Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Browser settings for getting Korean websites to work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sivodsi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Browser settings for getting Korean websites to work Reply with quote

Hi there,
Hope some savvy web users can help me. I run win7 on a 64 bit machine, but using 32bit IE10, and I'm getting frustrated by my continual problems using Korean websites.

My question is for non-Korean users who use non-Korean computers to order from Korean websites: how do you do it? What version of IE, and what security settings do you use to successfully order things and navigate through the 'active-X hell' that are korean websites?

Two examples that I'm very interested in now:

1. My Korean wife found me a site to make a photo book: http://www.snaps.kr/
- I spend hours selecting and uploading photos for this but find that I cannot order it using my computer.

2. I used to use g-market without too much of a problem until their most recent change, and now I get a pop up from 'windows security' asking for my password, but not accepting it. Grrrr! I have to log on through the korean site to avoid this frustrating experience.

I would love to know what version of IE, and what security settings would allow me to get stuff done on these sites and other similar ones.

It would probably also be a useful thread for others attempting similar.

Look forward to any advice on the matter!
Sivodsi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How disappointing!

Really I can't believe that nobody uses Korean banking websites or gmarket here!

My latest frustration is trying to get my win7 ie11 pc to transfer my digital certificate to my smartphone. I get to the page on woori where it gives me options to use either QR code or ID, but I have to download and install something (I assume its active X). I press the 'manual install' button but nothing happens. Grrr.

I've just tried replacing IE11 with IE 10 but no luck, even after freeing up a whole lot of activeX controls in the security settings. Still no luck!

Does nobody have anything to share about this topic that might help me (and others) use Korean websites?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xp & ie6 for Korean websites and what ever you prefer for the rest of the world.

yfb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best luck with using Korean websites came from setting up a virtual machine with XP and IE8 on it (it's no longer required to use IE6, amazingly enough) If you're using Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate, you could download and install Windows XP mode.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

Then you'd have to go through the whole jazz of installing your certificate and whatever crap the website wants again.
Sivodsi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.

MS is bringing its support for XP to an end April this year, hopefully that will prompt the Korean govt to give up this crazy reliance on activeX

Anyway, I've found that the latest versions of the banks I use are actually usable in a win7 environment using 32 bit ie. I use std chartered 'breeze', woori 'global' and occasionally KEB.

With gmarket, I got my wife to put it on my android smartphone which is entirely in Korean, but I've taken screenshots of the important parts, and am now capable of ordering.

Gmarket can be browsed easily on chrome, but you cannot buy stuff, at least I could not. So I log in on chrome, save it in my cart, then switch to my smartphone and buy it. Which works efficiently with no swearing and cursing (which pleases my wife!).

Unfortunately, setting up a virtual xp might be the only way to tackle other Korean govt sites.

Hope this helps others!
Sivodsi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I'm stuck since I have home premium win7 that has to be upgraded to pro or ultimate to run the VM for xp, and it seems I can't do this through the MS website.

It's probably possible to upgrade through dubious means, but who do you trust?

Grrr.
Jake_Kim

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever trouble you're having with Korean websites - especially those still using some variations of Active X plug-ins - see if you can download and install Google Chrome's IE Tab Multi.
It is the most widespread way around without actually downgrading the Internet Explorer 9 or higher on your Windows, or the OS itself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: