Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E-7 visa; 5 years and residency?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drew345

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: E-7 visa; 5 years and residency? Reply with quote

I am on an E-7 visa now. I am a certified secondary teacher, and I teach technology at an international school (not bragging, just details). Is this one of the visas that allows you to possibly get the residency visa after 5 years on same job? What type of visa is that residency visa? Are there any other requirements than having the same job 5 years? Actually my Korean is average; I passed TOPIK level 3. I remember there was a "point system" visa that heavily penalized people for growing older, so at 50, I could hardly qualify for that. But the 5 years one job visa, that's not the same as the "point system" visa is it?
Thanks for any help.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a really high income to get it. I heard both double the national income and triple. Call immi and then get back to us with the details.
Skippy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are looking for the F2-99 visa. If your visas have been consecutive foe 5 years with no gaps of lapses you are eligible. There are some other requirements like language and money. The F2-99 is different from the F2-9 which is the points based one.

Do search the forums a bit more. There are some good threads talking about this.

Good Luck.
schwa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll still find yourself up against the point system. F-visas are a tough nut to crack without a K-wife. Please report otherwise if you succeed.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
There are some other requirements like language and money.

I think I heard one needs 30,000,000 won in savings/assets or something like that in addition to tax statements (showing a high enough income) and TOPIK level 2.
littlelisa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is. E-1, E-2, E-3, E-4, E-5, E-7, or any combination of those with 5 years continuous employment (no gaps).

You need:

1. application form, passport, ARC, photo, fee
2. a letter (I'm guessing translate it into Korean, that's what I will do) of why you want the F2-99
3. proof of being able to support yourself financially (You need two types)
- proof of savings: bank balance, key money, jeonse receipts, etc
- proof of income: income statement, tax payment certificate, pension forms, etc
(You need 30 million saved up and a good salary -- not sure exactly on the amount for the salary, but I think the main goal is to prove you can support yourself. I just remember that mine is okay).
4. Good conduct and basic knowledge
- Local police background check (clean record, obviously)
- TOPIK level 2 or higher, or passing the Korean integration course
5. Any other documents that they decide to request

I'll be applying for mine next week. This information is right from immigration from this summer. If you have any other questions, I might know the answer, because I hope I know all the things I need now. You can also (obviously) check with immigration.
Skippy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
Skippy wrote:
There are some other requirements like language and money.

I think I heard one needs 30,000,000 won in savings/assets or something like that in addition to tax statements (showing a high enough income) and TOPIK level 2.

Yep like that stuff. Just did not have the info on hand.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlelisa wrote:
You need 30 million saved up and a good salary -- not sure exactly on the amount for the salary

You might not have enough. (I strongly suspect that will be the case.) Let us know if you pass.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The visa is there but the requirements, as have been noted, are rather vague and arbitrary. I am curious about the requirements, as I am beginning year four of my current E-7, and it would be nice to have this option as a back-up down the road if current expectations fizzle out.

From recollection, at least two posters have commented on their efforts to obtain the visa. One of them was ttompatz, who is considered quite knowledgeable on immigration affairs, and who (I believe) was unable to obtain the visa due to something arbitrary in nature. I do not recall the name of the other person who mentioned getting the residency visa in this way, but he or she was successful, and the key point I took away from the posts regarding the topic was that having someone of relative repute as a reference greatly assisted the application process.

The salary issue is a sticking point. Double GDP is already tricky for the average Joe, but triple? That would price everyone out aside from basically the corporate expats shipped over by their companies for a stint here.

Last edited by Zyzyfer on Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are three ways. Points might be possible but the other is using time. Theres also the F5A. While it is harder than before poepl have still gotten it. ttompatz was denied but that was a while ago and rules change all the time. For the five year rule you have to be physucally present in korea. So if you go home once a year for a month you cant count that time towards the five years. Im.on my phone but I have the visa info on my craptop at home. If you want it just pm.me.
littlelisa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
There are three ways. Points might be possible but the other is using time. Theres also the F5A. While it is harder than before poepl have still gotten it. ttompatz was denied but that was a while ago and rules change all the time. For the five year rule you have to be physucally present in korea. So if you go home once a year for a month you cant count that time towards the five years. Im.on my phone but I have the visa info on my craptop at home. If you want it just pm.me.

This isn't true for the F2-99. It's possible maybe it's a requirement for the F5A, but I doubt it. Both of those have 5 years continuous work as a requirement. You just have to have kept working visas continually, at least for the F2-99. You can go home for a month vacation as long as it's within your contract and not at the end of a contract before starting another one.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlelisa wrote:
naturegirl321 wrote:

This isn't true for the F2-99. It's possible maybe it's a requirement for the F5A, but I doubt it. Both of those have 5 years continuous work as a requirement. You just have to have kept working visas continually, at least for the F2-99. You can go home for a month vacation as long as it's within your contract and not at the end of a contract before starting another one.

So even if you were to change from an E2 to an E1 that would be ok if you didn't do a visa run?
littlelisa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
littlelisa wrote:
naturegirl321 wrote:

So even if you were to change from an E2 to an E1 that would be ok if you didn't do a visa run?

Yes, as long as you transferred to the E1 from the E2.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, we'll see. My friend's going next week. She lucked out in that they no longer required visa runs. Another friend lost out since he had to do a visa run.
lowpo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlelisa wrote:
Yes, it is. E-1, E-2, E-3, E-4, E-5, E-7, or any combination of those with 5 years continuous employment (no gaps).

You need:

1. application form, passport, ARC, photo, fee
2. a letter (I'm guessing translate it into Korean, that's what I will do) of why you want the F2-99
3. proof of being able to support yourself financially (You need two types)
- proof of savings: bank balance, key money, jeonse receipts, etc
- proof of income: income statement, tax payment certificate, pension forms, etc
(You need 30 million saved up and a good salary -- not sure exactly on the amount for the salary, but I think the main goal is to prove you can support yourself. I just remember that mine is okay).
4. Good conduct and basic knowledge
- Local police background check (clean record, obviously)
- TOPIK level 2 or higher, or passing the Korean integration course
5. Any other documents that they decide to request

I'll be applying for mine next week. This information is right from immigration from this summer. If you have any other questions, I might know the answer, because I hope I know all the things I need now. You can also (obviously) check with immigration.

I think that it is over 50,000,000 won a year. I remember telling my wife that they have it set up just high enough that an ESL teacher can't reach that goal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: