Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Black Friday Madness 2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think its an anomaly. It is widespread and involves mass media, and major commercial institutions. That is a far greater dynamic than individual people who may bump into you, sometimes on accident in a crowded subway in one of the most densely populated cities on Earth.

This is certainly more severe than any Korean subway action. I think it would be fair to say that the Korean action is of less intensity and much more spread out during the year, whereas the American variety is of greater severity and potential for injury and confrontation.

Quote:
I don't think any American would try to defend this and I find most Americans are pretty open and honest about the social problems there.

So if everyday a Korean acquaintance of you came in with the latest news story of American imbecility and "bad culture" you wouldn't figure that the guy had some sort of axe to grind? You'd just nod and accept his judgments. You wouldn't compare things to what Koreans do? You wouldn't possibly defend some of those as being unique to America's social climate (our country is special, please try to understand) and so on?

Just saying that what is good for the goose is good for the gander. You may try the "Oh but in our case, here's how we are different" (which is little more than the aforementioned "our country is special, please try to understand") but come on. At least the peasants in suits, as we like to term Koreans, aren't engaged in this kind of deranged cultural spectacle.
cabeza

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
I don't think its an anomaly. It is widespread and involves mass media, and major commercial institutions. That is a far greater dynamic than individual people who may bump into you, sometimes on accident in a crowded subway in one of the most densely populated cities on Earth.

This is certainly more severe than any Korean subway action. I think it would be fair to say that the Korean action is of less intensity and much more spread out during the year, whereas the American variety is of greater severity and potential for injury and confrontation.

Quote:
I don't think any American would try to defend this and I find most Americans are pretty open and honest about the social problems there.

So if everyday a Korean acquaintance of you came in with the latest news story of American imbecility and "bad culture" you wouldn't figure that the guy had some sort of axe to grind? You'd just nod and accept his judgments. You wouldn't compare things to what Koreans do? You wouldn't possibly defend some of those as being unique to America's social climate (our country is special, please try to understand) and so on?

Well I'm not American, so I wouldn't really care. Though, yes, I would imagine he had a hair up his arse about something.

So you are saying this black Friday mayhem is unique to the USA?

I'm saying it's an anomaly because it's obviously not an everyday occurrence. If I went shopping on May 24th would I likely experience huge crowds, idiots wrestling over boxes, cops tasering shoppers?

A lot of things that people complain about here, about Korea, are everyday common events.

Also, why did you come in here and bring up Korea?

Do you think Koreans in America have a forum where they discuss the social ills/annoyances of the US? I know there are a few for Koreans in New Zealand and Australia. It's human nature to complain about shit that is different to what we are used to. This crusade you have, it's not necessary.
radcon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:

Quote:

Just saying that what is good for the goose is good for the gander. You may try the "Oh but in our case, here's how we are different" (which is little more than the aforementioned "our country is special, please try to understand") but come on. At least the peasants in suits, as we like to term Koreans, aren't engaged in this kind of deranged cultural spectacle.

Get real. If someone doesn't want to be bumped in the US all they have to do is not go shopping at 4am the day after Thanksgiving. Problem solved. Don't want to get bumped or cut in line in Korea, just stay in your house for all 365 days. If Korean department stores offered such low prices one day a year, you better believe Korean shoppers would up their rudeness game several notches to get in on that action.
optik404

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radcon wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

Quote:

Get real. If someone doesn't want to be bumped in the US all they have to do is not go shopping at 4am the day after Thanksgiving. Problem solved. Don't want to get bumped or cut in line in Korea, just stay in your house for all 365 days. If Korean department stores offered such low prices one day a year, you better believe Korean shoppers would up their rudeness game several notches to get in on that action.

Let's be real, people get bumped in the US. People cut in line in the US. The only difference is, nine out of ten times you'll get an apology. And strangers are also more likely to call you out on your BS if you cut in line.

A simple google search will you show you the following:

https://www.google.com/search?q=people+cutting+in+line+site:answers.yahoo.com&safe=off&espv=210&es_sm=122

https://www.google.com/search?q=people+bumping+into+you+site:answers.yahoo.com&safe=off&espv=210&es_sm=122&biw=1920&bih=921

Quote:
People bumping into me while I'm 6 months pregnant?
Bettina asked 2 years ago
I'm just at the six month mark in my pregnancy and am really showing. Lately I've had lots of people bumping into me and hitting me with their bags while out shopping, and I'm wondering if I'm just being emotional or if this really is rude behaviour? They don't even bother apologising!
I was raised to be polite to people, step out of their way, hold doors open etc. I go out of my way to assist the elderly and pregnant women, and kind of thought it was a normal thing to do. But apparently it's not!
I was in a waiting room at the doctors the other day and there were no seats, so I stood with a couple of other people. As soon as a seat opened up, a young man went and sat down without even seeing if anyone else wanted it. I was feeling really faint as well, as it was hot in there.
I can understand if I didn't look pregnant, but my tummy is huge for how far along I am.
Am I being irrational or is this really just rude and people have no common courtesy these days?

But I thought this only happened on Black Friday in the Red, White and Blue? Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: