Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheapest Online University courses in the world???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itiswhatitis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Cheapest Online University courses in the world??? Reply with quote

I'm a Canadian teaching in Korea.

As a personal goal I want to take some undergrad. math classes (calculus, stats etc).

I was thinking Athabasca University in Canada. AU is suppose to be alright BUT it's good to explore all the possibilities.

Some would say that AU is reasonable, some would say cheap, some would say expensive....it's all relative.

Since it's just for extra learning and a personal goal, I do not care which university the courses are from.

Has anyone taken cheap online classes from say a university in South Africa or somewhere else in the world?

Thanks in advance.
Ginormousaurus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's just for personal knowledge, you may want to check out something like MIT's Open Courseware or Coursera. These might take a bit more self-discipline.

For what it's worth, I did a math class through AU while I was in Korea and I enjoyed it. I took my tests at the Canadian Embassy.
ThePoet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I graduated from AU and it has done very well for me in terms of career. However, there are many many less expensive, accredited (or equivalent) universities in N. America and abroad. For expense with national recognition, the least expensive distance programs are available from the University of South Africa. UNISA is recognized as a leading university and many graduates present at conferences and within journal pages.

If you want to look at primarily N.A. regional accreditation with inexpensive costs, check out CalState Dominguez Hills and Amberton University.Another option is to take a look at the programs available at Excelsior College or Thomas Edison State College and then align your needs to their portfolio procedures. Once you have done that, you can take the free "courses" at Saylor.org or khanacademy.org and then challenge the exams for 90$ for a 3 credit course (the exams are invigilated so I don't know their policies about administration of exams in foreign countries).

A couple of really good resources are the forums at degreeinfo.com where many very knowlegable people discuss the pros and cons of many universities. You might also be interested in a couple of privately run sites in which people have compiled lists of degrees for the budget-conscious (some of the lists are old and the pages haven't been updated for a few years, so when you click them, they will take you to a universities' error page - click home, and then go to the program tabs). The Masters degrees listed are from universities that also offer distance undergrad courses. Go to:

http://bain4weeks.com/mastermenu.html

and for doctoral programs try:

https://sites.google.com/site/aggietechie/home

I hope that helps.

ThePoet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: