively align with the Japanese invader to infiltrate our great nation. Continued vigilance is required.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SR, I like your new picture. Where did you get it?
Los Angeloser

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NohopeSeriously wrote:
I may be a gyopo but I strongly believe that Korea needs a special law to protect non-Asian people.

And you're cool until you do something wrong, then you ain't Korean anymore. This "Korean citizen" wasn't really ever Korean which is why they went after him. "Foreigners" in S. Korea sought to lead companies or those chosen to be in Korean politics will be ousted soon enough. Another one bites the dust.
Ralph Winfield

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Los Angeloser wrote:
NohopeSeriously wrote:

And you're cool until you do something wrong, then you ain't Korean anymore. This "Korean citizen" wasn't really ever Korean which is why they went after him. "Foreigners" in S. Korea sought to lead companies or those chosen to be in Korean politics will be ousted soon enough. Another one bites the dust.

You know what's up in this 5,000 years old nation.
ThingsComeAround

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked for days that this story wasn't picked up here sooner. Lee Charm seems to be one of those good 'ol "Korean culture" teat suckers that grew wings- and flew too close to the sun. I don't blame him, nor do I hate him, nor do I feel sorry for him. My question is- would the media be on his case if he spent that money on Gangnam Soapland girls?
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
SR, I like your new picture. Where did you get it?

I just looked up Korea ______ (I can't remember what, either star/flag/poster/etc.) and then inserted the Apologista text. I have to credit maximmm for starting the whole Apologista Brotherhood scthick. I'm going to run with it for a couple weeks, take a break from everything and have some yuks. Always good to laugh at yourself. Plus, I just love that Soviet terminology and stuff.
radcon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to frequently see this guy trolling for strange in Itaewon. A real coos-hound that one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: