Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KT: Girls' Generation faces racial attack
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EZE

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radcon wrote:
Voters did choose to put a 1 loss Bama in the title game over a 1 loss Oregon team last year.

...the same Oregon that lost to an SEC team when they actually got the opportunity to play in the BCS championship game. Nobody wanted to see a team that can't get it done when it matters. They wanted to see Notre Dame play a formidable opponent and Notre Dame got one. Just a week or two ago, the Oregon people were chanting, "We want Bama! We want Bama!" Then they went out and got manhandled by the same team that beat them last season! Laughing

andrewchon wrote:
Alright, one more chance to show me that you are not a mouth-breathing knuckle dragger: defend Tennessee's '98 championship. Laughing

Tennessee was the only team (other than Tulane) to go undefeated.

Tennessee started the 1998 season by going on the road and beating a Donovan McNabb-led Syracuse team. The next week, that same Syracuse team that lost to Tennessee obliterated the defending national champions, Michigan, at Michigan. It was 38-7 in the 4th quarter when Syracuse put in its 3rd string.

Tennessee's second game was against the #2 Florida Gators and Tennessee won. Tennessee beat Auburn and Alabama. Tennessee beat #7 Georgia at Georgia. An 8-0 Arkansas team went to Knoxville and left with a loss. Tennessee won the SEC Championship Game. Tennessee played Florida State in the BCS Championship game and won. Florida State's star receiver Peter Warrick finished the game with one catch for seven yards.

Who other than Tennessee should've been named the 1998 national champion? Florida State? Tulane? Oregon's 8-4 team who wasn't chosen to play in the BCS Championship game?
NohopeSeriously

Location: The Christian Right-Wing Educational Republic of Korea

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and a gyopo like me encounters a lot of hostility from Koreans.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZE wrote:

Who other than Tennessee should've been named the 1998 national champion?

It's a beauty contest. Alabama, of course. Laughing
EZE

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewchon wrote:
EZE wrote:

Who other than Tennessee should've been named the 1998 national champion?

It's a beauty contest. Alabama, of course. Laughing

Actually, the scoreboard at the end of their game was:

Tennessee 35
Alabama 18

Tennessee was the better team that year and was the conference and the national champion. You won't hear anyone in Tuscaloosa whining, "My team couldn't get it done when it mattered, and we lost, but we're not champions because it's a beauty contest. We got screwed!" Bama fans will readily acknowledge when another team proves itself superior on the field...even when it's Tennessee or Auburn. The years Bama didn't win the national championship, Bama didn't deserve the national championship due to shortcomings on the field of play.

If Oregon wants a BCS trophy, it needs to stop losing to Stanford. Then when it makes the BCS game, it needs to outscore the opponent. Auburn beat Oregon on the field for the BCS national championship, and the voters had nothing to do with that outcome. As much as I may not like Auburn, they did beat Oregon in the BCS game, so Auburn was the national champion. Oregon people need to stop whining about the BCS and start winning when it matters. That goes for a few other teams as well.

If you want to compare apples to apples, the logical argument would be to bring up the Heisman Trophy. It's a subjective vote, sort of like Girl's Generation versus Miley Cyrus. Whereas Alabama, Tennessee, Florida, Auburn, and LSU are 8-0 against non-SEC teams in BCS Championship Games head-to-head on the field of play, even I would concede Mark Ingram wasn't the best choice for the Heisman. If McCarron wins it this year, I would question that as well.

However, even though I usually disagree with the Heisman voting, each voter still gets only one vote. It's not like these music fans bouncing around from internet café to internet café voting dozens or hundreds of times each so their favorite singer or rapper or whatever Rain does or did can win the vote of Most Influential Person in the World.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZE wrote:

If you want to compare apples to apples, the logical argument would be to bring up the Heisman Trophy.

Disregard re. Alabama 98 etc. A silly answer, late at night etc. Embarassed

Once again, don't hate the winners or voters. Blame the system.

They are all flawed systems, Youtube Music Awards, BCS, and yes Heisman Trophy, too. They are all based on biases, but it looks like a contest because of some slap-and-tickle by the chosen few in the finale. Have a look at the nasty hateful reactions they've caused. What they are saying is: "We were never in the race from the beginning." You, by defending the flawed system, is perpetuating the 'haves and have nots'. Are you or are you not in favour of the American Dream? Laughing

note: I do not have any particular leanings to Alabama football or Oregon Ducks (where'd that come from?) or Heisman Trophy winners whether they sucked in NFL or not. Cool
matthagwon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 minute is better
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Michigan vs. Nebraska in 1997?
ghostrider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny video of Girls' Generation introducing themselves in English before an audience in NYC-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogo_O3Q87g0
EZE

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewchon wrote:

I don't hate the winners since I like Bama and Girl's Generation. I hate the losers (Miley Cyrus, Tim Tebow in the 2009 Heisman race, Notre Dame last season, and of course your team, haha).
maitaidads

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Born in TN, went to school at UGA, partied with Hines Ward (in my actual apartment at least twice), so I guess I'm just bragging that I passed him the bong, we all went to the black club together, and the blacks stole my taco bell Smile
andrewchon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZE wrote:
andrewchon wrote:

I don't hate the winners since I like Bama and Girl's Generation. I hate the losers (Miley Cyrus, Tim Tebow in the 2009 Heisman race, Notre Dame last season, and of course your team, haha).

Where did you get this idea that I favour a US college football team? You have mixed up somebody else's set of information on this discussion. However, I forgive you because I know you are a mouth-breathing knuckle-dragger and an embarrassment to football factories and have been waiting ages to show that you in fact have memorized something at last. Laughing
byrddogs

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K-pop sucks arse. There, I said it. Move on now.
NovaKart

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The numerous writing assignments I get from my students about Selena Gomez, Justin Bieber, etc. shows they're at least very popular in the Middle East too. I didn't think I knew any songs by these people either but then sometimes I'll find out that I had heard the song many times on the radio but I just didn't know who the singer was.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZE wrote:
I hate the losers (Miley Cyrus

But she was a winner at the MTV European Music Awards. I have new respect for her now.
Quote:
Miley Cyrus knows how to light up a room, and on Sunday the "Wrecking Ball" singer decided to light up in a room — at the MTV European Music Awards in Amsterdam. Right after accepting the best music video award, Cyrus, onstage, pulled out what MTV News reports was a marijuana joint and took a smoke.

http://www.nbcnews.com/entertainment/miley-cyrus-sparks-marijuana-controversy-onstage-mtv-european-music-awards-2D11577219
Quote:
Cyrus has regularly linked herself with marijuana usage, from her 19th birthday party in 2011 where she joked about being a stoner to her current web page, which features a lit cigarette with a marijuana leaf on it.

"I think weed is the best drug on earth," she said in a recent interview with Rolling Stone. "Hollywood is a coke town, but weed is so much better."

The awards ceremony was held in Amsterdam, where marijuana is in many cases sold legally.

Awesome!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: