Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

One in four Americans 'don't know the Earth orbits the Sun'
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: One in four Americans 'don't know the Earth orbits the Sun' Reply with quote

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/one-in-four-americans-dont-know-the-earth-orbits-the-sun-and-only-half-believe-in-evolution-9131721.html
Hokie21

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And 9 out of 10 people don't really care what anyone other than an American knows or doesn't know.
caniff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another one in four think the Earth orbits around themselves.
Nester Noodlemon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One in four Brits 'don't know Uranus orbits the porcelain bowl lid.'
Deja

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evolution is just a theory. It is not proven beyond doubt. It is just a theory that makes a lot more sense than anything else does in explaining how humans came to be.

The big bang is alos just a theory. And a sitcom Smile It is far from proven, or provable even.

The Earth does not orbit the Sun, nor does the Sun orbit the Earth. You have to decide what the point of reference is, and only then can you say whether either of those is true. That's what "Everything is relative" means.
Again, the "Earth orbits the Sun" allows us to explain a lot of things, and make mathematical/physical models. But neither of the above is true/untrue by itself.

In either case, neither of those things can make a single difference with regards to a living standard for the current generation or several generations to come Wink
caniff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Well, I'll not delve into that post except to say that the Sun, the Earth and the other planets (from my understanding) have a relative gravitational pull upon each other (and that's how exo-planets are able to be detected). Judging by mass, from what I'm told, the Earth's influence on the Sun amounts to squat (to use scientific terminology).

Anyone else want to pipe in on this one? I have no dog in this fight except to defend the proposition that by all reasonable astrophysical standards the Earth revolves around the Sun.

(Dave's ESL Cafe Science Forum ) Confused
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://truefunny.com/s/39/23539-039-Murica.jpg
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deja wrote:
Evolution is just a theory. It is not proven beyond doubt. It is just a theory that makes a lot more sense than anything else does in explaining how humans came to be.

The big bang is alos just a theory. And a sitcom Smile It is far from proven, or provable even.

The Earth does not orbit the Sun, nor does the Sun orbit the Earth. You have to decide what the point of reference is, and only then can you say whether either of those is true. That's what "Everything is relative" means.
Again, the "Earth orbits the Sun" allows us to explain a lot of things, and make mathematical/physical models. But neither of the above is true/untrue by itself.

In either case, neither of those things can make a single difference with regards to a living standard for the current generation or several generations to come Wink

http://i.imgur.com/Ad4jfT4.jpg
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nester Noodlemon wrote:
One in four Brits 'don't know Uranus orbits the porcelain bowl lid.'

Wrong. It evolves around those who live on planet knowitall.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A minority of Americans are uneducated. Unfortunate, but the United States is still the wealthiest country to have ever existed. Great country. A lot of smart, ambitious, productive people living there (and some who are not, but that's everywhere).
cj1976

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this article and recognized it as a good old-fashioned piece of Yank-bashing. There is a long-standing view in the UK that we are intellectually superior to our cousins over the pond, despite the reality of our failing nation. I would be interested to see the results of the same poll conducted in the UK because we have more than our fair share of dipshits too.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't the pollsters know that people are sick and tired of filling out surveys and give out stupid answers just to annoy the boffins? Laughing
Sector7G

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deja wrote:
Possibly the greatest over-simplification of all time.

"A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on knowledge that has been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experimentation."
Scorpion

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deja wrote:

Stupidest, most ignorant thing I've read in a while. Evolution is a FACT. We may alter certain details of how evolution happened, but the fact that it did happen is beyond dispute. And saying it is "just a theory" shows that you have no idea what "theory" means in its scientific contect. It's not the same as when used in everyday talk, as in "I have a theory as to why Karen is depressed lately" or "I have a theory as to why John has put on weight." A "theory" in science is a completely different thing altogether. Please take a minute to google it and promise yourself NEVER to say that "evolution is just a theory" again. It's a fact. It happened. Accept it.

Edit: I did the search for you. It took five seconds. Confused

http://www.notjustatheory.com/
goat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
Deja wrote:

Stupidest, most ignorant thing I've read in a while. Evolution is a FACT. We may alter certain details of how evolution happened, but the fact that it did happen is beyond dispute. And saying it is "just a theory" shows that you have no idea what "theory" means in its scientific contect. It's not the same as when used in everyday talk, as in "I have a theory as to why Karen is depressed lately" or "I have a theory as to why John has put on weight." A "theory" in science is a completely different thing altogether. Please take a minute to google it and promise yourself NEVER to say that "evolution is just a theory" again. It's a fact. It happened. Accept it.

Edit: I did the search for you. It took five seconds. Confused

http://www.notjustatheory.com/

but his Pastor told him differently
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: