Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Xenophobic KTX posters
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzmaster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: Xenophobic KTX posters Reply with quote

Has anyone else seen the posters about the KTX privitization? From what I could make out it was a Korean gate character giving the ktx train to a white looking male wearing a hat sporting the german and french flags. The text seems to read that they don't want a foreign company owning the ktx.
Now, I'm no fan of privitization, but why do Koreans resort to fanning the flames of xenophobia in this kind of situation?
I think it's because most Koreans have a deeply xenophobic streak. We saw it with the American beef, US army (Hi Psy), FTA, and other protests. Rather than focusing on highlighting how any private company could be a bad thing, they choose the xenophobic angle.
It's pathetic.
cdninkorea

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are these posters? I wouldn't know where to look for them. If anyone can post a (link to a) photo, it'd add a lot of context.
optik404

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on your description it doesn't seem xenophobic at all.
Popocatepetl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Xenophobic KTX posters Reply with quote

jazzmaster wrote:
a Korean gate character giving the ktx train to a white looking male wearing a hat sporting the german and french flags. The text seems to read that they don't want a foreign company owning the ktx.

Seems a bit strange. Korail is a government-owned corporation.

The trains were built by French multinational Alstrom, being almost identical to the TGV.

After that the Korean govt awarded further train construction projects to Hyundai, which basically copied the original rolling stock. Not all of the parts were covered by technology transfer agreements.
Jake_Kim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U.S. Congress blocked the takeover bid by CNOOC for Unocal in 2005.
Such a clear example of American xenophobia, wasn't it?
Ginormousaurus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake_Kim wrote:
U.S. Congress blocked the takeover bid by CNOOC for Unocal in 2005.
Such a clear example of American xenophobia, wasn't it?

After that deal failed, CNOOC came to Canada and bought up Nexen for something like $16b. That caused quite the uproar. Xenophobia was alive and well in the comments section of any Canadian news article covering the story.

For the most part, I was in favor of the deal. I foolishly tried talking about it with my grandpa. Xenophobia is alive and well in that old man. Laughing
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Xenophobic KTX posters Reply with quote

jazzmaster wrote:
Has anyone else seen the posters about the KTX privitization? From what I could make out it was a Korean gate character giving the ktx train to a white looking male wearing a hat sporting the german and french flags. The text seems to read that they don't want a foreign company owning the ktx.
Now, I'm no fan of privitization, but why do Koreans resort to fanning the flames of xenophobia in this kind of situation?

So you start with an assumption ("seems to read") and then treat it as fact?

Why do YOU resort to that?

As for the rest of your post...please. "Most Koreans" to use your phrase were not involved in any of the above protests.
atwood

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're being a bit too hard on the union and the KTX employees. They fear for their jobs and are just doing what they think will draw public attention to their plight.

Besides, from what I can gather, privatization hasn't worked out so well in the past and instead of improving service, etc. has had the opposite effect.
jazzmaster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far we've seen a couple of classic apologist replies.
1. It happened in America.
Focus on the point at hand. This has nothing to do with the USA.

2. There's something wrong with you/you're making assumptions.
An attempt to attack the OP and play down the original points being raised.

Sad and pathetic individuals. So I'll ask again....has anyone seen the posters about the ktx privitization?
jvalmer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atwood wrote:
Besides, from what I can gather, privatization hasn't worked out so well in the past and instead of improving service, etc. has had the opposite effect.

Like the electricity privatization in Alberta. They claimed prices would go down. But now Albertans pay like the 3rd highest prices in North America. What a farce that is. I hope Korean voters can convince their government to halt their privatization drive.

Anyways, provide links to these posters.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if people feel that an industry is vital to their national interests and that having it taken over and purchased by a foreign agency represents a threat to the well being of the state is that xenophobia? What if there is an actual legitimate basis to that fear? Now some things can be silly xenophobia driven by paranoia, but others can be legitimate concerns.

As an American, I can tell you there are several industries I would not want other countries taking over, regardless of country. Yes, including Korea. Now is Amtrak/Korail one of them? Maybe, maybe not. And it might depend on whether or not I'm an employee for that company or I'm an investor in that company.

But yes, concern over foreign takeover of industries is not necessarily xenophobia.
Popocatepetl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Well, if people feel that an industry is vital to their national interests and that having it taken over and purchased by a foreign agency represents a threat to the well being of the state is that xenophobia?

What if that foreign agency does a better job?

Korail has done nothing but waste vast amounts of Korean taxpayers money.

For example they've built large numbers of faulty trains and then had to scrap them before even putting them into service.

By all logic it would benefit Koreans to actually let French or German companies take over.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popocatepetl wrote:
By all logic it would benefit Koreans to actually let French or German companies take over.

And even if they do, they'll be still asking for government money at the end of the year.

Anyways, for the most part Korail's service is pretty good. On a bad day, the train is delayed maybe 10 minutes (I live down the route). But usually it's only a few minutes.
mayorhaggar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought they were giving toy trains to German people with big noses.

At least they are picking on someone other than Americans. Danke shoen!
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Xenophobic KTX posters Reply with quote

jazzmaster wrote:
I think it's because most Koreans have a deeply xenophobic streak. We saw it with the American beef, US army (Hi Psy), FTA, and other protests. Rather than focusing on highlighting how any private company could be a bad thing, they choose the xenophobic angle.
It's pathetic.

While I will sometimes call out Korean racism, in this case, not so much. A lot of people in North America don't like the idea of Chinese ownership of our companies or resources. Though, they are usually not private entities but arms of the state and government owned entities coming from China. That said, individual Chinese persons are seperated from the actions of Chinese government owned companies.

The only I will say about Korea with regards to the other issues like beef and FTA, did the Koreans seperate white people living here from the conflict they had with these issues? Seemed to fuel the fires of xenophobia at the time. But, the KTX poster, unless followed by mean behaviour on the street isn't something I'd make an issue of.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: