Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"no insurance"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanseurVertical

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: "no insurance" Reply with quote

https://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/l7t3/bstormscancerfund

For my first year I taught at a public middle school, and everything was pretty solid. I began my second year of teaching in Korea at a hagwon in a convenient location and quit after 3 months (they were deducting my pension, tax, and health insurance fees without paying the government)

Last week, in the same facebook group I came upon a pretty obviously fraudulent 'I'm stuck in Korea, so donate money' page. Now, this. I commented asking the question about Korean law regarding health insurance for E2 visa holders. Then the original post was very quickly deleted.

So what's the scam? The "family" or the hagwon?
EZE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very common for hagwon employees to not have health insurance. I'm at my third hagwon and this is how it has gone for me:

1st hagwon: I got health insurance after working there for a few months after a co-worker from the USA raised heck about the fact we didn't have it.

2nd hagwon: I never had health insurance.

3rd hagwon: During the job interview, I said I really wanted national health insurance since it was so important to have and is the law. My boss said I could have it, but she would have to pay me 2.2 instead of 2.3, and I agreed to that. About a half a year into my contract, I went to the doctor and was told I didn't have health insurance. I've had health insurance (but not pension) ever since.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: