Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kim Yoon Ah's X Coach Scores Gold for Japan
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would Brian Boitano do?
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish Miss Kim and all the skaters the best. That said, Brian Orser was fired by the Koreans because they believe they can do as well or better without him.

We'll see how it goes.
Yaya

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Rogers wrote:
I wish Miss Kim and all the skaters the best. That said, Brian Orser was fired by the Koreans because they believe they can do as well or better without him.

We'll see how it goes.

Well, Yuna didn't get the gold (and the debate is fierce over whether she was robbed but I'm no expert on judging) but I'm not sure if Orser would've made a difference given the bizarre scoring system that was in place.

Horrible way to retire, I feel for Yuna.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
Stan Rogers wrote:

We'll see how it goes.

Well, Yuna didn't get the gold (and the debate is fierce over whether she was robbed but I'm no expert on judging) but I'm not sure if Orser would've made a difference given the bizarre scoring system that was in place.

Horrible way to retire, I feel for Yuna.

I don't think this debate will come down to how well she skated.
It is looking as though her program was the limiting factor.
Who makes that decision?
Perhaps the coaches have some influence on that.

Tough call on that.
Go with an easier program and hope those going with a tougher one will fall/fail.

Yuna is a great skater and this event does not take away from that.
If anything, it will endear her even more to those who feel she was cheated.

I watched the finals...yes, I stayed up till past 4am to watch figure skating...lol
It was worth it.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She skated masterfully. However, her program was not as daring as the Russian Girl's program. Judging in this sport can also be iffy at times but I do not think Yuna got robbed. Like Hun said, Yuna choose a less demanding program and that may have cost her in the end.

If anything I am quite impressed she got silver after not participating in ANY large skating events prior to the games. She got a silver based on her talent and grace. Her short program also sent an interesting message through her choice of music and her expression. During her final skate, she was not as engaged as the Russian was, you could tell that she was not 100% into her skating and still, she almost got the gold.

She behaved with class and grace throughout, a true olympian.

I can understand Koreans being angry because the Russian girl fell in her short program and still got pretty high marks. Still, Yuna took the result with class.
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
She skated masterfully. However, her program was not as daring as the Russian Girl's program. Judging in this sport can also be iffy at times but I do not think Yuna got robbed. Like Hun said, Yuna choose a less demanding program and that may have cost her in the end.

If anything I am quite impressed she got silver after not participating in ANY large skating events prior to the games. She got a silver based on her talent and grace. Her short program also sent an interesting message through her choice of music and her expression. During her final skate, she was not as engaged as the Russian was, you could tell that she was not 100% into her skating and still, she almost got the gold.

She behaved with class and grace throughout, a true olympian.

I can understand Koreans being angry because the Russian girl fell in her short program and still got pretty high marks. Still, Yuna took the result with class.

A very good take on the matter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: