Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do Korean people experience racism in Korea?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Do Korean people experience racism in Korea? Reply with quote

Just wondering.
cabeza

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't racism, but a Korean girl I know had huge problems with her boyfriend's parents. They didn't take kindly to the fact that she had spent two years in New Zealand and one year in Australia on working holidays.

She said that once a Korean spends a certain amount of time outside Korea, some Koreans will look down on them. Especially if they are females.

They have been tainted.
optik404

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Koreans from China are looked down on. I know some Korean Russians and they get treated bad sometimes.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as racism, walk into a Taco Bell/Burger King/McD's place in Itaewon or Hongdae at 3AM and watch how the Korean staff behind the counter gets treated by a few of the foreign customers and some of the things that are said.

And there are the "I don't want to live/be/hang around them" comments that people throw out in regards to Koreans that certainly have a tinge of racism.

Foreigners who refer to a Korean man with a white woman as "backwards".

C-blocking of Korean dudes to foreign women.

Foreigners banding together in a criminal situation, regardless of the law or the truth, out of friendship and loyalty against a Korean. Although that's pretty grey as part of it is general loyalty to a friend, rather than a nationality for some of them.
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only white people are racist. Did you not learn anything in school?
Paddycakes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koreans experience racism in Korea on Dave's and any number of the expat blogs, such that the ones that refer to Koreans a "Klowns".

I've never heard of the stigma against K women who go overseas, but given that many K girls have been known to work as prostitutes in New Zealand, etc., I could maybe see it happening.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddycakes wrote:
Koreans experience racism in Korea on Dave's and any number of the expat blogs, such that the ones that refer to Koreans a "Klowns".

Westerner makes the news for diddling kids in thailand/Cambodia - let's wait to see if he's convicted.

Korean makes the news for diddling kids in thailand/Cambodia - typical nasty ajjoshi, etc…

Agreed, there's often a double standard online (as it often is on Korean sites).
Allthechildrenareinsane

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

optik404 wrote:
I think the Koreans from China are looked down on. I know some Korean Russians and they get treated bad sometimes.

Ethnic Koreans born and raised outside of South Korea -- those from North Korea, China, Japan, Russia, Uzbekistan, etc., but excluding Western gyopos (Korean Americans, Korean Canadians, Korean Australians, etc.) -- often face lots of institutional and individual discrimination by South Koreans, particularly those from China (조선족) and North Korea, at least from what I understand.

I remember reading one study a little while ago that said it's often significantly harder for non-Western ethnic Koreans to get an F-4 visa or to immigrate to South Korea than it is for their Western counterparts.
cdninkorea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father in law, from the Jeollanamdo area, experienced discrimination when he moved to Seoul in the 70's. I have a student from the same area who experiences discrimination even today because of the way he speaks.

That's not racism, but still.
Paddycakes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My father in law, from the Jeollanamdo area, experienced discrimination when he moved to Seoul in the 70's

Jellonamdo is full of backwater country hicks... I'd discriminate against them too.
Jodami

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
As far as racism, walk into a Taco Bell/Burger King/McD's place in Itaewon or Hongdae at 3AM and watch how the Korean staff behind the counter, treat the foreign customers and some of the things that are said.

And there are the "I don't want to serve the foreigners", they should puck off to their own countries, comments that Koreans throw out in regards to white men, that certainly have a tinge of racism.

Korean "men" crying, when seeing a Korean woman with a white man.

C-blocking of white dudes to Korean women.

Koreans banding together in a criminal situation, regardless of the law or the truth, out of friendship and loyalty against a white man. Although that's pretty grey as part of it is general loyalty to a friend, rather than a nationality for some of them.

SR - I fixed your little fantasy island post. Please say thanks. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Ginormousaurus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jodami wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
As far as racism, walk into a Taco Bell/Burger King/McD's place in Itaewon or Hongdae at 3AM and watch how the Korean staff behind the counter, treat the foreign customers and some of the things that are said.

And there are the "I don't want to serve the foreigners", they should puck off to their own countries, comments that Koreans throw out in regards to white men, that certainly have a tinge of racism.

Koreans banding together in a criminal situation, regardless of the law or the truth, out of friendship and loyalty against a white man. Although that's pretty grey as part of it is general loyalty to a friend, rather than a nationality for some of them.

SR - I fixed your little fantasy island post. Please say thanks. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Jodami, did you even read the title of the thread?
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ginormousaurus wrote:

Jodami, did you even read the title of the thread?

I posted this thread as a joke, but there have been some interesting points made.
Ginormousaurus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure it may be a joke, but Jodami's response is all too typical.

The thread asks if Koreans face racism in Korea. I guess it's perfectly reasonable to ignore the question and talk about Koreans being racist to foreigners. Right?
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jodami wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

I was expecting more than a simple word swap. You're slipping.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: