Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Request For Renewal Rejected

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonkavite62

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Request For Renewal Rejected Reply with quote

I am an experienced teacher. I am currently teaching in 3 public schools on Korea's south coast. I came in April, and I prepared my lessons, I was punctual, and I tried to have a positive relationship with all of my students. As you will know, the paperwork involved in getting the job was quite extensive. I was pleased when I settled into the job and passed the six month probationary period. I had quite a lot of good classes, but there were some difficult classes.
I work in technical high schools, where the English level is low, and attention spans are short. But I managed. When evaluations came up, I was told that I needed a higher grade to transfer-even within the same province-so I asked to renew at the same schools. The job seemed fine, but I really dislike the area I'm based in. It's DULL. It has been really hard to make friends and the Koreans try NOT to interact with foreigners.(I worked in a small city in Korea before, and some of the Koreans there became friends).
The other day, during my vacation in SE Asia, I got a message. The BOE decided I am just not good enough to work for them. Well, I was placed in My contract ends at the end of April. I am going to start job hunting today. But I would like to ask if there will be many job options at the start of May?
I assume I will get a reference-I wasn't that bad. I assume public schools are out of the question because my grade was lower than the 80 % needed to stay on. But what about hagwons? I want to work in a real city, like Busan, Daegu, Seoul, Incheon, or Gyeonggi Do. Is that possible if I'm not a beautiful woman? I'd like opinions from teachers on which hagwons are okay, and which are not.
I have to admit that there's one GREAT THING about being rejected. It means I can get the hell out of that dreary town and never come back. How exciting. By the way, I have not ruled out the possibility of a return to China. It seems that the current Korean govt. is just not that interested in western teachers.
Smithington

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about that. Koreans can be odd, and quite unreasonable employers. I've had my request for renewal denied in the past and was just floored. The explanations they gave (in writing) simply made no sense. They were just words that said nothing. Just nonsensical blather. They did give me a written reference but when schools called they trashed me. Why? I have no friggin' idea. I love teaching kids, and they sense it. I was a great teacher. Unfortunately that's not the most important factor when they consider renewals. They have their special own "Korean reasons" for deciding on renewals. Don't try to make sense of it. Just accept it. But remember that Koreans are extremely thin skinned and holding grievances is a national sport. If you had even the slightest disagreement with a co-teacher six months ago, they bid their time and strike at renewal time. They have a collective mental age of twelve.

I have never heard of a person being banned from another MOE job. The school can choose not to renew you, and withhold a reference letter, but they can't get you banned. Try again at another public school....Avoid hogwans if you can.

Best of luck to you.
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Request For Renewal Rejected Reply with quote

wonkavite62 wrote:
the paperwork involved in getting the job was quite extensive.

No kidding. This is one of the main drawbacks now with Korea.

Quote:
the Koreans try NOT to interact with foreigners.

It was historically known as 'the hermit kingdom' for a reason.

Quote:
The BOE decided I am just not good enough to work for them.

I wouldn't take it to heart. They never rate people on actual work performance but on personalities and politics. If the deciders are comprised of ajosshis then you have no chance. All they want is a pretty female.

Quote:
I have not ruled out the possibility of a return to China. It seems that the current Korean govt. is just not that interested in western teachers.

You speak the truth. Korea is declining as an esl destination, china is on the up.
Rockhard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try not to take it too personally.

Often the decision to keep a teacher or not is based on a hundred things, your ability to teach, being number 100. Their budget, the potential of getting a female, quotas, a Korean teacher who has it out for you, your salary, the law,etc...

Luckily, yes, May is the best time to get a job because literally EVERYBODY is hiring or would like to.
Unfortunately, there are so many people in the country with F-visas and loads of experience that you are back of the queue.
Smithington

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it lovely how they dropped this bomb on you while you're on vacation in S. E. Asia. Couldn't they have waited until you finished your holiday (stress free) and returned to Korea? After all, they don't have to inform you of this decision until the end of the tenth month. But it's just typical of Korean employers. No consideration for foreigners whatsoever. "Wait until she's relaxed and enjoying her vacation at the beach....then hit her with the bad news. Make sure her vacation is, rather than restful, one filled with anxiety." Confused

Whatever else working in Korea is, it could never be described as a stress-free experience. Losing a job means you're also out of an apartment, have to deal with immigration, start the job search / interview process again, start a new job, move into a new apartment, have to work with a bunch of new Korean co-teachers, etc. It ain't fun and can be the cause of some anxiety. To drop that reality on someone who has escaped Korea for a couple of weeks, and is having a rare tress-free moment in Thailand, is just such a typically Korean thing to do.

And they wonder why so many people have a negative opinion of their "culture".
thegadfly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithington wrote:
Isn't it lovely how they dropped this bomb on you while you're on vacation in S. E. Asia. Couldn't they have waited until you finished your holiday (stress free) and returned to Korea? After all, they don't have to inform you of this decision until the end of the tenth month. But it's just typical of Korean employers. No consideration for foreigners whatsoever. "Wait until she's relaxed and enjoying her vacation at the beach....then hit her with the bad news. Make sure her vacation is, rather than restful, one filled with anxiety." Confused

Whatever else working in Korea is, it could never be described as a stress-free experience. Losing a job means you're also out of an apartment, have to deal with immigration, start the job search / interview process again, start a new job, move into a new apartment, have to work with a bunch of new Korean co-teachers, etc. It ain't fun and can be the cause of some anxiety. To drop that reality on someone who has escaped Korea for a couple of weeks, and is having a rare tress-free moment in Thailand, is just such a typically Korean thing to do.

And they wonder why so many people have a negative opinion of their "culture".

Sorry, Smith, but the school wasn't wrong. This one can go either way -- I have recently had folks get upset about NOT being notified about negative news while on vacation. The school's thought process was "there is nothing the person can do while on vacation, so why ruin the break?" The school called as soon as the person got back (not a firing, but an unexpected apartment move), and the person was quite upset not to have been given notice while away....

Darned if ya do, darned if ya don't -- reality is, people are going to complain about getting bad news, no matter when it is broached.
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thegadfly wrote:
"there is nothing the person can do while on vacation, so why ruin the break?"

Its pretty hard to get a clean break from Korea when you're in between jobs. The sheer amount of paperwork back and forth in preparation for the next job alone keeps you tied to the place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: