Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Those of you with Zest Airline tickets may want to read this

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Zackback



Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Location: Kyungbuk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Those of you with Zest Airline tickets may want to read this Reply with quote

http://ph.news.yahoo.com/philippine-budget-carrier-grounded-safety-issues-190423310.html

Budget Philippine carrier Zest Air was banned from flying over safety infractions, effective immediately, the country's aviation regulator said on Friday.
The small airline is suspended over incidents that compromised several flights as well as other violations of air safety rules, Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines deputy director-general John Andrews said in a letter to operator Zest Airways Inc.
"(Your) Air Operator Certificate is suspended and (you are) hereby precluded to engage in air carrier operations ... until this Authority is assured that the necessary corrective actions and compliance with aviation safety standards have been undertaken," Andrews said.
Five Zest Air domestic flights were grounded between July 22 and August 13 due to problems ranging from hydraulic systems issues, fuel overflow, and a missing fuel coupling cap, Andrews said.
A Zest Air plane was also found refuelling on Wednesday while its passengers were on board, he added.
Zest Air pilots, meanwhile, were found to have exceeded the flying time limit of 100 hours per month "due to (a) rise in flight operations and flight crew shortage".
Twenty-four of its pilots exceeded the monthly limit last year, Andrews said.
Meanwhile, the regulator said Zest Air had failed to appoint an "accountable manager" after the resignation of its previous executive on July 19.
Andrews said the manager is responsible for "ensuring that all flight operations and maintenance activities can be financed and carried out to the highest degree of safety standards".
Zest Air, which operates out of Manila airport, serves the domestic market.
Malaysia-based Air Asia, Southeast Asia's biggest budget carrier, bought a 49 percent stake in Zest Airways in March.
Zest Air officials could not be reached for comment Friday, while a spokeswoman for Air Asia told AFP the company will make a formal statement later.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
actionjackson



Joined: 30 Dec 2007
Location: Any place I'm at

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Those of you with Zest Airline tickets may want to read Reply with quote

Zackback wrote:
http://ph.news.yahoo.com/philippine-budget-carrier-grounded-safety-issues-190423310.html

Budget Philippine carrier Zest Air was banned from flying over safety infractions, effective immediately, the country's aviation regulator said on Friday.
The small airline is suspended over incidents that compromised several flights as well as other violations of air safety rules, Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines deputy director-general John Andrews said in a letter to operator Zest Airways Inc.
"(Your) Air Operator Certificate is suspended and (you are) hereby precluded to engage in air carrier operations ... until this Authority is assured that the necessary corrective actions and compliance with aviation safety standards have been undertaken," Andrews said.
Five Zest Air domestic flights were grounded between July 22 and August 13 due to problems ranging from hydraulic systems issues, fuel overflow, and a missing fuel coupling cap, Andrews said.
A Zest Air plane was also found refuelling on Wednesday while its passengers were on board, he added.
Zest Air pilots, meanwhile, were found to have exceeded the flying time limit of 100 hours per month "due to (a) rise in flight operations and flight crew shortage".
Twenty-four of its pilots exceeded the monthly limit last year, Andrews said.
Meanwhile, the regulator said Zest Air had failed to appoint an "accountable manager" after the resignation of its previous executive on July 19.
Andrews said the manager is responsible for "ensuring that all flight operations and maintenance activities can be financed and carried out to the highest degree of safety standards".
Zest Air, which operates out of Manila airport, serves the domestic market.
Malaysia-based Air Asia, Southeast Asia's biggest budget carrier, bought a 49 percent stake in Zest Airways in March.
Zest Air officials could not be reached for comment Friday, while a spokeswoman for Air Asia told AFP the company will make a formal statement later.

This caused a friend of mine to get stuck in the Philippines for a few days more than he wanted. He was not very happy about it. He found out Friday he wouldn't be able to board his plane Saturday. Their best guess at getting him back was probably Thursday. He ended up having to buy another ticket with a different airline and is hoping he gets a refund.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
passport220



Joined: 14 Jun 2006
Location: Gyeongsangbuk-do province

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Zestair website: http://www.flyzest.com/index.php



20 August 2013



PRESS STATEMENT


Zest Air is pleased to announce that the CAAP suspension has been lifted. We will resume all of our international flights to and from Manila to China, South Korea, Malaysia and to domestic destinations of Kalibo (Boracay), Cebu, Davao, Iloilo, Bacolod, Tagbilaran, Tacloban, Cagayan de Oro and Puerto Princesa (Palawan), as soon as the inspection of all aircraft has been completed. The inspection is expected to be completed in a day barring any weather issues.

We would like to reiterate that none of the issues raised by the regulatory authority against us pertains to the safety and reliability of our 11 aircraft, but were procedural and technical matters that have sufficiently been addressed. Safety is and always will be our foremost priority.

We regret the major disruptions caused to thousands of our guests as the result of this unprecedented action by the regulatory authority and we would like to express our sincerest appreciation to our valued guests, friends, business partners and loyal fans for the patience, support and understanding over the past four days. All guests impacted by this disruption will be offered a full refund or a complimentary move.

We are humbled by the outpouring of support especially in social media. Thank you very much and rest assured that we remain steadfast in our commitment to provide the public with safe, reliable and affordable travel experience. We are more determined than ever to be the best player in the market and deliver the best service and product to our guests.
--------------------------------------

Local news here in Manila says 3 of 11 of Zest's planes are back in the air, the other should be clear in the next day or two.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
I'm With You



Joined: 01 Sep 2011

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

careful riding the ferry services between the islands, also!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jvalmer



Joined: 06 Jun 2003

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price you pay for going with the discount carriers in 3rd world countries. Good price, but you risk being stranded if they go under, or get grounded for whatever reason.

I for one rather stay with the larger ones that have been around for decades, at least I'll, probably (crossing-fingers), get re-routed or refunded if anything goes sour.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
b-class rambler



Joined: 25 Mar 2009

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never flown with ZestAir and I can't currently foresee that I'd ever have any reason to. But this one gave me a bit of a chuckle.

Quote:
"(Your) Air Operator Certificate is suspended and (you are) hereby precluded to engage in air carrier operations ... until this Authority is assured that the necessary corrective actions and compliance with aviation safety standards have been undertaken," Andrews said.
Five Zest Air domestic flights were grounded between July 22 and August 13 due to problems ranging from hydraulic systems issues, fuel overflow, and a missing fuel coupling cap, Andrews said.
A Zest Air plane was also found refuelling on Wednesday while its passengers were on board, he added.
Zest Air pilots, meanwhile, were found to have exceeded the flying time limit of 100 hours per month "due to (a) rise in flight operations and flight crew shortage".
Twenty-four of its pilots exceeded the monthly limit last year, Andrews said.



Quote:
From Zestair website: http://www.flyzest.com/index.php

20 August 2013

PRESS STATEMENT

We would like to reiterate that none of the issues raised by the regulatory authority against us pertains to the safety and reliability of our 11 aircraft, but were procedural and technical matters that have sufficiently been addressed. Safety is and always will be our foremost priority.


Laughing

This is brilliant. When you first read the above response to the what the Philippines aviation regulator had said about ZestAir, you think, "what an absolute pile of BS - of course it was safety related, you lying ****s".

But then read more carefully as if you're taking an English language comprehension exam and ZestAir are actually correct. The safety and reliability of their actual aircraft themselves indeed wasn't questioned. Numerous and, on the face of it, rather disturbing safety issues relating to people operating and servicing those aircraft were raised. But, yes, they're right, not the aircraft themselves. So nothing to worry about!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yaya



Joined: 25 Feb 2003
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been flying Cebu Pacific Air for years as well as AirAsia. I've flown Zest a few times IN the Phils and delays were the biggest problem. AirAsia's takeover Zest, however, should make things better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wishfullthinkng



Joined: 05 Mar 2010

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
I've been flying Cebu Pacific Air for years as well as AirAsia. I've flown Zest a few times IN the Phils and delays were the biggest problem. AirAsia's takeover Zest, however, should make things better.


you must be kidding. airasia is the most incompetant "major" carrier i've ever seen. delays and rescheduling is the norm, NOT a rare occurance with them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
I-am-me



Joined: 21 Feb 2006
Location: Hermit Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think no matter who takes over zest, the major problem is weather and inefficient runways that flood easily.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
bossface



Joined: 05 Aug 2006

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just flew Zest for Chuseok, booked through the Air Asia website. Total mess.

My outbound flight was scheduled to happen at 8 p.m. on the Tuesday before Chuseok, but I got an email a couple weeks beforehand telling me that the flight had been rescheduled for 8 a.m. on the same day. This meant I would either have to cancel my trip or call in sick on Tuesday. I have a lot of sick days so I chose option B.

On my return flight, I was on the redeye out of Manila Sunday night (technically Monday morning.) The flight left over three hours late, and got to ICN nearly 4 hours after it's expected arrival time. Thus, I was about 3 hours late getting to work on Monday.

The flight was dirt cheap (190,000 won) so there's that. Still, I wouldn't fly with them again unless I had a day or two of wiggle room on outbound and inbound flights.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
saram_



Joined: 13 May 2008

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wishfullthinkng wrote:
airasia is the most incompetant "major" carrier i've ever seen. delays and rescheduling is the norm, NOT a rare occurance with them.


Air Asia has just won an award as the best budget carrier so maybe it's not all bad.. http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2013/12/02/AirAsia-named-best-budget-carrier.aspx?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Have a return flight to Cebu booked for the new year with Air Asia, Zest Air- 213,000won.
I ll have my fingers crossed things will go smoothly but hard to argue with the price...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wishfullthinkng



Joined: 05 Mar 2010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winning best budget carrier is akin to winning an award for "least regretful tramp stamp".

even the national carrier in the philippines isn't what i'd call top notch, but going down to air asia levels is asking for problems.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International