Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding a job in Seoul - As a Male UK citizen
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ricardo25

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Finding a job in Seoul - As a Male UK citizen Reply with quote

Hello,

Not sure if this has been posted and answered previously...

I am currently searching for a teaching position in Seoul, South Korea and I'm finding that a lot of recruiters are saying they prefer North American/Female teachers in Seoul.

I have a couple of teaching English Certificates such as the TKT (this is recommended to be completed before starting a CELTA course, it's accredited by Cambridge University) I also have an advanced TEFL Certificate - Both certifications amount to around 140 hours.

I also work as an ICT trainer in the UK teaching adults basic ICT skills and also work as a cover supervisor in secondary schools. I have been doing this for about 6 months.

My question is....

Is there anything I can do to make myself more suited to teaching positions in Seoul??

I understand Seoul is a competitive location however with my certificates and experience I presumed I would at least be in the running for any jobs that should arise.

Any advice anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

- Richard
Speck7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah they don't like snooty accents, with horrible, offensive, yet claim to be sarcastic, humor.
Ricardo25

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well I guess I'll have to keep trying then.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ricardo

The problem is there aren't many TEFL jobs in Korea which really value qualifications/experience. The majority - public schools and hagwans tend to look at superficial factors such as age/looks/accent etc and the jobs that do want qualifications require more than you have at the moment. Universities are demanding MAs in relevant subjects these days, international schools would want a PGCE and The British Council asks for a CELTA plus 2 years TEFL experience. The advice people will give you to get those lower level jobs is to have a decent photo, say you love Korean culture, adopt an American accent at interviews etc...and keep plugging away.
faeriehazel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know guys with UK passports who are currently teaching in Seoul. Unfortunately the TEFL and CELTA aren't really valued by most Korean employers. It really depends on what kind of job you're looking for. If you want a university job, you'll need an MA + 2 years experience teaching (at a university preferably, although some places accept experience at public schools) or a BA + 4 years. If you want a place at a decent hakwon, you either need a degree from a prestigious university or you have to start somewhere like Chungdahm or Avalon and work your way up from there. If you want to teach adults for decent pay, you need an F visa (or you can work at somewhere like Pagoda, but the pay will be a lot lower).
modernseoul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the previous comments that depending on what your exceptions are will influence how simple (or not) your search will be.
If you're looking for just anything anywhere in Seoul, then it won't be to difficult. However if you're looking for a specific role or location it maybe pretty tricky.
Also some areas of Seoul on paper look quite central but in reality are more remote than parts of Incheon, Anyang, Ilsan or Seongnam.
teacherbunny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am from the UK also..
When I first applied to teach korea, I was told the are very little jobs in korea and the ones that are looking for teachers are looking for the American or Canadian accent..so my first year here I taught in paju..
The following years I have always been applying while in the country..and have always been offered the job at the interview..

Recruiters like to tell prospective teachers that there are no jobs in seoul especially for the non American accents. As they want to fill the positions further away. If you keep trying then you will surely find something.
But if you want to get over here sooner..just accept a satellite city job..
I recommend bucheon and guri those two are almost seoul anyway..
Ilsan is further but it is nice..
Ricardo25

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Thanks for the information Reply with quote

Great, thanks for all the information.

I'll be sure to keep this in mind when searching in the future.

I have had a few recruiters try and say Seoul is too competitive and suggest a position which is almost the other side of the country.

Cheers for the posts I'm sure if I keep at it I'll find something in Seoul!!
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of visa have you got? A friend's private high school (not a Christian school) is looking for 2 male teachers, and I'll know more details in a day or so. I know that they'd prefer F visas.
Jodami

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tell them that the UK is in the US. The offers should soon come flooding in. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Ricardo25

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ NYC_Gal - I'm currently in the process of getting my documents notarised and apostilled. Should have them ready in the next week or so though.

I am interested in the position you mentioned though, if you find anymore information about it could you possibly post a link on the forum please?

@ Jodami - Good idea, here's hoping they'll buy it Wink
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent.
creeper1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: BS Reply with quote

There are thousand of British EFL teachers in Seoul coming and going all the time.

Don't listen to recruiters BS about jobs in Seoul being tough to get.

They are just trying to get fill their ars-end-of-nowhere dong positions first hoping you will take them

When they suggest a province refuse and say "I want Seoul". When they suggest Incheon refuse and say "I want Seoul"

Eventually you'll get what you want.

Remember recruiters need you much more than you need them and there are tons of jobs there (despite the BS people spew on here)
World Traveler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a Brit trying to find work in Seoul without success. He graduated from one of the top universities in the world. He is applying everywhere but can't get in anywhere. (He is male and is older than early 20s, so that is working against him.)
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding a job in Seoul - As a Male UK citizen Reply with quote

Ricardo25 wrote:

Is there anything I can do to make myself more suited to teaching positions in Seoul??

Short of a sex change and peroxide, no.

My advice is give up on Seoul and try the satellite cities. Bundang etc. Only an hour away by subway. But even they are filled with the more sought-after americans, and you might have to lower your expectations to a rural location.

Korea does not favour Britons. Its really hard to find work and when you do, you can't get your pension paid out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: