Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Free wifi not available for Apple?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ironjohn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Free wifi not available for Apple? Reply with quote

Okay, so I'm curious about this. I went to a Homeplus the other day. After shopping I was planning to do some work on my laptop in one of the cafes.

I checked to see if there was wifi by pulling out my Android phone. Homeplus free wifi, strong signal. But when I checked on my iBook, it couldn't detect the same hotspot.

I figured maybe my mac was too old, or not configured correctly. But then I realized that Homeplus is run by Samsung-Tesco, and maybe they somehow blocked the wifi from being detected by Apple products. Curious if this possible?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Free wifi not available for Apple? Reply with quote

ironjohn wrote:
Okay, so I'm curious about this. I went to a Homeplus the other day. After shopping I was planning to do some work on my laptop in one of the cafes.

I checked to see if there was wifi by pulling out my Android phone. Homeplus free wifi, strong signal. But when I checked on my iBook, it couldn't detect the same hotspot.

I figured maybe my mac was too old, or not configured correctly. But then I realized that Homeplus is run by Samsung-Tesco, and maybe they somehow blocked the wifi from being detected by Apple products. Curious if this possible?

Nope. IEEE 802.11 can't tell what the machine is and doesn't care.

Either you have a dead wifi on your iBook or it was not configured properly (wifi turned off/disabled).

ironjohn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, the wifi works on the ibook, and I could detect all the other hotspots except the Homeplus one.

Just out of curiosity I did some research and one thread said it is possible to block certain manufacturers by using Media Access Control (MAC) address filtering, because "the first 6 bytes of a MAC address designates who manufactured said device."

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-944251.html

If (Tesco-Samsung) Homeplus is actually doing this, it wouldn't surprise me at all.
tatertot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ironjohn wrote:
I dunno, the wifi works on the ibook, and I could detect all the other hotspots except the Homeplus one.

Just out of curiosity I did some research and one thread said it is possible to block certain manufacturers by using Media Access Control (MAC) address filtering, because "the first 6 bytes of a MAC address designates who manufactured said device."

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-944251.html

If (Tesco-Samsung) Homeplus is actually doing this, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

I don't think you understood that correctly. The "device" you referred to is the NIC, not the whole computer. Apple doesn't manufacture any "devices" in that sense. Those manufacturers would be Broadcom or Intel or ... I can't remember the other famous NIC company right now. It doesn't refer to Apple, though.
ironjohn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see. Yeah, I'm probably looking for a conspiracy that's not there. Maybe the wifi signal was just too weak or something. Thanks for the responses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: