Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Korean Social Integration Course'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
World Traveler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to repeat the whole thing (50 hours in your case) and then take another crack at the test. I got a perfect attendance award in level three, but was told if I didn't pass the final test I'd have to repeat the whole one hundred hours. I passed the test thank God, but it was NOT easy. The tests are timed which requires super fast reading. Don't feel bad man. All you have to do it repeat fifty hours (plus pass the test). One hundred hours is killer. Fifty hours: not so bad. Which part of the 종합시험 did you do bad on: the written or the interview? They are both hard, so I feel you on that one.
PigeonFart

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a slow reader so i was under pressure trying to read not only the questions but all 4 possible answers. I'd say i'd need a good 2 hours to pass it, 55 minutes for the written test wasn't enough. Yes, 50 hours to do over again isn't so bad.
t-hype

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Registration for 2014 Reply with quote

Hey, do any of you guys know what the registration period is for the first 2014 term and/or when that term starts?

I don't really know how to register. Can I just go to one of the Global Centers?
coralreefer_1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I was told in the end of the last session, the next round of classes wont start until March 2014. The teacher explained this had something to do with the government fiscal budget and such.

My level 4 class ended in Septmeber, but we wont take the final exam until this weekend. And then, everyone has to wait until March for the next level (or to repeat level) begins.

As far as registering, yeah I would suggest checking with te local global center, but dont rely on them. Go to the site, and if needed get a Korean to help navigate it and register/join
Daniel1981

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, I mentioned I would update the thread with my experience.

I applied for the F-Series Points Visa on December 4th.. It was approved on December 9th, and they sent my updated ARC card to the local immigration office by December 23rd. It expires on December 4th, 2016. So, 3 years.. I could have had my ARC sent to my home address, but I thought it safer to just send it to the immigration office.

The Visa costed me W50,000 (using the stamps at the immigration office) *plus* W20,000 for the updated ARC card, paid to the lady processing my application in cash.

This visa is not applied for many times, so it is entirely possible that the person processing your application at the immigration office does not know all the details. My recommendation is to come in VERY prepared. I had all of my required documents in a plastic file, along with the point sheet printed, and a circle around the points I thought I was eligible for, and what I thought my total was at the bottom. Underneath this points sheet were all the supporting documents.

1) University degree - I brought a) original degree b) apostilled copy and c) regular photocopy of the apostilled copy. She took c), the regular photocopy of the apostilled copy.

2) Income and tax statements - I provided two income statements from my school. a) all of 2012 and b) the most recent 12 months.. She took them both... I also provided my 2013 tax statement from the tax office at which I filed my taxes. The tax office can provided this document to you, I think it was free. I also provided the detailed income tax return that my accountant used when submitting my taxes. Many people won't have this, and it is probably not needed, but I wanted to show why my taxable income was not the same as my reported income from the school. Basically, a breakdown of my tax deductions that the accountant used.

3) I had an original Criminal Background Check, an apostilled copy, and a photocopy of the apostilled copy.. She took the photocopy of the apostilled copy. Note - that I had not been out of country at all since arriving in 2010.

4) For Korean Language and KIIP points, I did not yet have my official certificate but a) There is an eletronic version of the graduation certificate on the socinet site, I provided a printout of that.. I also provided a printout of the test score page that is on the socinet site. I also provided a printout the main 'My Page' that showed Level 4 complete and Level 5 complete.

5) I also provided the regular Hakwon papers I use when extending my E2 Visa (business license and MOE registration I believe is what they are).

6) I also provided an original, and a photocopy of my Hakwon work contract. She only took the photocopy.

Of course I provided my ARC and Passport. She photocopied my passport and kept my ARC. I also provided 2 passport-sized photos. Nothing special about these, no signatures on the photos, just 2 photos I got done at Homeplus.

One thing I did *NOT* have prepared was a proof of residency. Fortunately, she gave me a fax number, and I went home and faxed her my officetel rental agreement (in my name) right away. This is now being required for other visa extensions, perhaps as a way to make sure foreigners are keeping immigration up to date on change of address.. Fortunately, I had updated this at my local Gu office when I moved so it was all good.

Once I handed over all of these files, the lady brought up some information on her PC, and printed her own points checklist. She went through the points categories, and checked the supporting documentation I had for each category and verified how many points I should receive for each. Then she totaled the points up, it matched what I thought I had (in my case 83) and that was that. A few people nearby were surprised as I was apparently the first person they saw that had the proper amount of points for the visa (in Busan), so it was kind of a jovial atmosphere for all of us.

You'll see in the list above that I brought a LOT of documents. I brought every variation of original+apostilled+photocopy I could think of. I printed everything I could from the socinet My Page site... Etc... I think that this let the lady know that I had done my research and preparation, and that she could have a little more confidence that the application should be successful. My recommendation is to go there fully prepared, and organized (have everything in a nice file) and be confident and polite.

Any questions, please ask~~ I'm also anxious to learn more about people who renew the Visa (what documents are required, and if they recalculate the points all over again, and so we might lose Age points... ). I don't know about this yet..
IlIlNine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick note : After having been on the points F2 for 3 years, I have successfully transitioned to the F5. Hang in there guys!
Daniel1981

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IlIlNine wrote:
Just a quick note : After having been on the points F2 for 3 years, I have successfully transitioned to the F5. Hang in there guys!

If you don't mind me asking, what were the yearly income and bank savings/net worth requirements when you transitioned?

Thanks.
IlIlNine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel1981 wrote:
IlIlNine wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, what were the yearly income and bank savings/net worth requirements when you transitioned?

Thanks.

It may be a sticking point for some. The required 30 million in assets isn't too bad, especially if you have your own place with a deposit - but the income requirement is harder: 3xkorea GDP. Immi calculated that to be a tax-form provable just-shy-of 62 million won gross per year.
alongway

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IlIlNine wrote:
Daniel1981 wrote:
IlIlNine wrote:

Thanks.

It may be a sticking point for some. The required 30 million in assets isn't too bad, especially if you have your own place with a deposit - but the income requirement is harder: 3xkorea GDP. Immi calculated that to be a tax-form provable just-shy-of 62 million won gross per year.

So what happens after the 3 years if you don't qualify for the F5?
Can you simply renew the F2 points for another 3 years?
IlIlNine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
IlIlNine wrote:
Daniel1981 wrote:
IlIlNine wrote:

Thanks.

Yes, you can! I actually had to do it because I didn't have enough time remaining on the F2 to get a Chinese visa. The process is simple - just the form and the money, if I remember correctly.
Daniel1981

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IlIlNine wrote:
alongway wrote:
IlIlNine wrote:
Daniel1981 wrote:
IlIlNine wrote:

Thanks.

Yes, you can! I actually had to do it because I didn't have enough time remaining on the F2 to get a Chinese visa. The process is simple - just the form and the money, if I remember correctly.

Ah great, so then it sounds like when renewing your F2, they did not recalculate the points again?

My worry is that if for some reason my income changes, or my age changes, I might lose points and not qualify.. Or, if the point system itself slightly changes..

It sounds like there is no repeat point evaluation on extending the F2 points visa?
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was browsing through this to quietly cry about not having enough points to qualify for the F2-7. Then I realized while searching for more information that KIIP offers Sunday classes, and is also free.

Now I am considering signing up for KIIP anyway. Free language education woo!

I do have a couple of questions, however.

1) I should go to the immigration office in order to begin the registration process, correct?

2) At what point does the social integration course become available within the language component? At what point is it advisable to do the social integration course (I am assuming it is conducted in Korean)?

3) Is the age category based on the Western or East Asian system?

(edit: Upon further reading, I realized the answer to the second question. It makes the third question kind of irrelevant but I am curious nonetheless.)

Last edited by Zyzyfer on Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
waseige1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: 25th Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
Was browsing through this to quietly cry about not having enough points to qualify for the F2-7. Then I realized while searching for more information that KIIP offers Sunday classes, and is also free.

Now I am considering signing up for KIIP anyway. Free language education woo!

I do have a couple of questions, however.

1) I should go to the immigration office in order to begin the registration process, correct?

2) At what point does the social integration course become available within the language component? At what point is it advisable to do the social integration course (I am assuming it is conducted in Korean)?

3) Is the age category based on the Western or East Asian system?

You sign up at www.socinet.go.kr. The site is "mostly" all Korean. The test and classes are free. You must test first (unless you enter directly into the level 0 classes). The test determines which level you start at.

The next test is 2/25. The test is not offered often.
spaceman82

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regard to #3, they use the international system for determining age.

You can move onto the Social Integration course itself after completing level 4 of the language classes, or after demonstrating that your Korean is good enough for the course through the placement test.

I'm curious how people found the instruction for the Korean classes. I've heard from friends that their classes were unhelpful and entirely in lecture format, and I'm sorry to say I had a similar experience in the Integration course. (The teacher might as well have read straight from the book.) I don't know if this is the style the program has dictated that teachers use, however, or if my friend and I just had bad luck.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your responses.

spaceman82 wrote:
I'm curious how people found the instruction for the Korean classes. I've heard from friends that their classes were unhelpful and entirely in lecture format, and I'm sorry to say I had a similar experience in the Integration course. (The teacher might as well have read straight from the book.) I don't know if this is the style the program has dictated that teachers use, however, or if my friend and I just had bad luck.

I am curious as well, particularly if the classes are free. If the classroom instruction is terrible then I'll go elsewhere. Working towards the points visa would be nice, but my main initiative is simply a New Year's resolution, and I saw "free" and was like, "Wow!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 30 of 33

Jump to: