Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HBC questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El Bandito

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: HBC questions Reply with quote

I haven't been up around that way for about 3 years and I have a 1 and a half week training seminar coming up and was wondering about a few things:

1- Is Casablanca, the Moroccan sandwich place still open?

2-Is the Orange Tree still around and does Mike still own it?

3-There was a place that seemed to be going downhill fast when I was there last called The Doghouse, owned by a K-lesbian couple. Is that still there as well?

The hotel is going to be far from that area, possibly, so I didn't want to waste a trek all the way there just to find out my favorite haunts are gone and go back bummed out.

Also, any suggestions for cool stuff in HBC/Itaewon that has come up in the last two years or so would be great.

Cheers
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: HBC questions Reply with quote

El Bandito wrote:
I haven't been up around that way for about 3 years and I have a 1 and a half week training seminar coming up and was wondering about a few things:

3-There was a place that seemed to be going downhill fast when I was there last called The Doghouse, owned by a K-lesbian couple. Is that still there as well?

The hotel is going to be far from that area, possibly, so I didn't want to waste a trek all the way there just to find out my favorite haunts are gone and go back bummed out.

Also, any suggestions for cool stuff in HBC/Itaewon that has come up in the last two years or so would be great.

Cheers

1) Yes it's still there and doing a heck of a business, they spent a month in Morocco last month and came back with an even spicier recipe for their chicken sandwiches.

2) After tonight Orange Tree will be no more, I posted this on the Korean thread. Indigos and Orange Tree are being kicked out for another god forbid hipster place

3) Never heard of the doghouse and I've been here 6 years

HBC is becoming gentrified and hipster big time now, not many foreigner oriented places left except for Phillies, Hungry Dog and Bonny's, apparently a lot of money is coming into area in anticipation of Yongsan garrison moving (but thats at least another 5-6 years away) along with the Koreanization of Itaewon and Kyungnidan and pushing lots of the old timers out
El Bandito

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: HBC questions Reply with quote

hogwonguy1979 wrote:
El Bandito wrote:

Cheers

1) Yes it's still there and doing a heck of a business, they spent a month in Morocco last month and came back with an even spicier recipe for their chicken sandwiches.

2) After tonight Orange Tree will be no more, I posted this on the Korean thread. Indigos and Orange Tree are being kicked out for another god forbid hipster place

3) Never heard of the doghouse and I've been here 6 years

HBC is becoming gentrified and hipster big time now, not many foreigner oriented places left except for Phillies, Hungry Dog and Bonny's, apparently a lot of money is coming into area in anticipation of Yongsan garrison moving (but thats at least another 5-6 years away) along with the Koreanization of Itaewon and Kyungnidan and pushing lots of the old timers out

YEAH. Hungry Dog was the name of it. I was thinking of an old sausage place in Portland. Never heard of Bonny's. I always hated the clientele and food at Phillies (pre-non-smoking Phillies), and the place I really thought was a shithole-bartenders and clientele alike- was a place called The Local.

Oh, I forgot to add: That totally sucks balls about Orange Tree. I remember many nights there hanging out with Mike and Jake and drinking shots of Fire Water until the sun was coming up.
fezmond

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OT is going for sure? What will happen to Mike?

Orange Tree is a complete dive but at least it has character, a lot like Seoul Pub.

Bonny's seems to be doing a roaring trade these days. Good beer selection and pizza is decent.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fezmond wrote:

I haven't personally verified but a bud spoke with Mike Sunday and heard Orange Tree will still be around for a while, the lease is not up for a while still.

Quote:
Orange Tree is a complete dive but at least it has character, a lot like Seoul Pub.

Yes, I love me a good dive bar like these two.
El Bandito

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
fezmond wrote:

I haven't personally verified but a bud spoke with Mike Sunday and heard Orange Tree will still be around for a while, the lease is not up for a while still.

Quote:

Yes, I love me a good dive bar like these two.

Booyah! I'll be hitting up that place when I'm in Seoul. OT has all the stuff I love about a bar. I wish Gunther was still around at 3 Alley.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: