Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Weirdest Thing You've Witnessed in Korea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
byrddogs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janny wrote:
Quote:

KimchiNinja wrote:

Now if we change the topic to the USA, man have I got some stories! I went down to get coffee one morning and there was a homeless and/or drug addict woman in the streets asking at the top of her lungs "can I have a quarter, I need to buy a tampon!!!!". And that's not even weird, for the USA, that's just any normal day in the city.

Koreans don't behave in that disgraceful uncouth way thankfully.
Quote:

That reminds me.
Not once, but on two different occasions, I've seen women walking in front of me wearing white pants with a noticeable stain of blood centred in the lower crotch region. Too bad they didn't ask anyone for tampons.

LOL, seriously? That's really wrong. You could probably take a photo and get them to pay ~$10M won, or else you release it on the internet.

Do shut up, please.

Just let him do his thing; it makes him feel better about himself. Besides, everyone knows it is just a troll.
Speck7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhweecher wrote:
Have a friend who went to a very straight jimjirlbang in Gangnam and saw a white guy giving a drunk Korean a BJ. The Korean dude woke up yelling and the white guy ran (apparently he didn't bother to even take off his clothes at all).

LOL, why do all the diseased, disgusting losers come to Korea giving the rest of us a bad rap?
seoulsucker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first night in Korea I saw a guy I presumed to be a low-level gangster get into a verbal argument with a bunch of other gangsters at a really cheap hostess bar. He stood up, grabbed a bottle of OB, and bashed it over his own head knocking himself unconscious.

The following year I witnessed a sort of knife attack on a bus. Some dude who was clearly off his meds or on something else got a running start from the back of the bus and did a flying drop kick to another guy he had just been talking to. They tumbled around a bit and the crazy guy pulled out a large kitchen knife, attempted to attack the guy, and then the driver. He never connected with anything other than his own arm with a slight cut, eventually dropped the knife and walked to the back of the bus again. He picked up some woman's kid and put her on his lap. The kid freaked out. I was yelling at the driver to open the door and let us all off, but he just kind of shrugged and kept driving. With the kid and the mom in hysterics, a few people told him to put the kid down, which set him off again. He punched a few windows, and when the driver FINALLY opened the door at the next stop he jumped out, ran to the bus in front of us, and started another fight.

Later the cops pulled the bus in front of us over, took statements from everyone, and were surprised when we said the tussle started on the bus we were on. I clearly remember the cop pointing at me and asking another passenger, "What did HE do?" Laughing
Scorpion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speck7 wrote:
duhweecher wrote:
Have a friend who went to a very straight jimjirlbang in Gangnam and saw a white guy giving a drunk Korean a BJ. The Korean dude woke up yelling and the white guy ran (apparently he didn't bother to even take off his clothes at all).

LOL, why do all the diseased, disgusting losers come to Korea giving the rest of us a bad rap?

I'll just go ahead and assume you are one of them.
chickenpie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a mountain and forest behind my house, about 200 meters from the base of the mountain are some public toilets. I've caught about ten ajoshis shitting in the forest despite the toilets being so close.

I surprises me how ignorant the old people are in this country, burning plastic when recycling free. Rolling Eyes
Ruthdes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

August 2008, about 7 months after I arrived in Korea. My mum was visiting and we were hiking at Inwangsan, where there is a Shinto shrine, and you can see some cool rock formations. We were hiking up above the rocks, looking for the Seoul city walls. I came around a corner, slightly ahead of my mum, to see an adjosshi, completely naked, standing off to the side of the track praying.

I started to back away immediately saying "I'm sorry, I'm sorry", to which he replied that it was "man and woman's praying time" and told my mother and me in his broken English that we would have to hide in the bushes until it was over. This was about 4:30pm and he told us it would finish at 5pm.

He didn't seem particularly threatening, but we didn't know if there was anyone else around, plus, we didn't want to be disrespectful if it actually was some special time (despite the fact that no one else we'd seen in the, admittedly fairly empty, vicinity seemed to be bothered by our presence), so we decided to humour him.

After sitting in the bushes, he decided he wanted to talk to us, and asked me if this lady was my mother, and other questions I can't remember. I do remember he was standing quite close to where I was sitting, and his exposed junk was a lot closer to my face than I was comfortable with. In the mean time, I was calling every Korean in my contacts list, trying to get an idea if he was actually telling us something legitimate. No one answered my damn phone calls! Finally I called tourist information, and the lady said "I don't think he's talking right..."

At this point, mum and I decided it was time to cut this short (not short enough!). We were being eaten alive by mosquitoes and this guy, while not threatening, was hardly making us comfortable. We told him we were sorry, but we had to leave, and he was very concerned that we wouldn't disturb anyone, but let us go.

I guess we had sat there about 15 minutes, and when I look back, I wonder why I humoured him at all. However, at the time, my Korean language was limited to basic survival skills, and my knowledge of Korean culture was still pretty new, and both of us wanted to be culturally sensitive.

It is certainly the weirdest story I've ever heard anyone in Korea tell, and if my mum hadn't seen it and discussed it with me since, I would think I had imagined it!
Ruthdes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another:

I was sitting on the subway and became aware of a rather rank odour. Looking around, I realise I'm sitting next to a hippy-style Korean woman, I guess in her forties, with the most disgusting dreadlocks I've ever laid eyes (or nose) on. They were down to her waist and would've been awesome if they hadn't smelled like something had died in them three weeks before.
Milwaukiedave

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen men urinating in public twice. The second time was in Seoul National University of Education Station. I yelled at the guy. He was shocked.
sojusucks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cultists tried to recruit me, someone wanted to arrange a marriage for me, and I have been hit on numerous times by members of the same sex. At first it was weird. Unfortunately, I don't think twice about it all now.
fermentation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I observed a bright white sphere floating still in the sky for several hours at night. It wasn't the moon because I could see the moon. I tried to figure out what it was and concluded that it was probably a UFO.
jonski

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can think of dozens of stories, but some of the best are:

1- in crowded public bathroom at a train station I can't remember the name of, I was taking a slash in the urinals. Turned around to find a homeless guy standing in the central area with his cacks at his ankles. He was cleaning sh!t from his underwear with a handfull of tissue. WHY not go into one of the empty cubicles I thought!

2- Seeing MEN wear skin tight yoga pants. Who wants to see men's thighs and ass?

3- I stopped a vicious fight just 2 minutes from my house. Two drunk guys were repeatedly kicking a barely concious man on the floor in the head. Blood absolutely everywhere. The guys ran off when I grabbed one of them. The shocking part WASN'T the blood. It was the fact 4 randoms were just watching it. No one did anything to stop it. Cowards. Then the police came like 5 minutes later and told me to "LEAVE" and were very rude, despite the fact I stopped the guy from sustaining further damage..
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenpie wrote:
There is a mountain and forest behind my house, about 200 meters from the base of the mountain are some public toilets. I've caught about ten ajoshis shitting in the forest despite the toilets being so close.

I doubt if those public toilets are pleasant to use. I wouldn't want to be seen, especially as a teacher Laughing
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:
I observed a bright white sphere floating still in the sky for several hours at night. It wasn't the moon because I could see the moon. I tried to figure out what it was and concluded that it was probably a UFO.

Glow in the dark balloon. I wonder if you could get something like that to puzzle fermentation. Actually a helium balloon with a light bulb in it Laughing
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Rogers wrote:
I worked at a hogwon and had a new roomate who arrived at the apartment with a suitcase full of whiskey bottles. He used to get so wasted each night and spent hours screaming at various pieces of furniture around the apartment.

He got fired and kicked out of the apt 5 days later. Thank God.

Yeah, but unfortunately for him he was ill. I feel sorry for him.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maitaidads wrote:
nate1983 wrote:
maitaidads wrote:
A couple of years ago, I snuck into an abandoned love motel at the base of Walker Hill. All the furniture, phones, sheets, etc were intact from the lobby to the rooms, but they were all covered in a massive layer of dust.
I wanted some sort of souvenir, so I crept down the pitch black hallway and came to the last room, which was the only one to have the door closed. I thought something interesting might be in there, so I gathered my nerves and kicked in the door FBI-style.
I was immediately met with incoherent demon shrieking. I didn't even get a look at the person, but ran the length of the motel and jumped through the broken glass side door, taking out a few of the shards like a stuntman. Ran down the hill and didn't look back.

I guess you don't mind the possibility of being charged with breaking and entering, or criminal trespass. Doing that kind of stuff isn't worth it.

Ok- being in a filthy basement bar where the toilet was a 5 gallon paint bucket in a closet. The adjumma bartender then hauled it up to the street and dumped it after it was suitably filled.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: