Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A third year with the same academy? What to ask for?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaz47

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: A third year with the same academy? What to ask for? Reply with quote

I'm nearing the time when I've got to decide to stay with the same place or move on... likely leave Korea. I currently make 2.3 for 30 hours of splits. They let me take a month of unpaid holiday to visit family. I think it's a pretty standard adult hagwon gig. So far no drama or micro-management but my neighbors suck and that complicates the split-shift a lot. I also found out that the other branch of this academy only works 9am to 9pm while I start at 6:50am and finish at 9pm.

If I stay another year it'll be my ninth in country and I actually made more in my second year with all kinds of nonsense from managers and dodgy schools in between. I certainly can't say that Korea hasn't been interesting.

Ideally I'd like a better schedule, one that would allow me to move away from this university ghetto that I currently live in and still get enough sleep despite the commute. More money wouldn't hurt either although I felt pretty vindicated when I negotiated the 2.3 back when, since then though they haven't given me any overtime (good and bad that).

I've got loads of experience here, adults, TOEFL, university, etc. I've also improved the enrollment of the academy significantly over the previous teacher. I'm wondering how much I can ask for if I stay on with this place.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd ask for more money or a better schedule. Both is kind of pushing it.

Well, I mean you can ask for as much as you'd like, but it's a better idea to ask for one, as it's more likely you'll get it.

At my former hagwon, my coworker asked for more money, a better schedule, and a reduced workload. She wasn't renewed. The boss complained to me that she had been asking for too much, and I agreed. Had she focused on the most important thing, she'd have gotten it. The boss was (and is) awesome, and was very accommodating, so it was a shame for the coworker.
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're at an adult hogwon, then unless it's a big places with a few foreign teachers, you'll likely get stuck with a split shift. It's the nature of the business. I would probably focus on the money or a few less hours. You could probably ask for 2.4 million without much problem. If you've been here for 3 year (and at the same school none-the-less) you'll likely be able to find a slightly higher paying job. BUT.... as you probably know, the majority of jobs are for teaching kids. If you really prefer to teach adults then you might not find many jobs.

You might also ask for a better apartment. It's nothing extra in your pocket but it might make life more pleasant.

You could ask for a few more paid holidays per year. (Or optional unpaid holidays.)

The other thing that you could ask about is permission to take some part time work on the side. If your school isn't teaching kids, then your boss might not even care if you work at another place between shifts because most jobs are at kiddy hagwons which aren't really rivals for him. Or you could come to an agreement that you won't work at any places that are within a certain distance of your current school. The benefit with this is that it doesn't cost your boss anything.

Or ask about the possibility of teaching privates at your school during your off hours or on weekends (in which case you'd give a percentage of income to the owner). This is also good for your boss because, again, it costs him nothing (he actually makes a bit of cash from it) AND it gets him a bit of publicity. It's good for you because privates pay a lot better than overtime and having a school to hold them in is a lot better than you going to the student's place. Even giving your boss 20% of your fee, it will still pay you better than overtime. Similarly, you might hold some in-company classes where you go to a company and hold class there. Those pay very nicely. As long as it's done under the name of your current employer, it's legal.

I would suggest starting with asking for a pay raise. If he seems hesitant, then ask him about permission to do some part time work or to hold privates at the school. If he DOES agree to the pay raise, then mention the privates as an idea. Stress that you can both benefit from it.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troglodyte has the right idea. When I got my friend a job with my former boss, I negotiated his contract and got his hours cut down a bit (and they were sweet to begin with) and written permission for him to work on the side. The boss was looking to pay less than she was paying me, so it was win win.
Jodami

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP:

Don't kid yourself. You're a piece of white meat with two eyes and a pulse. Your demands will be laughed out of the joint.

Please, please, report back when this happens, and when your inevitable groveling and begging to stay occurs. My bet is you'll eventually sign a new contract after accepting a pay cut.
fustiancorduroy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they like you and you've done as good a job as you claim, then I don't see why your bosses would have any issue giving you a 100 or 200k a month pay raise. Maybe more. I also can't imagine that moving to another location would be much of an issue, either.

OP, you have to be willing to be assertive and get what you deserve. Worst case scenario, they don't want to give you anything extra and you decide to leave Korea sooner rather than later.
BackRow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9 yeas, making 2.3...

Time to bail
Nester Noodlemon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BackRow wrote:
9 yeas, making 2.3...

Time to bail

9 years, making 2.3, doing split-shifts, teaching 30 hrs per week, allows a non-paid holiday, bad neighbors… What more could you ask for in a job?

Rolling Eyes
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jodami wrote:
You're a piece of white meat with two eyes and a pulse. Your demands will be laughed out of the joint.

Especially likely now as the employer can easily trade you in for a blonde American newbie who will accept less.

There's a reason people are renewing at the same job year after year. Jobs are scarce.

The OP is a male over 30 I believe. If you're going to bail, wait until you've got something new lined up first..
chaz47

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the dose of skepticism, but this place had a backpacker sandal wearer before me and they were losing students left and right. I brought professionalism and organization that they were definitely lacking. If I weren't the sole foreigner I would be the 'head teacher' of the waygookin. Not to toot my horn overtly, but the sales staff compliment me because my classes continue to bring them commissions.

Anyway, we'll see what happens. If I need to get out of the ROK I guess it's just gonna happen regardless. I could certainly use an extended rest after 2 years of split-shifts with noisy university students as neighbors.
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaz47 wrote:
Not to toot my horn overtly, but the sales staff compliment me because my classes continue to bring them commissions.

You're what happens when someone likes their job and stays in it for a few years. It is a shame Korea does not usually value or appreciate people like you. Most employers would happily trade in an experienced teacher for a younger clueless one.
chaz47

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
chaz47 wrote:
Not to toot my horn overtly, but the sales staff compliment me because my classes continue to bring them commissions.

You're what happens when someone likes their job and stays in it for a few years. It is a shame Korea does not usually value or appreciate people like you. Most employers would happily trade in an experienced teacher for a younger clueless one.

Yeah, that's my fear and since getting the F-5 as a single guy is impossible (unless I make 90k a year... wtf), this would likely be my last rodeo if they go that route. I don't want to endure the process of getting a new manager and walking on egg-shells while I wait for the their true face to emerge. It's probably just time to change countries. Korea is getting too predictable.
Speck7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jodami wrote:
OP:

Don't kid yourself. You're a piece of white meat with two eyes and a pulse. Your demands will be laughed out of the joint.

Please, please, report back when this happens, and when your inevitable groveling and begging to stay occurs. My bet is you'll eventually sign a new contract after accepting a pay cut.

LOL so true, it's so funny when foreigners start to actually think they are important when in fact they are nothing in this industry.

We are hired farmhands and can and WILL be let go if and when the management feels...such as a whiny foreigner asking for more money

OP you are a dime a dozen, nothing special, cheap worker.
That's what you signed up for and that's what you will be and remain while in this country.
Speck7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BackRow wrote:
9 yeas, making 2.3...

Time to bail

LOL! Peter Pan never had to grow up and neither does the OP.
matthews_world

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have 5 years of documented experience plus reference letters? You might qualify for the F-299 (non points). You could find multiple jobs this way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: