Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Obama speaks out on marijuana
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
World Traveler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Obama speaks out on marijuana Reply with quote

Quote:
When I asked Obama about another area of shifting public opinion—the legalization of marijuana—he seemed even less eager to evolve with any dispatch and get in front of the issue. “As has been well documented, I smoked pot as a kid, and I view it as a bad habit and a vice, not very different from the cigarettes that I smoked as a young person up through a big chunk of my adult life. I don’t think it is more dangerous than alcohol.”

Is it less dangerous? I asked.

Quote:
Less dangerous, he said, “in terms of its impact on the individual consumer.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2014/01/27/140127fa_fact_remnick?currentPage=all
Quote:
“we should not be locking up kids or individual users for long stretches of jail time when some of the folks who are writing those laws have probably done the same thing.” Accordingly, he said of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and Washington that “it’s important for it to go forward because it’s important for society not to have a situation in which a large portion of people have at one time or another broken the law and only a select few get punished.”
Ginormousaurus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The legalization movement has so much momentum right now. It's wonderful. We need that to extend up into Canada.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

US marijuana policy edges toward acceptance
Quote:
US Attorney General Eric Holder this week said the federal government will issue banking regulations for state-approved marijuana businesses licensed to sell the drug for recreational or medical use.

http://news.yahoo.com/us-marijuana-policy-edges-toward-acceptance-132324509.html
World Traveler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analysis: Florida Democrats may get buzz from medical marijuana

MIAMI (Reuters) - A November ballot measure to legalize marijuana for medicinal use in Florida could have a decidedly political side effect.

The ballot proposal, which was approved by Florida's Supreme Court on Monday, is so popular it could help Democrats unseat the state's Republican Governor, Rick Scott, who is up for re-election in November.

Democrats believe it could energize their base in a midterm electoral season that generally results in low turn out, while polls show even a majority of Florida Republicans support medical marijuana use.

http://news.yahoo.com/analysis-florida-democrats-may-buzz-medical-marijuana-003416423.html

Prominent Orlando attorney John Morgan, the former employer and a longtime backer of Crist, has pumped $3 million into the ballot effort that collected 1.1 million signatures.

He denies the marijuana initiative was planned by Democrats as an election ploy.

"I never saw this as a get out the vote trick. I saw it as the right thing to do," he said.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ginormousaurus wrote:
The legalization movement has so much momentum right now. It's wonderful. We need that to extend up into Canada.

Yeah, it's interesting to see the political winds changing on it so quickly.

I wonder if it'll change more in Canada - but I sort of doubt it. Everyone I ask back home thinks it's (mostly) legal anyway. lol
Ginormousaurus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

Yeah, it's interesting to see the political winds changing on it so quickly.

I wonder if it'll change more in Canada - but I sort of doubt it. Everyone I ask back home thinks it's (mostly) legal anyway. lol

I think it's unlikely that the Conservatives will be in any rush to change the status quo. And I don't think Trudeau will be able to unseat Harper in 2015 based on his pro-legalization stance alone. But I'm sure that if the legalization experiments in Colorado and Washington are a success, many more states will follow. Once legalization is firmly entrenched in many states, Canada may then follow suit.

It may seem practically legal in some places in Canada, but I still run the risk of supporting real criminals if I have to seek out a new dealer everytime I move to a new city. I'd much rather buy it from a business that pays taxes and provides employees with a living wage.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wowzers!
Quote:
DENVER (AP) — The federal government is ready to let farmers grow cannabis

http://www.votehemp.com/PDF/Pages_from_farm0127.pdf

So cool! Hemp growing is legit now!
guavashake

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.marijuana.com/news/2012/12/obama-explains-recreational-pot-use-not-high-on-his-to-do-list/

Fun Fact... In Colorado, marijuana got more votes than Obama.
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Obama speaks out on marijuana Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
I smoked pot as a kid

..so the president of the USA would not be good enough to qualify for an E2.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U.S. deputy drug czar says pot is less dangerous than alcohol
http://news.yahoo.com/drug-czar-pot-marijuana-alcohol-dangerous-150529056.html
(!_!)
Hyeon In

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Obama speaks out on marijuana Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
World Traveler wrote:
I smoked pot as a kid

He could get an E1 and teach constitutional law or something though? If he's ever desperate.
Leon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Obama speaks out on marijuana Reply with quote

Hyeon In wrote:
Chaparrastique wrote:
World Traveler wrote:
I smoked pot as a kid

He could get an E1 and teach constitutional law or something though? If he's ever desperate.

If he doesn't have an arrest record, than he would get in fine. Plus, being a Harvard grad and ex-president he could have his pick of uni positions.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stores are on track to add $100 million in marijuana tax revenue to Colorado in the first year of recreational sales. By comparison, alcohol taxes – which are very low – brought in just $35 million to Colorado in 2013.

http://blog.sfgate.com/smellthetruth/2014/02/06/colorado-marijuana-taxes-total-1-24-3-million-in-january/
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

US drug policy fuels push for legal pot worldwide

From the Americas to Europe to North Africa and beyond, the marijuana legalization movement is gaining unprecedented traction — a nod to successful efforts in Colorado, Washington state and the small South American nation of Uruguay

http://news.yahoo.com/us-drug-policy-fuels-push-legal-pot-worldwide-130121981.html
Ginormousaurus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pot businesses are now allowed access to the financial services banks offer any other business. This is a major step in normalizing the recreational marijuana industry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: