Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to cancel E-2 visa (in order to get new sponsorship)?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
legume85

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: How to cancel E-2 visa (in order to get new sponsorship)? Reply with quote

How do you cancel an E-2 in order to start the process of getting a new one? Without going into details, I can't transfer my old visa but have been offered a new job. New job wants to start visa application process (from scratch) but I'm not sure how to cancel the current visa first. Must I leave the country in order to cancel the existing visa, return on a tourist visa and then leave again? Or can I just leave the country once and tell immigration to cancel the visa (as well as turn in my ARC)? Or can I just call immigration and tell them that my job has ended and that my visa should be canceled? The job that sponsored my latest E-2 visa has recently ended. I'd rather not have to fly in and out of the country just to cancel the visa. Thanks.
Hokie21

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this on another board...

From what I understand you can cancel your visa a couple ways.

1. Leave the country - hand your ARC on the way out. However it takes a day or a few days for immigration to cancel your visa before you can come back in on a visitor's visa. Not exactly sure on the timing with this.

2. Your school has 14 days after your last day to cancel your visa (notify immigration). Immigration has informed us (me and my school) that they can fax a form into immigration to do this. Once they cancel your visa, you have 30 days to leave the country (you also need to go into immigration after your last day and change your ARC exp date - according to who I spoke to at immigration). If you have another job lined up - once your visa is cancelled, your new job can apply for a new visa issuance number. Get the new visa number and hop on over to Japan. Get new visa and come back on over.
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie21 wrote:
Found this on another board...

From what I understand you can cancel your visa a couple ways.

1. Leave the country - hand your ARC on the way out. However it takes a day or a few days for immigration to cancel your visa before you can come back in on a visitor's visa. Not exactly sure on the timing with this.

2. Your school has 14 days after your last day to cancel your visa (notify immigration). Immigration has informed us (me and my school) that they can fax a form into immigration to do this. Once they cancel your visa, you have 30 days to leave the country (you also need to go into immigration after your last day and change your ARC exp date - according to who I spoke to at immigration). If you have another job lined up - once your visa is cancelled, your new job can apply for a new visa issuance number. Get the new visa number and hop on over to Japan. Get new visa and come back on over.

You can cancel your own visa by going to any immigration office.

When your visa is cancelled (whether you do it or your employer does it) you will get 14 days to leave. Not 30. You only get the 30 if you go to immigration and ask for the extension. If you don't ask, you have 2 weeks to leave or potentially be fined for overstaying your visa. Extending up to the 30 day limit is very easy and they do it right there on the spot so it's worth taking the time to do it if you think you'll be around more than 2 weeks.

When you cancel your visa at the airport, it does not take a day or so to actually cancel your visa. It's cancelled right there on the spot. The immigration guy will put it into the computer while you're standing there. You can return later the same day. Some people DO return the same day.

You can also do the same by taking the ferry to Japan. It can be a much cheaper option depending on the ferry company you use. It takes longer though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: