Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can i work in Korea after graduation???????????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnlee625

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Can i work in Korea after graduation??????????? Reply with quote

I'm currently a freshmen, now becoming sophomore at a Korean university.
I'm a gyopo f4 and i'm curious what kind of jobs I can look for.

I'm quite fluent in Korean (TOPIK 5) and I'm not sure if I should be worried now. I heard I can't teach in Korea since I will graduate from Korean university......

Then what do you recommend? Should i go towards non teaching jobs?
Wouldn't it be too difficult if I try to work for companies because I'll be competing against real native Koreans?

Will it be extremely difficult for me to find one after my graduation here?
If so, what should i do? Should i not be worried yet?
Ginormousaurus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you, I'd be looking into jobs that are related to my university degree. You're going to spend all that time, money, and effort on learning something for 4+ years, why not try to profit off your knowledge? What are you studying?

Given your ability to speak Korean and the fact that you have an F4, you should really try to land an internship with a Korean company. This will greatly improve your chances of finding employment after graduation.
johnlee625

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: job Reply with quote

Im currently majoring in international studies. Im going to double major by studying business major as well.

Im not sure how you can find intern opportunities but i hope i can find one during sophomore year.

I dont know any descent job in korea except teaching but hopefully i can find one after graduation.

Isnt it hard though to go beyond teaching since im competing against koreans? Also how do i find intern opportunities?
Allthechildrenareinsane

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: job Reply with quote

johnlee625 wrote:
Im currently majoring in international studies. Im going to double major by studying business major as well.

Im not sure how you can find intern opportunities but i hope i can find one during sophomore year.

I dont know any descent job in korea except teaching but hopefully i can find one after graduation.

Isnt it hard though to go beyond teaching since im competing against koreans? Also how do i find intern opportunities?

Since you most likely won't qualify for a lot of the NET teaching jobs advertised, you should probably check w/ your family members in Korea and your Korean/gyopo friends and contacts about how to look for and apply for other kinds of jobs in Korea. Anecdotally, it seems like a lot of the better jobs for new grads from Korean unis are secured through networking and preexisting relationships w/ potential employers.

Also, does your university have something like a career services office for students? If it does, it might be worth a visit since those offices (at least those in Western universities) have info on internships, job opportunities specific to your major, as well as advice on applying for jobs.
Dude Love

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

With your quals, a gyopo visa and if you improve your spoken K even more you should be able to get a good job in your field. ANd don't bother with teaching.
johnlee625

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Jobs Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

Everyone tells me to forget about teaching but why does everyone say that?
I want to go to non-teaching field after graduation as an F4 but I don't know what type of career I should be looking for.

In Korean university, i am studying in international studies.
I heard that Korean companies are scary and that they only drink alcohol everyday, working overtime in a small office.

I don't know what type of field i should go into and what i should aim for in Korea. I do, however, want to work in Korea and live in Korea. And my Korean level is TOPIK 5.

Thanks.
Dude Love

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

As a gyopo you're unlikely to get a teaching job you'll enjoy unless you're a very highly qualified lang. instructor. If you don't like Korean office culture try to work for a foreign company.
Allthechildrenareinsane

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Jobs Reply with quote

johnlee625 wrote:
Thanks for your reply.

Everyone tells me to forget about teaching but why does everyone say that?
I want to go to non-teaching field after graduation as an F4 but I don't know what type of career I should be looking for.

In Korean university, i am studying in international studies.
I heard that Korean companies are scary and that they only drink alcohol everyday, working overtime in a small office.

I don't know what type of field i should go into and what i should aim for in Korea. I do, however, want to work in Korea and live in Korea. And my Korean level is TOPIK 5.

Thanks.

B/c, as an F4 holder w/ a degree from a Korean (as opposed to a Western Anglophone) university, hagwon and public school employers most likely won't consider you for the majority of teaching jobs out there. If you had gone to a top tier American uni and had great SAT scores, then things might be different -- there are lots of jobs for F4 holders in teaching test prep.

If you're committed to living and working in Korea and have the language skills, then you (as I suggested earlier) really ought to be talking to other Koreans about what opportunities are out there and trying to network.
johnlee625

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:10 am    Post subject: Job Reply with quote

What I don't understand is the meaning of networking. Many Koreans tell me that I should network and that will help tremendously in getting jobs in Korea (since I'm gonna live in Korea as an F4)

I don't really understand what they mean by that. Does it mean make more friends? And for networking to be effective, don't you need close people who become owners or CEOs or vice president of a certain company?

And lastly, currently i think I'm going to get TOPIK 5 or TOPIK 6 if possible this month. I'm not sure if this would help me since I am a gyopo.

Thank you so much for your support. I appreciate it Smile
andrewchon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, networking on simple level is having many contacts. e.g.

1. if shop owners around your home know you and like you and their children attend your school, then they'll speak up for you when you stuff up.

2. Working at public schools, be friends with middle-aged teachers. Some are on vice-principal path and their support will be useful in getting your next contract.

3. It's useful to know who your students' parents are. I'm not saying give favouritism to spoilt childrens of the rich, powerful, men of god, have more connections than you, on the school board, gangsters, tiger-ajumma,.... but think twice before crossing their path and make amends if you do.

There are plenty more but that'll do for starters. Next thing to do is to prepare what you'll do to make that happen: manners, posture, choice of words, choice of friends, politics, appearance, money...

e.g. it's customary to give some money if you are invited to a wedding, in a nice white envelope. If there there 10 invites in a month then there will a big hole burnt in your bank balance. Turn down some? Think carefully.

It's easier to offend than to gain favour in this game. If the wedding party deems that your envelope was rather 'thin' given your standing in the community that you're angling for, well then that money was wasted.

So, how do you learn what to do etc? Watch Korean dramas. That's the cheap way. Best way is to be born into a stuffy family but that's already gone, now that you've lowered your class ranking by moving overseas. Next best thing is to get yourself a mentor. (키워주세요) Good luck. Cool
Ginormousaurus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Job Reply with quote

johnlee625 wrote:

And lastly, currently i think I'm going to get TOPIK 5 or TOPIK 6 if possible this month. I'm not sure if this would help me since I am a gyopo.

Why wouldn't it help and what does being a gyopo have to do with it? If you're planning on living and working in Korea for a long time, you should be doing everything you can to be as fluent as possible. This is extremely important for networking. If you can't speak with people, you can't really get close to them.
Allthechildrenareinsane

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Job Reply with quote

johnlee625 wrote:
What I don't understand is the meaning of networking. Many Koreans tell me that I should network and that will help tremendously in getting jobs in Korea (since I'm gonna live in Korea as an F4)

I don't really understand what they mean by that.
Does it mean make more friends? And for networking to be effective, don't you need close people who become owners or CEOs or vice president of a certain company?

Thank you so much for your support. I appreciate it Smile

Some background on the basics of networking:
http://www.careercast.com/career-news/networking-after-college
http://guides.wsj.com/careers/how-to-identify-job-opportunities/how-to-network-your-way-to-a-job/

And something specific to networking in Korea:
http://www.businessnetworkkorea.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: