Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kimchi causes Cancer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewchon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3DR wrote:
reactionary wrote:
Umm, any serious websites verifying the dangers of garlic?

Yes...for some reason in the past few months I've grown a strong taste for it.

Me too. Laughing
johnny_russian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Garlic is poison! Reply with quote

Khunopie wrote:
Vlad Spinner wrote:
Garlic, which Koreans add to their kimchi liberally, is a highly potent neurotoxin.

It's one of the few known foods (the only?--I'm not sure) which passes the blood-brain barrier, wreaking havoc on the brain.

A lab in the States doing EEG's kept wondering why so many of their testees where turning up as clinically brain-dead, until they finally linked it to garlic bread/Italian food at lunch.

An American flight school had to instruct its pilots to keep off garlic for 72 hours before flying: it was wrecking their hand-eye coordination and overall alertness.

Never noticed how dopey you feel after eating the stuff?

If desperately ill, you might take it to save your life. Otherwise, stay away.

Meanwhile, regular garlic-dosing via kimchi PLUS the so-called "fluoride stupor" (thanks to all that lovely toxic toothpaste) just about guarantee that Koreans will behave like wind-up doll Manchurian candidates.

Garlic-free kimchi, if you can find it--another story. Fluoride-free toothpaste can be found at Orga, just south of the COEX mall.

Japanese call Koreans, lovingly, garlic eaters .... Why NOT to eat garlic ...

http://www.rense.com/general76/Dpi.htm

this is complete BS. the link you posted is from a Reiki website. not exactly scientific.

in fact, if you look at actual peer-reviewed studies that have been posted in proper scientific journals, you will see that garlic is a free-radical scavenger that actually protects against neurotoxicity and neuronal death.

see these studies here:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0197018604001275

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/maney/nns/2002/00000005/00000004/art00009

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0955286310001968
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other news, breathing air causes brain cells to die. We should all lower our consumption of oxygen to lower our risk of dying brain cells.

This is just like the study about Japanese people having high mercury levels in their blood because they eat too much raw fish. Why is everyone trying to denounce other country's staple foods?
maximmm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Garlic is poison! Reply with quote

Vlad Spinner wrote:

Comment adversely on a country not your own and you are RACIST, RACIST, EVIL/ANTI-SEMITIC, UNFIT FOR HUMAN COMPANY!

Think and be free!

Well said. The apologist brotherhood approves and would like to extend you an invitation to our weekly meetings so that we may spread the Truth together!
joseph921

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimchi does not cancer. It's a bogus article. Everything in Kimchi is as natural as your next vegetable dish.

The stomach cancer statistics is more likely a result from eating too much burned bbq, and MSG riddled instant cup ramen noodles + soju. Those 3 things are the most commonly consumed foods in Korea along with Kimchi.

If anything were to cause stomach cancer, it'd be those 3 things and not kimchi. The only thing in kimchi that might have a link to stomach cancer is if the cabbage is blanketed with pesticides and then not washed off properly.

But that's a worry for every fruit and vegetable out there along with consuming fish / seafood (they may have water pollutants in their systems).

Kimchi has been a long traditional staple food for Koreans for a long long time, even before stomach cancer was ever an issue. It's most likely the bbqing, instant noodles, and soju.

My great grandfather lived to age 104. My grandfather died at 90 and my grandmother is still alive at 95, all have eaten kimchi their whole lives, nobody ever got stomach cancer.

My grandfather on the other side of the family use to eat a lot of canned foods/processed foods, and in his late 50s had stomach cancer, had surgery, and from that point on only ate fresh foods (nothing canned), and has never had another case of it again. He's still alive and doing well now at 84.

I'm not saying this is conclusive evidence, but from my personal experience, I won't be worried at all about kimchi. I'd be more suspicious about the pesticides that are being used on our crops, and the synthetic chemicals/preservatives that are being used in all of our processed foods.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joseph921 wrote:
Kimchi does not cancer. It's a bogus article. Everything in Kimchi is as natural as your next vegetable dish.

The stomach cancer statistics is more likely a result from eating too much burned bbq, and MSG riddled instant cup ramen noodles + soju. Those 3 things are the most commonly consumed foods in Korea along with Kimchi.

If anything were to cause stomach cancer, it'd be those 3 things and not kimchi. The only thing in kimchi that might have a link to stomach cancer is if the cabbage is blanketed with pesticides and then not washed off properly.

But that's a worry for every fruit and vegetable out there along with consuming fish / seafood (they may have water pollutants in their systems).

Kimchi has been a long traditional staple food for Koreans for a long long time, even before stomach cancer was ever an issue. It's most likely the bbqing, instant noodles, and soju.

My great grandfather lived to age 104. My grandfather died at 90 and my grandmother is still alive at 95, all have eaten kimchi their whole lives, nobody ever got stomach cancer.

My grandfather on the other side of the family use to eat a lot of canned foods/processed foods, and in his late 50s had stomach cancer, had surgery, and from that point on only ate fresh foods (nothing canned), and has never had another case of it again. He's still alive and doing well now at 84.

I'm not saying this is conclusive evidence, but from my personal experience, I won't be worried at all about kimchi. I'd be more suspicious about the pesticides that are being used on our crops, and the synthetic chemicals/preservatives that are being used in all of our processed foods.

Signed, the Korean Department of Agriculture.
johnny_russian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joseph921 wrote:

glad to know that you've come to the undeniable and clearly irrefutable conclusion that kimchi doesn't contribute to cancer based solely on your personal experiences. in fact, i think you should send your personal experiences to a peer-reviewed scientific journal for publication, and have no doubt that they will appear in the next issue of Nature or Science.

JOSEPH921'S GRANDMOTHER EATS KIMCHI AND SHE'S STILL ALIVE EVERYONE! THIS IS THE DEFINITE PROOF THAT KIMCHI DOESN'T CONTRIBUTE TO CANCER WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR!!!1!111!!!
alljokingaside

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnny_russian wrote:
joseph921 wrote:

glad to know that you've come to the undeniable and clearly irrefutable conclusion that kimchi doesn't contribute to cancer based solely on your personal experiences. in fact, i think you should send your personal experiences to a peer-reviewed scientific journal for publication, and have no doubt that they will appear in the next issue of Nature or Science.

JOSEPH921'S GRANDMOTHER EATS KIMCHI AND SHE'S STILL ALIVE EVERYONE! THIS IS THE DEFINITE PROOF THAT KIMCHI DOESN'T CONTRIBUTE TO CANCER WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR!!!1!111!!!

Comments like these makes me want to talk more on this forum! I also love it when I get flogged by a bouquet of dildos in public, so what does that say?

Anyway, while Joe's anecdotal defense of the beloved date-repellent staple is as flimsy as the green on kimchi (and who can forget that cliche where someone's grandfather or whatever lived to 100 and was a pack-a-day smoker[smoking doesn't cause cancer!]), he does have a point. Stomach cancer wasn't as bad before (or, at least, there seems to be no indication that this is the case)

Of course, kimchi, like all pickled, salty, spicy foods, probably plays a factor. Itself, super. Kimchi+(what Joe said) = bad news for ma belly

Anyway, with cancer, concentration and "dosage" is key, right? like overconsumption => higher concentration of carcinogens => higher chance of damaged DNA => protooncogene => that cell will zombify, multiply and be fruitful like reanimated rabbits in heat. Saying KIMCHI CAUSES CANCER is not a bit, but super disingenuous because kimchi, in itself, like pickles, cigars, and other things, don't cause cancer, in moderation. Depending on the item, the def. of "moderation" may vary. Disingenuous because attacking something a culture's "bread and butter" for whatever personal reason is ...well disingenuous. Abuse of those things contributes and can be said to "cause" cancer.

Also, Joe- it is and has been a staple because it's a) cheap b) materials are readily available c) easy to make (ish) and d) stores well. Especially in modern history, this would endear a certain generation to the food because...cheap, "good", plentiful, and has redemptive qualities. That doesn't mean its healthy (which its really not. Garlic + cabbage? yes). "Back then" (and, excuse me if im wrong here) there were probably no awareness of cancer, hence it was un-reported (ref. "Hermit Kingdom" where turn-of-the-century royal advisors suggested things like "make a boat out of feathers" to combat cannonballs. Like seriously. I read annals about things likethis back in college)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: