Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

South Koreans are really proud of their culture and K-pop
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
World Traveler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: South Koreans are really proud of their culture and K-pop Reply with quote

Quote:
In the “mindset and values of Koreans 2013” survey by the Culture, Sports and Tourism Ministry, involving 2,537 people aged between 19 and 79, the respondents showed pride in cultural heritage (93.1%); the traditional costume hanbok and Korean food (92.7%); Confucian values, including loyalty and respect for the elderly (85.9%); and pop culture, including K-pop (81.5%).

The respect for pop culture has jumped by 27.9 percentage points, up from 53.6% in 2008.

http://www.thestar.com.my/Lifestyle/Features/2013/12/19/South-Koreans-are-really-proud-of-their-culture-and-Kpop.aspx/
Quote:
"The recent string of Korean cultural heritage (sites and traditions) being successfully added to Unesco heritage lists, and the stories of the worldwide popularity of K-pop have brought about this perception,” said Kim Dae-kyun, a ministry official.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the propaganda's working then. Time and money well spent.
fermentation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL at K-pop being a part of "culture"
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't like the local culture you should move to a culture you like...
World Traveler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edwardcatflap, stop being such an ethnocentric cultural imperialist. Give K-pop a shot. (God, you are so stubborn sometimes.) >.>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd_xq5gprmU
You can even learn Korean through K-pop when you watch the videos with English subtitles. Give it a go. Ride the Korean Wave (한류)! ^__^
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Give K-pop a shot

Pop music here or elsewhere for me has never really been a question of 'giving something a shot'. You get to hear it whether you like it or not. I mostly prefer British stuff but do listen to music by American, German and French artists. That link you sent me, like virtually all of K Pop, isn't really my type of stuff. My comment was referring to all the 'stories' about the Korean wave in the media here. It looks like they've been to good effect in the sense that the public seems to have swallowed the hype. I remember my wife being a bit disillusioned when we went to the UK for the first time and she found out neither my teenage nieces nor any of their friends had ever heard of K Pop. It's a bit unethical IMO to mislead people in this way
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it when World Traveler combines sarcasm with emoticons - no sarcasm!
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure everyone's heard of KPop now, I mean that whole Psy thing and all...

Not speaking on quality. Everyone in 1919 heard of the Spanish Flu, that doesn't mean it was a great cultural export.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm pretty sure everyone's heard of KPop now, I mean that whole Psy thing and all...

Not really. Yes people of a certain age in the West have all heard of Gagnam style, some of them might be able to recall the name of the guy who sang it - it was a year and a half ago after all - some might even be able to remember where he came from. But knowing there's a movement called K Pop and being able to name any other bands or singers from it? Probably about the same number of young people in the West today who would know anything about the 1919 Spanish flu outbreak. Ie very few.
Smithington

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:

Actually, it is part of culture, just not Korean culture. It actually boggles my mind how they can take a Western product (pop music) and market it as 'Korean'. What takes it to a new level of loonyness is the absurd national pride they place in it. It ain't even Korean. Very Happy
cdninkorea

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithington wrote:
fermentation wrote:

Actually, it is part of culture, just not Korean culture. It actually boggles my mind how they can take a Western product (pop music) and market it as 'Korean'. What takes it to a new level of loonyness is the absurd national pride they place in it. It ain't even Korean. Very Happy

It's distinct from Western pop, though, in the dancing styles, the lyrics, the way its marketed, etc. None of this is to say I like it, but it is still distinct in many relevant ways.
Hokie21

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdninkorea wrote:
Smithington wrote:
fermentation wrote:

Actually, it is part of culture, just not Korean culture. It actually boggles my mind how they can take a Western product (pop music) and market it as 'Korean'. What takes it to a new level of loonyness is the absurd national ride they place in it. It ain't even Korean. Very Happy

It's distinct from Western pop, though, in the dancing styles, the lyrics, the way its marketed, etc. None of this is to say I like it, but it is still distinct in many relevant ways.

I admit to being pretty ignorant regarding K-Pop but from what I've seen it is usually a group of young attractive singers who sing about things teenagers can relate to while dancing in sync? I could be completely wrong but how does this differ from bands like N'Sync, Backstreet Boys....Destiny's Child...and whatever other pop bands which were popular in the 90's?

Last edited by Hokie21 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for them, they managed to export cultural products and to do so with a reasonable level of success.

If that irks some of the people here, well, who cares lol

I personally am no fan of Kpop (or pop in general) but good on them for finding success (limited to pretty high (ex in asia)) outside of Korea's shores.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Good for them, they managed to export cultural products and to do so with a reasonable level of success.

If that irks some of the people here, well, who cares lol

I personally am no fan of Kpop (or pop in general) but good on them for finding success (limited to pretty high (ex in asia)) outside of Korea's shores.

Yes, good for them. I don't like K Pop either but I'm happy the companies that produce it are successful and I hope that they produce and export more of it. Even though I don't want to listen to any of it.

And good for those TV companies who make those programs about the Kardashians as well. I'm no fan, ho hum, but I'm pleased they've managed to
export their cultural product abroad so successfully (although truthfully I couldn't give a toss but I want to show I'm a better, more tolerant person than everyone else on this forum) Blah blah blah Rolling Eyes

Last edited by edwardcatflap on Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mix1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdninkorea wrote:
Smithington wrote:
fermentation wrote:

Ok, sure. It's distinct in how consistently bad it is.

It's a direct rip-off of elements from the worst of western pop sources. The dancing is also ripped off for the most part. The chicks are often hot, but that's as far as it goes.

It's such a direct rip-off that many times you can hear the various song parts from the western versions, but with only a note or two changed. Oh, here's a chorus from __________. A rap/vocal style from ___________, a beat from ____________, a sampled snippet from ___________, etc. So it's debate just how "theirs" it really is.

It's a copy culture, and that's borderline ok IF the resulting product is GOOD, but in this case it generally isn't. Most mainstream K-pop is stripped of any decent melody, while throwing in lots of the most annoying and abrasive elements a song could possibly have.

But if they want to like it, not much to do about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: