Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

living in Korea with a child
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Speck7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the answer is obviously think about your daughter and put her first. That would mean not coming to Korea and making her life a living hell.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speck7 wrote:
the answer is obviously think about your daughter and put her first. That would mean not coming to Korea and making her life a living hell.

The actual answer is plan well, do your homework, ask other expats living in Korea with their kids and then make an informed decision for your kid and your welfare....

This actually applies to anyone thinking of moving abroad with their kid(s).
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^
The OP doesn't know the language, neither does her child, and her child is dark skinned. How well do you think the child will do in school? Her mother won't be able to talk to the teacher or help her with her homework. Sounds like the best plan is not to come.

I'm an expat here. My wife is Korean, my son speaks Korean - that's a big difference.
Lazio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speck7 wrote:

Yet another dodge7 sock... Rolling Eyes
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having grown up attending international schools, I think the kids have great experiences for most countries they live in, and definitely make good friends.

Not attending an international school might not be as much fun. Stay safe.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunnyjazz wrote:
There is no way I can afford to send my daughter to an international school; I'd love to have her come to school with me but since the position is at a university that's not going to work. I talked to the professor who is recruiting at the university about my idea to hire a translator to go to school with my daughter for awhile, maybe a college student, and she seemed to think that was a good idea. Of course I don't know how much that would cost.

If you can't afford to send your child to an international school, you certainly can't afford translators. For the time involved, you'll need to hire a group of translators, not just one. On top of that, I'd be surprised if any translation firm would provide such a service in Korea.

That prof is clueless. Of course he thinks it's a good idea because he thinks your hearing that will get you to come over regardless of the reality.

Last edited by CentralCali on Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
kingplaya4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prices are far far higher than when you were here years back. Seven years ago I could save pretty decently on a 2 million won salary. Now that entire salary would be completely spent on getting set up here, grocery bills, increasingly expensive utilities etc.

When I say no one can make it on this salary, they may be able to survive on regular meals of kimbap at 1500won a piece. So you'll easily either lose your dignity or be prepared to not save.

My wife and I both don't drink, we don't smoke, the last time we took a trip was several years ago for my honeymoon. I don't own a smartphone. Sadly I still wear a lot of clothes from college that still look presentable. Our Groceries are 600,000 a month 300,000 to out landlord, then 300,000 building management fee which includes 24 hour security. Now we internet, cable, home phone which is around 150 in total. With the increase in bus fares I know average over 100 a month to pay them. Cell phone is another 100. Some of the rest of these may seem unecessary but with a daughter I'm sure you'll other things to spend on. The rest per month:student books $50, cats $100 we have a number and sometimes they have to go the hospitable, doctor $50 (my wife aren't particularly sickly but I'm including dentist in this so it more than fair.) With the bad air here I consider vitamins of $50 essential. The last part I don't think of as essential but gifts $50 for relatives seem to be given in monthly increments, and sometimes if the person was a close relative it would be more. An example is my wife's aunt got $200 from us after she hospitalized in serious condition but a condition she would soon recover from.

Last but not least I have to pay 300 a month every month for well quite a long time. I thought I would, and in fact I did lop off 15k my first two years in Korea but then the exchange rate crashed. It's mostly come back now, but now so much of my money is spent domestically, that I even find myself skipping the minimum a month or here.
The only a person could save a million a month would to first of all include your pension and severance.

I lopped off things like the cats and you buying books sometimes for students which is not something that has to be done, I also took out the gift money as you won't have any korean relatives here, although the school may pressure you to contribute to various things.

So basically you're spending everything you bring in on the regular 2.0-2.2
Now you only need six grand to get buy and get your 10 k of savings, so you need to look at jobs offering 2.7+. That would make everything add up
You'd still feel tight but there' no reason you couldn't save 10k on this salary.

I still think that minimally you need 3 million a month to be financially content here. That is a good bit less than what the children's families that you teach earn, but the way must westerners live here without a car it's enough.

I;m stuck here obviously but If I had gone back to the states for some reason then I wouldn't consider anything less than this.Perhaps if the business offers some perks, and is just a little short of this you might want to compromise, but remember you want 3 million won a month, and offer that is significantly less than that will give you a poor quality of life here.

Read or ignore but it's the gods honest truth on my expenses here, which I've done my best to pare down.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King, that's what posts on here should be. You're not saying this is how it is in Korea, you're saying, this is how it is for ME in Korea… and giving an honest assessment of your expenses.

Good stuff
jvalmer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore the naysayers and put your kid in the public system. Tons of <whatever>-Americans had to put up with racism in America, especially pre-2000, and most of them turn out alright.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, I see immigration as very different from a short stay. If the OP was wanting to immigrate to Korea, and raise their child here, then getting them in the public school system (with some assistance), might be a very good option.

But if they're only here for a year or so... I'm not really sure what a year of sitting in a Korean public school is going to teach this young learner. /shrug
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="sunnyjazz" My past experience with Koreans has been so positive that I figured she should be in good shape with the kids; I actually thought she might be better off in a more social society than where we live in the States.[/quote]

I think you have been away from Korea for too long.

The public education system, barring near mandatory attendance to hakwons, is downright atrocious. Classroom behavior is terrible. Teachers have no control since they can not a) fail students b) reprimand them in any way w/o repercussions from parents c) still reply on corporal punishment when it has been outlawed recently.

Before you seriously think about putting your child in a public school here I would go some googling of Korean elementary classroom incidents.
archaeologist5

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: living in Korea with a child Reply with quote

sunnyjazz wrote:
I lived in Korea for three years in the early 1990's and am thinking of returning this year. Now I have an 8 year old daughter and I'm wondering if this would be a good thing for her or not. We would not be living in Seoul or Busan. I'm also not sure if I'll be earning enough for us to live on; the base salary is 28,200 won. Advice? Thanks-

You are going to get a lot of contrary advice which will make you a bit confused. If you want to bring your daughter, then do so. But make sure you can handle the situation you are putting the two of you in.

Do your research thoroughly and make an informed decision regardless of what anyone has said on this thread. She is your daughter not theirs and frankly they don't care.

If you think you can live without your daughter then leave her behind but how will that affect her? Missionaries have faced this decision for centuries now as they have had to go to their countries and either leave their kids with family or send them off to missionary schools in another country or area of the country they're in.

It is not an easy decision to make and no one but you and your daughter are going to pay the price. SO think things through carefully making sure you cover all the bases and do what is best.
Jodami

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP - don't do it.

Unless your kid goes to an international school - sending your child to learn from the average Korean teacher/go to the average Korean school/go through the Korean education system, is tantamount to child abuse.
Fox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingplaya4 wrote:
. Sadly I still wear a lot of clothes from college that still look presentable. Our Groceries are 600,000 a month 300,000 to out landlord, then 300,000 building management fee which includes 24 hour security.

Last but not least I have to pay 300 a month every month for well quite a long time.

Right there is 900,000 won a month many people won't have to pay, though, and if you take that into account, a lot of the savings potential and/or financial leeway comes right back. Within the context of your circumstances, your concerns are understandable, and your post is informative, but 900,000 won a month of your salary vanishing into loan payments and housing isn't going to be universal.

Regarding the topic of bringing children to Korea, I know a couple who brought three children with them, have put all three into the Korean public school system, and things worked out fine. The kids have naturally acquired Korean, and while there have been the occasional tiffs and squabbles of any childhood, nothing really problematic has happened. The kids seem to be learning well and thriving just fine. The fact that the couple are great parents probably helps.
archaeologist5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jodami wrote:
OP - don't do it.

Unless your kid goes to an international school - sending your child to learn from the average Korean teacher/go to the average Korean school/go through the Korean education system, is tantamount to child abuse.

that is not correct.

I would say some other things but I am not in the mood to be suspended.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: