Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014 World Cup
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: 2014 World Cup Reply with quote

AFC (4)
Australia (4th appearance)
Iran (4th appearance)
Japan (5th appearance)
South Korea (9th appearance)

CAF (5)
Algeria (4th appearance)
Cameroon (7th appearance)
Ghana (3rd appearance)
Ivory Coast (3rd appearance)
Nigeria (5th appearance)

CONCACAF (4)
Costa Rica (4th appearance)
Honduras (3rd appearance)
Mexico (15th appearance)
United States (10th appearance)

CONMEBOL (6)
Argentina (16th appearance)
Brazil (20th appearance)
Chile (9th appearance)
Colombia (5th appearance)
Ecuador (3rd appearance)
Uruguay (12th appearance)

UEFA (13)
Belgium (12th appearance)
Bosnia-Herzegovina (debut)
Croatia (4th appearance)
England (14th appearance)
France (14th appearance)
Germany (18th appearance)
Greece (4th appearance)
Italy (18th appearance)
Netherlands (10th appearance)
Portugal (6th appearance)
Russia (10th appearance)
Spain (14th appearance)
Switzerland (10th appearance)

And finally just some quick information about the qualified teams.

- 24 of the 32 teams who qualified had participated in the 2010 World Cup. Of the 8 teams which didn't, there is only one debutant, Bosnia-Herzegovina. Colombia return to the World Cup for the first time since 1998, the longest absence of previously qualified teams. Both Russia and Belgium make their return for the first time since 2002. Four teams; Costa Rica, Croatia, Ecuador and Iran return after missing the previous tournament in South Africa.

- The eight teams who played in South Africa but failed to qualify for this tournament were: North Korea, South Africa, New Zealand, Paraguay, Denmark, Serbia, Slovakia and Slovenia. Both Paraguay and Slovakia made the knockout stages with Paraguay making a run to the quarters.

- Africa saw no changes from 2010 where the same exact five teams who qualified for South Africa have also qualified for Brazil.

- The OFC will not be represented in the 2014 World Cup while CONCACAF will have 4 representatives for only the 2nd time in World Cup history (2006).

- The highest turnover was seen in UEFA where four teams which did not qualify for the 2010 World Cup have qualified this time.

And last but not least is the seeding for the draw on DECEMBER 6. Only thing known at the moment is the eight seeded teams for the draw and those are Brazil, Spain, Germany, Argentina, Colombia, Belgium, Uruguay, Switzerland.

The rest of the seeding system has not officially been revealed by FIFA but using the 2010 seeding the three remaining pots will be arranged by something like this:

- Pot 2: Unseeded UEFA teams
- Pot 3: CAF + CONMEBOL
- Pot 4: AFC + CONCACAF

Only difference is this time there are 9 unseeded European teams which will ensure one UEFA team will be put in a group with a South America seed. Whether or not they get their own pot or are put in the 7-team CAF/CONMEBOL pot is not important but the team which is put here is not yet known. Using the October FIFA rankings which is what FIFA used for seeding, this team would be France

Draw is December 6th.
El Bandito

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping the South Korea-Iran games will be good for some on-field brawls and dirty football. Also, with Japan being their opponents as well, this might be the best World Cup yet. (Never watched it before 2006 here in Korea, so what do I know?)
radcon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Bandito wrote:
I'm hoping the South Korea-Iran games will be good for some on-field brawls and dirty football. Also, with Japan being their opponents as well, this might be the best World Cup yet. (Never watched it before 2006 here in Korea, so what do I know?)

I think you are confused. Groups won't be decided until December 6. No team has opponents yet.
Hokie21

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Bandito wrote:

AFC = Asian Football Confederation.

The countries in the OP are sorted by which countries qualified in each confederation/region, these aren't the W.C. groups.
El Bandito

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie21 wrote:
El Bandito wrote:

AFC = Asian Football Confederation.

The countries in the OP are sorted by which countries qualified in each confederation/region, these aren't the W.C. groups.

Ok. Being a yank, I am fully ignorant of the proceedings of the World Cup.
Hokie21

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you gone to any of the soccer matches since you've been in Korea? Inexpensive and a lot of fun IMO.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie21 wrote:
Have you gone to any of the soccer matches since you've been in Korea? Inexpensive and a lot of fun IMO.

Agreed.

We used to attend K-league matches and the international game when we could. We went to a Busan Ipark game on our last visit and it was a lot of fun and so damn cheap!
catman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea and Japan cannot be drawn into the same group as they are from the same regional conference. The only way the could meet is in the playoff round. How epic would that be? Highly unlikely though.

I would like to see Korea be drawn into a group with either England or the US. It would be fun to see how the students react with their teachers from these respective countries.

I have a buddy going with his Dad to Brazil for the tournament. Even though it is in South America it is very expensive. Not a cheap tourist destination.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catman did happened in 2002 as Korea was in the same group as the US. We still lived in Korea then and it ended up being a lot of fun.

I watched the US-Korea game (a draw) with a group of my university students and some faculty members and we had a ball.

I think that as long as people avoid stupid goading then its all in good fun.
catman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
Catman did happened in 2002 as Korea was in the same group as the US. We still lived in Korea then and it ended up being a lot of fun.

I watched the US-Korea game (a draw) with a group of my university students and some faculty members and we had a ball.

I think that as long as people avoid stupid goading then its all in good fun.

I came to Korea right after that. I know things got pretty political with the game. Different time back then though.
Hokie21

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
Hokie21 wrote:

Agreed.

We used to attend K-league matches and the international game when we could. We went to a Busan Ipark game on our last visit and it was a lot of fun and so damn cheap!

Yup! I used to be able to see the World Cup stadium in Suwon from my apartment. The crowds at the Bluewing games were great, lots of group cheers and singing....super cheap beer and snacks. You still have to be careful though as it was pretty common to run into a lot of your students there.

Anyways, check them out if you can Bandito.
El Bandito

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie21 wrote:
PatrickGHBusan wrote:
Hokie21 wrote:

Agreed.

Yup! I used to be able to see the World Cup stadium in Suwon from my apartment. The crowds at the Bluewing games were great, lots of group cheers and singing....super cheap beer and snacks. You still have to be careful though as it was pretty common to run into a lot of your students there.

Yeah. The Ulsan stadium is a 30 minute walk from my house. I've got a lot of free time coming up before the new year,
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Bandito wrote:
Hokie21 wrote:
PatrickGHBusan wrote:
Hokie21 wrote:

Agreed.

Yeah. The Ulsan stadium is a 30 minute walk from my house. I've got a lot of free time coming up before the new year,

Well worth it to go check out a few games.

It is not all that expensive and it is a lot of fun.
fezmond

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Bandito wrote:
Hokie21 wrote:
PatrickGHBusan wrote:
Hokie21 wrote:

Agreed.

You might wanna hurry up then. Season ends next week, Ulsan will be champs.
Gaininganadventur

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: World Cup Reply with quote

I can't wait to watch! It will be interesting to see what teams are in which group win the draw is finished.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: