Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

World Cup 2014: U.S. in the "Group of Death''
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sector7G

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: World Cup 2014: U.S. in the "Group of Death'' Reply with quote

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1641802/us-play-ghana-portugal-germany-world-cup?cc=4716

COSTA DO SAUIPE, Brazil -- The U.S. drew a daunting task for next year's World Cup: difficult opponents, tropical venues and a wearying 9,000-mile zigzag journey across Brazil.
The Americans wound up with the potentially punishing group they feared and will play Ghana, Portugal and Germany next June as they try to achieve a U.S. first: reaching the knockout phase twice in a row.

"Everybody is saying that this is the 'Group of Death' and it's such a hard challenge," former American captain John Harkes said. "I still think that the U.S. can rise to the occasion."
Sector7G

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Cup Group Previews
• Group A
Brazil, Cameroon, Croatia, Mexico

• Group B
Australia, Chile, Netherlands, Spain

• Group C
Colombia, Greece, Ivory Coast, Japan

• Group D
Costa Rica, England, Italy, Uruguay

• Group E
Ecuador, France, Honduras, Switzerland

• Group F
Argentina, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Iran, Nigeria

• Group G
Germany, Portugal, United States, Ghana

• Group H
Belgium, Russia, Algeria, South Korea
PEIGUY

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do people think of Korea's group ? Relatively easy or difficult. Algeria shouldn't be much do a match for them. Russia and Belgium ?
misher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously how the hell does South Korea have such a horseshoe up its rear?

This is the third WC in a row where their group is easy or even the EASIEST qualifying group. Russia is a basket case. Belgium? Meh. Algeria? Group stage fodder.

I mean most groups will have a clear heavyweight (tier one squad) with a tier 1.5/2 team for second place. Then 2 teams that are just lucky to be there. I mean in 2010 they had Argentina (tier one) but with the other teams being Greece and Nigeria, second place was more or less gift wrapped. Ditto 2006. Greece was a garbage team by then and Ghana was the only African team that could give tier one teams a run for their money.

France was supposed to be the tier one team in their group 2006. Then the other competition? Switzerland and togo. A real gauntlet.

I'm not saying Korea ever has it easy, no team REALLY does, but if in Qatar they get one of the groups of death they have no basis for complaints even though they'll probably say it is racism and unfair.

Some of the groups are just brutal. A B D and G.

Algeria is round one fodder. Russia has never been able to put it together and Belgium was good a LONG time ago but is hardly the team they once were.

If South Korea doesn't win the group I'd say that would be a dissapointment. No Germanys Italys Netherlands England, Mex, Usa Brasil Arg France portugal big boy teams etc until the knockout stages.

Que Steelrails et Al saying Belgium and Russia are actually powerhouses and South Korea is in tough. Comparatively speaking they are NOT.
Hokie21

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PEIGUY wrote:
What do people think of Korea's group ? Relatively easy or difficult. Algeria shouldn't be much do a match for them. Russia and Belgium ?

It's ridiculously easy.
catman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Group H is one of the easer groups but Belgium has improved a lot over the past few years. They are currently ranked 11th.
Korea could place second in the group. It all depends on their game against Russia to open their tournament.

England has finally been drawn into a tough group. No easy games.

Last edited by catman on Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:22 am; edited 1 time in total
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and Belgium was good a LONG time ago but is hardly the team they once were.

You seen the EPL recently? Hazard, Mirallas, Mignolet, Dembele Lukaku and Fellaini. All quality players and Hazard in particular is world class.
Deja

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with misher. Exactly what I wanted to write to the letter Smile
misher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and Belgium was good a LONG time ago but is hardly the team they once were.

You seen the EPL recently? Hazard, Mirallas, Mignolet, Dembele Lukaku and Fellaini. All quality players and Hazard in particular is world class.

I'm well aware that Belgium has a young and up and coming team. However they unproven on the world stage, Belgium hasn't been anywhere deep in the WC since the 80s. They didn't qualify for the last 2 and got killed in the group stages in the ones prior. Many teams looks great on paper because they have A B and C player in the EPL, la liga etc. and the &$)! the bed when it counts. Belgium is still young unproven and not in the same category as the big boys yet and that is my point. Korea has avoided all powerhouse contending squads in the group round. That is ridiculously lucky. No teams are in their group that will pimp slap them like Arg did in 2010. Could you imagine the netizen complaints if Korea was in Costa Rica's, Chile's or Ghana's place ( all of those teams could beat Korea on any given day imo.) ?
jazzmaster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Belgium will win the group.
matthagwon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Group F is a shoe in for Argentina.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PEIGUY wrote:

Belgium is the favorite to win this group and they have a pretty strong team this time. Lots of quality young players and I saw a couple of their games, they can win this group pretty easily.

I think Korea has a reasonable shot at 2nd place and on to the knock out round. Russia is not that good and Algeria is the weakest team of the group. Then again you never can tell with WC games.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The US however are in tough. I do not see how they can get out of their group. Real tough draw for them.

Germany and Portugal are clearly going to be 1-2 in this group.
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthagwon wrote:
Group F is a shoe in

I've heard it's nice there as well.
Squire

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see us making it out of our group (England)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: