Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rooftop Gardening - Any Advice??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mosesmoses

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Rooftop Gardening - Any Advice?? Reply with quote

I just moved into a new apartment in Seoul, and for the first time, I have a full rooftop all to myself. The previous tenant left behind all of her planting pots. I really want to grow herbs and veggies but have no idea about any rooftop gardening "best practices."

Any advice on where to buy materials, when to plant, certain plants that grow exceptionally well with this kind of gardening, or any other pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Harpeau

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a rooftop garden and I love it!! The Yangjae Flower Market is a good place to get seeds and stuff. Also Jongno-5-ga. Check out youtube video for gardening tips. Get some stuff started now in your apt. and then later on transfer it to the roof. PM me if you want more information.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
alongway

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be wary of the heavy rain season.. you may end up drowning plants or having them heavily damaged by the wind.
HapKi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a month or so all gardening markets will start selling all sorts of seedlings. I recommend chili peppers. Put a seedling per pot, tie it off with a stake, and watch it grow. You'll have hot peppers all summer and autumn long. It's really low maintenance. Things like tomatoes take much more work.
le-paul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

id recommend growing your plants indoors for a wee while before taking them outside. you can get gardening stuff in places like daiso and homeplus. id also be careful about the property. i know a few people that have grown stuff and someone has then thought it would be a good idea to plant in the same place. they came along and ripped the stuff up and complained they were using their space. Koreans sometimes have a good idea as an after thought of someone else's efforts.
anyway, things ive had a lot of success with are, tomatoes, potatoes, sunflowers, peppers, chillis, leeks, onions, cucumbers, salad and cabbages. You just have to make sure you have time to water them everyday in the summer (when its not torrentially pouring down!).
jdog2050

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, be realllyyyy careful of pests. For certain things like lettuces they go absolutely nuts.
Harpeau

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of plants for sale at the Yangjae Flower Market. Was there on Sat. and it was really hopping! Planted more cherry tomatoes! It's warming up!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Harpeau

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are beginning to bud!
julian_w

Location: Somewhere beyond Middle Peak Hotel, north of Middle Earth, and well away from the Middle of the Road

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This piece seems to recommend the low maintenance approach, which would fit in nicely with a rooftop garden where you want to maximize growth for a minimum effort. Well, I would, anyway: http://www.edf.org/blog/2013/04/05/no-till-gardening-saves-you-time-and-carbon?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social-media&utm_campaign=envdefensefund&s_src=facebook
Ruthdes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone seen coriander/cilantro? Seeds or seedlings are fine. I'd love to grow some but didn't have any luck finding any on gmarket.
HapKi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.czmart.co.kr/goods/read.vs?pid=740&stype=&sval=&orderby=&order=&stock=&dsiplay=&ctid1=3&ctid2=15&ctid3=46
Ruthdes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HapKi wrote:
http://www.czmart.co.kr/goods/read.vs?pid=740&stype=&sval=&orderby=&order=&stock=&dsiplay=&ctid1=3&ctid2=15&ctid3=46

Thank you!!
Harpeau

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grab some tomatoes, take out some seeds and plant them. With love, water, sunlight & quality soil- after a time, something should begin to grow.
Harpeau

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am hoping to do lots of gardening this coming spring. Getting excited about it. Who's with me?!! Very Happy
HapKi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you! Always exciting choosing what to plant and grow. Just need for the snow to melt so I can see what I have to work with (same wait every year).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: