Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sorry, No Koreans Allowed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cj1976

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 3 years ago I was on a Vietnam Air flight to Vietnam. I was sitting next to a group of real country bumpkin ajosshis. The weren't behaving badly at all, but I think it must have been their first ever time on a plane - because they looked quite confused when the stewardess told them they couldn't smoke in the toilet!
They had just finished their meal and were walking to the toilet brandishing a cigarette and lighter, as if it was the most natural thing in the world..
jvalmer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj1976 wrote:
About 3 years ago I was on a Vietnam Air flight to Vietnam. I was sitting next to a group of real country bumpkin ajosshis. The weren't behaving badly at all, but I think it must have been their first ever time on a plane - because they looked quite confused when the stewardess told them they couldn't smoke in the toilet!
They had just finished their meal and were walking to the toilet brandishing a cigarette and lighter, as if it was the most natural thing in the world..

A couple decades too late, i guess... lol... Do you remember smoking on airplanes?
cj1976

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvalmer wrote:
cj1976 wrote:

A couple decades too late, i guess... lol... Do you remember smoking on airplanes?

I remember being on a Turkish Airlines flight in 1988 and some guys were smoking.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj1976 wrote:
jvalmer wrote:
cj1976 wrote:

I remember being on a Turkish Airlines flight in 1988 and some guys were smoking.

It was officially banned later than I thought. Although I think most banned by the mid-90's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflight_smoking
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clearly remember smoking on a flight from Portugal to UK in 1996 but I think it was banned on long haul flights even later as it was felt 12 hours or so was too long to expect people to refrain
optik404

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister threw up on a flight back in the 80's from all the smoking. I made fun of her.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should open up a smoker's airline. Bring back the martinis and cigarettes and people dressing up to fly and people drinking while their plane was being hijacked by some guy claiming the IRS was scamming him.
joelove

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of a group as much criticized as Koreans during my time in Asia. Except Americans, but they get put down everywhere, and often for no reason. In Taiwan, in Vietnam, in Thailand, and in China, I heard it numerous times, we don't like Koreans, mainly the men, and from a good few women, marry anybody you like but not a Korean man. Just my experience. Why are Korean men so disliked? Oh wait, I lived there many years.
EZE

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joelove wrote:
I've never heard of a group as much criticized as Koreans during my time in Asia. Except Americans, but they get put down everywhere, and often for no reason. In Taiwan, in Vietnam, in Thailand, and in China, I heard it numerous times, we don't like Koreans, mainly the men, and from a good few women, marry anybody you like but not a Korean man. Just my experience. Why are Korean men so disliked? Oh wait, I lived there many years.

I think Korean men get an undeserved bad reputation. From my observation, Korean men are busting their humps to the point of exhaustion while their wives run right through the money and then some, putting their family budgets and the South Korean economy in jeopardy with household debt. Korean dudes have been nothing but amazingly polite to me with so many random acts of kindness, and I consider Korean guys to have much, much better manners than me and other men of my nationality. It's the Korean ladies who always jump line. If they need their soju so quickly that they can't wait their turn in line behind of a person with one or two items, the Betty Ford clinic needs to open a branch on every street in South Korea. It happened again tonight. She needed her beer and she needed it NOW! She didn't have time to wait her turn. The dudes never do that.

The Chinese guys have no room to criticize the Korean men. Chinese little emperors are the only people on Earth who jump line more often than Korean princesses.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yet those countries gobble up Korean boy bands....

Well, I'll split the apologist difference- Korean old men suck and they hates them.

Korean men under the age of 30? Can't get enough.
Mix1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZE wrote:

I think Korean men get an undeserved bad reputation.

Pretty sure they earned it fair and square. It didn't come outta nowhere.

Quote:

Korean dudes have been nothing but amazingly polite to me with so many random acts of kindness, and I consider Korean guys to have much, much better manners than me and other men of my nationality.

Wow.

So which one are you, Chinese or Russian? Laughing

Seriously though, they CAN be polite in certain situations, but on the whole, NOT REALLY, hence the reputation. I'm surprised anyone could categorize them as "amazingly polite" but I guess it would depend on one's standards and experience.
Hokie21

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lived on 4 continents and traveled to many countries and there is only one country where I've been assaulted and harassed by the locals. You guessed it, Korea. Polite men? No freakin way. I've met some very friendly Korean guys in the early/mid 20's (staff/co-teachers at work.) But the 40+ year old Korean men? Never met a ruder or more arrogant bunch in my life.
le-paul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tip- when flying long distances, take the first, short leg of your flight to X (Japan Narita for example) then the connecting flight for the long haul part of your flight = removing koreans/korean food from the equation.
It is slightly more annoying on the return trip (a bit like culture shock to the nuts), but overall more enjoyable and stress free.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie21 wrote:
I've lived on 4 continents and traveled to many countries and there is only one country where I've been assaulted and harassed by the locals. You guessed it, Korea. Polite men? No freakin way. I've met some very friendly Korean guys in the early/mid 20's (staff/co-teachers at work.) But the 40+ year old Korean men? Never met a ruder or more arrogant bunch in my life.

You never got in a fight back home?
BadBadMan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Saipan now, and while I can agree to seeing the occasional drunk, happy-go-lucky (aka loud) ajosshi and ajumma group, Koreans in general aren't that bad. This is a destination for people with slightly bigger budgets than those that are visiting Southeast Asia, though, so that might have something to do with it.

Word is that certain major hotels take Chinese tourist money with a little hesitation these days. Apparently, there's some Chinese superstition along the lines of "taking a dump in a nice place will bring you good luck"... Meaning some Chinese tourists take a dump in non-bathroom areas of their hotel rooms before checking out. I can imagine it'd be a problem with carpeted floors when the next round of guests are about to check in.

The economy's been in the crapper for a long time and increased Chinese tourism is an absolute godsend, though, so I doubt we'll ever see an outright ban based on nationality like we're seeing from Indonesia. That, and U.S. anti-discrimination law.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: