Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on Where to Live???

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zen Forever

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:25 am    Post subject: Advice on Where to Live??? Reply with quote

Help! I'm coming over there to teach and want to live in a great location with temparate weather, water bodies nearby, a bit of action, but not busy like a big city, relaxed general vibe. People tell me Pusan is fantastic. I've heard Jeju Island is nice. Any opinions or recommendations for a gal from Toronto who likes quiet good times and open spaces?
The Donkey

Location: Somewhere drinking, smoking and using foul language

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Costa Rica, go to Thailand, go anywhere but Korea
Zen Forever

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:51 am    Post subject: Diametrically Opposed Reply with quote

I think we think differently.

Would love to go to any of those other places but I'm thinking about cold, hard cash. And korea is where the dollars are at, right?
Captain Obvious 2.0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no real "temparate" part of Korea. Anywhere you land up will be cold in the winter and "hot, hot, damn hot" in the summer. Except in Jeju or along the southern coast. Instead it all moves up a notch to "cool in the winter, and hot, hot, hot, damn hot" in the summer.

Due to Korea's population density, there are lots of things to do depending on what you like. Health clubs, theatres, bars, PC rooms, coffee huts, shopping malls, cute girls, etc. Lacking through will be outdoor activities like climbing which will require a ride to where you can do that unless you end up extremely lucky and on the edge of a mountain (I've managed to get housing like that twice).

It's pretty hard to be end up bored. Plus with your wages, you can easily deck out an apartment with a nice entertainment setup on your first salary for those days when you're at home.
matthews_world

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Diametrically Opposed Reply with quote

I second what Captain said about the weather here. Expect winters so pack for 4 seasons.

Zen Forever wrote:

And korea is where the dollars are at, right?

Pretty good money here in Korea as well as Taiwan and Japan. If you want warmer weather but more polluted conditions go to Taiwan.

Each country has their ups and downs. Money is good but it ain't everything.

Begin reading this board to get a feel for teaching in Korea, i.e. business practices among schools and Korean culture. Korea is not going to be the pie in the sky that you hoped. Be prepared to encounter shifty school directors and somewhat dodgy business ethics. Many owners will want to give you the shaft or they'll often want the better end of the deal.

All schools won't be like this, just do your homework. I'm happy with my school and haven't had problems.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
weatherman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen much open space in this country. It is all forested , with the valleys opened for farming. The horizon is nil for it is wall to wall mountains too. The only really open space I have seen was on the island of Chedju Do with its sloping sides and wide areas of unforested pasture lands. If you really say you want beaches and mellow entertainment action, then this would be the place to go.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say Busan is a nice compromise between Jeju and Seoul.

I plan on working in Busan/Pusan one day. Could even be in two weeks (though I am not sure).
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow your heart son. It holds true as much today as it did long ago.
Joe Boxer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I feel like I just got rick rolled?
le-paul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my exp. (and feel free to correct me if Im misled), Seoul is where the money is, not korea. The rest of the country seems to have pretty shitty wages on the whole. The only other places that have more money, are where there is more industry - ie possibility for working 'extra shifts'. Those dont seem like the type of places you're specifying?

The weather here is also not to everyones liking. For me, I love it between November and April ish because its generally cold and dry. The downside is its brown everywhere which contrasts nicely with the beautiful architecture. Summer is very hot and humid everywhere.

As for entertainment. Most people here seem pretty content to get drunk and eat out (and play ultimate frisbee if you're a foreigner), so there are plenty of facilities to do that. If you have a hobby, youll probably find its possible to pursue it here (whatever it is) and its a good way to meet people. If not, most things are kind of 'quick fix', distraction type of things (like singing rooms, movies and coffee shops), with little substance.

As for country side, like the others said, its mostly, steep forested mountains or rice fields. Either way, unless youre stuck out in the sticks, you'll probably find it hard to be out of sight of buildings and earshot of people.

Busan is ok. Plenty of places to eat and drink and go shopping etc. There are a couple of university areas so plenty of places to have a drink and eat foreign food etc. There are also a lot mountains in the city. Again you've got the buildings everywhere and loads of people. The beaches are ugly as sack of cockz though and in the summer you literally cant get on a few of them.

I would say though, korea is pretty much the same anywhere you go. Its not like each city has its own style or vibe, they have the same buildings in a different order. As the asian folk say 'same same but different'.

There you go - choices choices!
flarsky

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it really necessary to bump a 10 year old thread?
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP was in Korean jail for 3 years for smuggling hash into the country.
Ginormousaurus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Died By Bear wrote:
The OP was in Korean jail for 3 years for smuggling hash into the country.

Wow! How do you know this?
le-paul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flarsky wrote:
Was it really necessary to bump a 10 year old thread?

hadn't seen that.

What a fecking waste of energy...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: