Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

America's Wage Crisis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
World Traveler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less government support for one thing. The more welfare you throw at people like that for having kids, the more children they will have. Sad but true.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jyang486 wrote:
i get what you're all saying, but certain individuals should not be living in this area if they can't afford to. it shouldn't come out of the employers pockets to make it so they can. just because you want to live here doesn't mean you should, if you can't afford to. there's plenty of families who make it work, those working for the current minimum wage, and don't live off of food stamps and such. the city that i work in has one of the biggest immigrant populations in the dc metropolitan area. it's not a cheap area, but they make it work.

Businesses need employees to function. And how do you know those getting minimum wage are not getting some type of government assistance?
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low Wages Force More Than Half Of Fast Food Workers To Rely On Government Assistance

Read more: http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/the-real-cost-of-fast-food.html/#ixzz2kPXx0gos

Wal-Mart Relies On Taxpayers To Subsidize Low Wages

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/wal-mart-is-using-taxpayers-to-subsidize-low-wages.html/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+WallStCheatSheetCore+(Wall+St.+Cheat+Sheet)&utm_content=Google+Reader#ixzz2kPY72kRH
Deja

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
Less government support for one thing. The more welfare you throw at people like that for having kids, the more children they will have. Sad but true.

I agree with that. Giving "subsidies" for having kids is a bad idea.
Sweden has a very good solution - it is the male's responsibility to force use of a condom, unless the couple is married.
If you don't abort, then you should pay for it. At most I would hunt the father for half the abortion cost, nothing else.
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This explains the US (and West?) problem:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/10/opinion/sunday/friedman-why-i-still-support-obamacare.html

"The Cold War era I grew up in was a world of insulated walls, both geopolitical and economic, so the pace of change was slower — you could work for the same company for 30 years — and because bosses had fewer alternatives, unions had greater leverage. The result was a middle class built on something called a high-wage or a decent-wage medium-skilled job, and the benefits that went with it.

The proliferation of such jobs meant that many people could lead a middle-class lifestyle — with less education and more security — because they didn’t have to compete so directly with either a computer or a machine that could do their jobs faster and better (by far the biggest source of job churn) or against an Indian or Chinese who would do their jobs cheaper. And by a middle-class lifestyle, I don’t mean just scraping by. I mean having status: enough money to buy a house, enjoy some leisure and offer your kids the opportunity to do better than you.

But thanks to the merger of globalization and the I.T. revolution that has unfolded over the last two decades — which is rapidly and radically transforming how knowledge and information are generated, disseminated and collaborated on to create value — “the high-wage, medium-skilled job is over,” says Stefanie Sanford, the chief of global policy and advocacy for the College Board. The only high-wage jobs that will support the kind of middle-class lifestyle of old will be high-skilled ones, requiring a commitment to rigorous education, adaptability and innovation, she added."

==
I think you need luck too.

Happy trails folks. It seems like the choices are an easy but empty life in Korea, or a struggle back home.
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://inequalityforall.com/
Deja

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's Your Daddy? wrote:

Happy trails folks. It seems like the choices are an easy but empty life in Korea, or a struggle back home.

Why empty? Learn Korean and you'll be surprised how much more fullfilling it can be than in the States.
Jyang486

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="bucheon bum"]
Jyang486 wrote:
Businesses need employees to function. And how do you know those getting minimum wage are not getting some type of government assistance?

unless i'm mistaken, immigrants can't receive government assistance such as welfare or food stamps.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that explains why immigrants are so much more hard working (and upwardly mobile) than the native born poor ghetto Americans. (That and they don't have deadbeat parents.)
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jyang486 wrote:
bucheon bum wrote:

unless i'm mistaken, immigrants can't receive government assistance such as welfare or food stamps.

Depends on their status (work visa vs permanent resident vs citizen). And many (illegal) immigrants go to ER for medical care because that's the only way they can get it.

And it isn't just immigrants who get minimum wage.

edits: to clean up quotes.

Last edited by bucheon bum on Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:02 am; edited 2 times in total
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
I guess that explains why immigrants are so much more hard working (and upwardly mobile) than the native born poor ghetto Americans. (That and they don't have deadbeat parents.)

That an the fact they put effort into getting the USA clearly shows they have some drive and motivation.
jMendez86

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Youth Unemployment Reply with quote

Unfortunately, employment continues to be a huge issue for the US. Luckily, there are more and more resources out here to help combat this adversity. Has anyone addressed the recent issue of youth unemployment? Question Just recently I stumbled across an article that mentioned youth unemployment in the states was atrocious; i.e. more than 70% of youth (15-19) are unemployed. Yet, more than 60% of kids today have smartphones and access to internet browsers on those phones. Employment companies everywhere are behind the learning curve. One such employment agency called granted.com is actually realizing that the way of the future is the smart phone or mobile app. Employers need to utilize the younger workforce, not just the older people who are going to retire soon - if they can.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Youth Unemployment Reply with quote

jMendez86 wrote:
Just recently I stumbled across an article that mentioned youth unemployment in the states was atrocious; i.e. more than 70% of youth (15-19) are unemployed.

Realistically what are you going to do with them though? They can't write a proper sentence, they can't do basic math, their brains are so fried from sugar they can't stay focused on anyting for more than 60 seconds.
Old Painless

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Youth Unemployment Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
jMendez86 wrote:
Just recently I stumbled across an article that mentioned youth unemployment in the states was atrocious; i.e. more than 70% of youth (15-19) are unemployed.

Realistically what are you going to do with them though? They can't write a proper sentence, they can't do basic math, their brains are so fried from sugar they can't stay focused on anyting for more than 60 seconds.

They seem to be addicted to their social media too.
jMendez86

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Getting a real job Reply with quote

Deja wrote:
Jyang486 wrote:
@ deja: 30-45 minute bike ride is pretty darn close. there's people who commute almost two hours one way by car. but silver spring, maryland, is probably closer to 30-45 minutes by car, especially in rush hour traffic. your friend probably bikes to the nearest metro station.

No, a bike ride. She worked as a lifeguard, so she didn't need to care about ironed clothes or shoes at the workplace and could afford to "step on it". 10km was her journey to DC, so a 30 mins bike ride sounds more like it.

Again, I find that o be ridicolously expensive. My 65m flat with some utilities is 800$ a month (+~100$ average for power/gas). So comparing US and Korea simply by comparing numbers for the wages is ridicolous.

If you're looking for a place to find a real job, I recommend looking at a few more options then just an online thread. When I was looking for employments tips, I didn't spend much of my time on forums simply because real employers are looking for qualified individuals who are not spending all their time on online blogs and chat rooms. I don't spend too much time on here after I got a job but it seems like many people are still complaining about the same things. For those people looking for work: do what I did. I found the best resources at employmentresearch.com and it was the best option for me when it came to my job search. I HIGHLY recommend it.

Good luck to everyone looking for work!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: