Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

$$$ teaching in other countries?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
misher



Joined: 14 Oct 2008

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Korea is different today than before but you can do well with the right quals. I know one guy in Korea who did 64 hours of a classes a week. A couple of years, he saved over 100K. Special case though.


I did that (35k USD in my best 6 months) and experienced massive burnout. I don’t think anyone would argue that there is no way you can make a very good living teaching in Korea. Most I know of F visas when combing their uni jobs, camps, privates and corporates do around 70-90 million won a year. That is damn good considering that deductions are quite low.

However, even they will admit that their yearly gross can fluctuate wildly. It also isn’t sustainable. Teaching 50-60 contact hours a week is one thing when you’re 32. When you’re 48 you’ll either go insane or will suffer health problems. That’s the age when your kids will be needing the most support as well (if you choose to marry and have a family). It’s not a good place to be in. I know a few that are and hate their lives. Meanwhile people back home that chose to make themselves competitive for decent middle class jobs make 90k, work 9-5 with benefits in stable (not entirely immune but stable) industries and await retirement at 60. You can say it’s all doom and gloom here too but I’d rather put my eggs in this basket than Korean EFL. If you want to rely on Korea for employment until you’re grey, I think you’re fricking nuts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
joeydonuts



Joined: 19 Nov 2012
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
It's sad, man. What is causing the drop in wages? An over saturation of the market? People increasingly teaching themselves leading to less reliance on classes? Skype teachers from the Philippines willing to work for peanuts? All of the above? Other reasons?


I'm curious if you think wages are dropping across the board? To me, it's a mixed bag. Some examples:

SMOE/EPIK pay the same as when I was hired in 2007 and since 2010, they have special brackets for people with doctorates/special skills -- on the other hand, some hagwons are a joke these days

A uni gig I was hired by in 2012 was offering 3.5 + housing and requiring 15/week. this term the deal went 2.8 + housing and 18/week. My current uni has kept wages the same and instituted a publishing bonus system.

---

I suppose my point is that the market is going through a correction than an outright downturn IMHO. With that said, I'm no economist
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
World Traveler



Joined: 29 May 2009

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joeydonuts wrote:
SMOE/EPIK pay the same as when I was hired in 2007

If it's the same as it was seven years ago, well, adjusted for inflation, it went down. The cost of living in Korea has gone up so much since 2007. (GEPIK actually has been paying less that before for a couple years now. SMOE and EPIK cut a bunch of vacation and added more extra work such as camps.) Korean salaries are going up. The cost of living in Korea is going up. Wages for Western EFL teachers are either stagnating or going down as this happens though.

joeydonuts wrote:
on the other hand, some hagwons are a joke these days

Even worse.

joeydonuts wrote:
A uni gig I was hired by in 2012 was offering 3.5 + housing and requiring 15/week. this term the deal went 2.8 + housing and 18/week.

Wow. Terrible. A sign of things to come.

joeydonuts wrote:
My current uni has kept wages the same

Meaning adjusted for inflation, they went down.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
joeydonuts



Joined: 19 Nov 2012
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
joeydonuts wrote:
SMOE/EPIK pay the same as when I was hired in 2007

If it's the same as it was seven years ago, well, adjusted for inflation, it went down. The cost of living in Korea has gone up so much since 2007. (GEPIK actually has been paying less that before for a couple years now. SMOE and EPIK cut a bunch of vacation and added more extra work such as camps.) Korean salaries are going up. The cost of living in Korea is going up. Wages for Western EFL teachers are either stagnating or going down as this happens though.

joeydonuts wrote:
on the other hand, some hagwons are a joke these days

Even worse.

joeydonuts wrote:
A uni gig I was hired by in 2012 was offering 3.5 + housing and requiring 15/week. this term the deal went 2.8 + housing and 18/week.

Wow. Terrible. A sign of things to come.

joeydonuts wrote:
My current uni has kept wages the same

Meaning adjusted for inflation, they went down.


Thanks for the reply --

I take your point about inflation/cost of living increase -- I have been at my uni since fall 2011 (with a 7 month break to start my doctorate). My uni did raise salaries in 2010 and I guess I indirectly benefited from that. There's talk of them raising the salaries in 2015 -- with the new publishing pay-out scheme, I'm somewhat happy.

Re: SMOE/EPIK -- As I said, I do see your point but Korean teachers make far less starting out. I'm not trying to counter what you're saying but it could be possible from the Korean POV that the NSET was just supposed to be 'hired gun' and paid as such -- no need for incremental raises -- sustained employment scheme, etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chaparrastique



Joined: 01 Jan 2014

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
, he really has to hustle to get paid with lessons all over the place and spread out over his day


If you can tolerate being on the subway for several hours a day you deserve a medal.

You can measure in grey hairs the toll it takes on these headless chickens making 5M a month.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
World Traveler



Joined: 29 May 2009

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slang word 지옥철 describes it well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International