Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Official Rob Ford Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: The Official Rob Ford Thread Reply with quote

Has being in Korea made you realize something about your own country that didn't occur to you before? Or for those who have been here a long time, do you ever feel like you have lost a sense of what it's like to be home?

Last edited by Stain on Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Ginormousaurus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize just how nationalistic Canadians were.

I got so sick of Koreans boasting about Korea and being so damned concerned with other country's opinions (or lack thereof) of them. I always brought it up with my gf and pointed it out whenever I could.

THEN we went to Canada and she gave me a taste of my own medicine. Now, I love my country and I think Canada is a genuinely nice place, but we are way too proud of ourselves sometimes. It's like we try to take credit for the beautiful landscapes and whatnot.

One example that stands out for me was when my gf and I went into Chapters (a book store) and they had posters all over the store proclaiming that "The world needs more Canada" or something to that effect. My gf laughed when she pointed it out and started chanting, "Canada number 1! Canada number 1!" while jabbing her index finger in the air. This is something I would often do upon hearing any sort of boastful comment about Korea.

Any Canadians remember the "Canada kicks ass" T-shirts and bumper stickers that were all the rage in the 2000s? Too much!
Stain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ginormousaurus for replying. I'm from the states so I knew pretty well how nationalistic it is. However, being here made me realize how divided my own country is. It's really just a bunch of groups that make up a divided united country separated by idealism. I used to think that individualism was a joke back home, but I've changed my mind about that. Being immersed in a Korean family has shown me that I have some deeply ingrained desire to be separated or to have some distance. I'm not saying my way is better. Just that the desire is there for it.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ginormousaurus wrote:

I got so sick of Koreans boasting about Korea and being so damned concerned with other country's opinions (or lack thereof) of them. I always brought it up with my gf and pointed it out whenever I could.

THEN we went to Canada and she gave me a taste of my own medicine. Now, I love my country and I think Canada is a genuinely nice place, but we are way too proud of ourselves sometimes. It's like we try to take credit for the beautiful landscapes and whatnot.

One example that stands out for me was when my gf and I went into Chapters (a book store) and they had posters all over the store proclaiming that "The world needs more Canada" or something to that effect. My gf laughed when she pointed it out and started chanting, "Canada number 1! Canada number 1!" while jabbing her index finger in the air. This is something I would often do upon hearing any sort of boastful comment about Korea.

Any Canadians remember the "Canada kicks ass" T-shirts and bumper stickers that were all the rage in the 2000s? Too much!

My wife pointed out many such things! Glad to know I am not alone with this...

The whole "Canada Rocks" line is also pretty funny.
Stain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
Ginormousaurus wrote:

That is funny. I grew up in Texas, which was like a country in itself, and the whole "Don't mess with Texas" thing was everywhere: bumper stickers, billboards, merchandise, etc. It was originally a slogan against littering, but the rest of the country had another impression.
I'm With You

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ginormousaurus wrote:

Over the years I've learned, much to my surprise, that Canadians are indeed nationalistic and quite self-righteous.

Canada is really just a part of the United States, but the government doesn't want them to know that. Keep them dumb with Tim Horton's and hockey, and they won't cause any problems.

What a mess, though; the horrors of multiculturalism / cultural mosaic.

Rob Ford has given Americans a lot of entertainment though, and many of us cannot wait for the next installment. The latest one on Youtube in the Jamaican restaruant is pretty funny, also. He was on CNN and said that he, "...absolutely does not drink anymore." aha!
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stain wrote:
PatrickGHBusan wrote:
Ginormousaurus wrote:

That is funny. I grew up in Texas, which was like a country in itself, and the whole "Don't mess with Texas" thing was everywhere: bumper stickers, billboards, merchandise, etc. It was originally a slogan against littering, but the rest of the country had another impression.

Wow, I would have never guessed that slogan was originally an anti-littering campaign. That's kinda funny.
Stain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
Stain wrote:
PatrickGHBusan wrote:
Ginormousaurus wrote:

Wow, I would have never guessed that slogan was originally an anti-littering campaign. That's kinda funny.

Yeah, they don't even want Texans messing with Texas.
Gravity Wins

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm With You wrote:
Ginormousaurus wrote:

Over the years I've learned, much to my surprise, that Canadians are indeed nationalistic and quite self-righteous.

Canada is really just a part of the United States, but the government doesn't want them to know that. Keep them dumb with Tim Horton's and hockey, and they won't cause any problems.

What a mess, though; the horrors of multiculturalism / cultural mosaic.

Rob Ford has given Americans a lot of entertainment though, and many of us cannot wait for the next installment. The latest one on Youtube in the Jamaican restaruant is pretty funny, also. He was on CNN and said that he, "...absolutely does not drink anymore." aha!

Dude, he was in a McDonalds, imitating a Jamaican. Though the quote I highlighted was about as on-point as the rest of the gibberish you posted.
Stain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started this thread, I was hoping Rob Ford would come up. Never did I dream that it would happen so fast.
Ginormousaurus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stain wrote:
When I started this thread, I was hoping Rob Ford would come up. Never did I dream that it would happen so fast.

Rob Ford never disappoints. Unless you voted for him, that is.
I'm With You

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was unfortunate enough to be Canadian, I'd for sure vote for Rob Ford.

Extremnely entertaining.

Wonder what kind of shennanigans he'll get into next.

More people around the world can now at least find Canada on a map, thanks to Rob Ford. Even a couple of my students were laughing about it in class last week.
Stain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, anybody else with a Rob Ford comment before I change back to the original thread title?
Scorpion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm With You wrote:
Canada is really just a part of the United States, but the government doesn't want them to know that.

Education fail. Logic fail. Reality fail. Where'd you get your degree? The Ann Coulter School of Uneducated Blather? or Rush Limbaugh Center for Ignorance as a Virtue.

You're an embarassment.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
I'm With You wrote:
Canada is really just a part of the United States, but the government doesn't want them to know that.

Education fail. Logic fail. Reality fail. Where'd you get your degree? The Ann Coulter School of Uneducated Blather? or Rush Limbaugh Center for Ignorance as a Virtue.

You're an embarassment.

What can be said. We put Canada (much like all of Western Europe) under our umbrella of protection and what do we get for it? Well Europe wasn't swallowed up by the Soviet Union or messed with by China, so we have quite a bit of commerce. But really if all these people on this forum don't like the US military, well then I would just as soon cut back on taxes and military spending for the benefit of some other countries and spend them on something else. Who cares what happens to the countries of these American bashers on the forum, I don't.

Canada though should be swallowed up by the US, it should be an addition to the American manifest destiny Laughing Most Canadians would have to be put in to menial labor camps due to the hostility that would be encountered.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: