Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why are so many Westerners here obese?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiwigoddess

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really is a case of each to their own. I've met so many slim/buff people who also have really ugly personalities. On a friendship basis, this isnt so bad because I'm not likely to ever look at them in any other light. I also have met many bigger people who have the most wonderful personalities and are really good value. I tend to choose my friends based on their personalities and how they treat me rather than their looks. If having to see other Western people who dont fit your ideal is the biggest issue in your life, perhaps you should find a more suitable hobby because clearly you dont deal very well with people watching whilst drinking coffee in a public environment.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiwigoddess wrote:
This really is a case of each to their own. I've met so many slim/buff people who also have really ugly personalities. On a friendship basis, this isnt so bad because I'm not likely to ever look at them in any other light. I also have met many bigger people who have the most wonderful personalities and are really good value. I tend to choose my friends based on their personalities and how they treat me rather than their looks. If having to see other Western people who dont fit your ideal is the biggest issue in your life, perhaps you should find a more suitable hobby because clearly you dont deal very well with people watching whilst drinking coffee in a public environment.

Welcome to Korea High School. The waygooks who don't fit your demographic or ideal look don't speak to each other....
yodanole

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ginormousaurus wrote:
I can't decide who's link was better, yodanole's or Yaya's. Wink

Clearly, Yaya's link is superior, because he is my senior on this forum by 5 days.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me add also that I feel myself getting fatter as the effin dorks won't turn on the a/c or turn it on enough. makes me tired and just want to chill at home in a/c after work. not much exercise lately at all. thanks korea!!
Yaya

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One out of four Seoul citizens obese: report

Nearly 25 percent of adult citizens in Seoul are obese amid a lack of exercise, with the proportion on the rise for the fourth consecutive year in 2012, a report showed Thursday.

According to the report by the Seoul Metropolitan Government, 23.4 percent out of 23,165 surveyed citizens aged 19 or older were obese in 2012, with 31.6 percent among male citizens and 16.5 percent among women.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/techscience/2013/06/27/0601000000AEN20130627001500315.HTML
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:

Nearly 25 percent of adult citizens in Seoul are obese amid a lack of exercise, with the proportion on the rise for the fourth consecutive year in 2012, a report showed Thursday.

According to the report by the Seoul Metropolitan Government, 23.4 percent out of 23,165 surveyed citizens aged 19 or older were obese in 2012, with 31.6 percent among male citizens and 16.5 percent among women.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/techscience/2013/06/27/0601000000AEN20130627001500315.HTML

I think Seoul would have less obesiety rates as you walk a lot from subway to street up stairs and down stairs, etc. Will make you lose weight fast as there's always places to go and things to do. Out in the country where there's not much to do, I'd think obesiety rates would be higher.
fermentation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what the standards of obesity here are. Several people I know who work out regularly have been told by their docs that they are obese. And one of them is an amateur fighter.
The Great Toad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

나는 잘생긴 나는 아주 유감 스럽다 하지만 당신은 지방 다이어트 이동 하십시오 햄버거를 먹지 않아요 김치를 먹으십시오 난이 도움 바랍니다.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Toad wrote:
나는 잘생긴 나는 아주 유감 스럽다 하지만 당신은 지방 다이어트 이동 하십시오 햄버거를 먹지 않아요 김치를 먹으십시오 난이 도움 바랍니다.

What about a little from Column A and a little from Column B? ALong with a lot of exercise, you'll stay slim enough. Prob for me is summer heat. So, I try to make it up in winter.
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the opposite; I get more exercise during summer than winter. Though my dodgy calf muscle is making that less true by the day ATM
Titus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FDNY wrote:
Weigookin74 wrote:
Poor countries have skinny people who are on the verge of starvation. Rich countries have plenty of foods and lots of variety, hence the weight gain problem. Less smoking to suppress appetite and other things. Most people aren't going to be movie stars so they don't keep their weight down. Lots of younger Koreans getting chubby nowadays too. Only difference I notice are chubby Korean girls are happy, while many chubby Western girls seem pissed at the world.

Actually, it is the opposite. Rich people tend to much slimmer than poor people.

Wealthy people in wealthy nations tend much more healthy than poor people in wealthy nations. Wealthy people, for example, eat quality over quantity. Smaller portions of better food. Poor people eat large quantities of poor quality food. I assume 60-65k is the cut off for buffet attendance.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
Yaya wrote:

I think Seoul would have less obesiety rates as you walk a lot from subway to street up stairs and down stairs, etc. Will make you lose weight fast as there's always places to go and things to do. Out in the country where there's not much to do, I'd think obesiety rates would be higher.

More unhealthy food options to eat perhaps in Seoul. I know I was heavier when I lived in Gyeongi-do than when I was out in the sticks in Gangwon-do. In the latter, nearly all my meals were Korean food. I also walked more in Gangwon-do.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XaPzN2gD3PQ
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvalmer wrote:
And for the guys a 2 year stint in the army help a lot slim down. Although they may start smoking in those two years.

Smoking actually helps combat obesity (although it is HORRIBLE for other aspects of heath). It is an appetite suppressant. I wonder if that is part the reason Koreans are slimmer than Americans (generally speaking). Only 18% of Americans smoke (and among college grads it's less than 10%). Way more Koreans smoke, proportionally.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:

Yeah, I don't put much faith in that stat.

I had my physical a few months back - doc called me obese. I've got a 6 pack… seriously. How can someone be obese and showing abs?

They just use a BMI or weight/height rail of "norms". If you don't fit in those norms, you are obese.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: