Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Now,Canada needs US blessing to negotiate a deal with China?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
On the other hand

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BC has rejected the Enbridge pipeline.

Quote:

British Columbia has rejected the Enbridge’s Northern Gateway Pipeline proposal, which aims to build a massive pipeline from Alberta to the port of Kitimat, B.C.

The province filed its final written statement to the federal Northern Gateway Pipeline Joint Review Panel and concluded that it will not support the $6-billion proposal, as it stands, due mainly to environmental concerns.

“British Columbia thoroughly reviewed all of the evidence and submissions made to the panel and asked substantive questions about the project including its route, spill response capacity and financial structure to handle any incidents," environment minister Terry Lake said.

I'm not sure what options Enbridge has left. The federal government says they're still gonna push for the pipeline to go through.

link
sirius black

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Canada the 51st state anyway? Sorry, bad joke. Canada simply bending to the will of the new and in the near future, biggest kid on the block. Despite the rhetoric, America has been bending since the '90s at least. We've amazingly sold them or made it easy for them to steal technology that even helps them reach America with a nuke and build a stealth plane.

China is the next super power and can usurp America's claim to be the world's leading super power....at least economically. Military will follow, trust me on that.
China is acting no different than any past super power. Is not right but its the way of natioins in that position. Russia and America did it. The Brits did in their empire and the European powers did with their colonies. This is nothing new. China will continue to take advantage of its financial might for its own benefit. It owns Africa. South America is next (It has replaced America as Brazil's biggest trade partner). Europe in time as well.

America has its own self to blame. Even as we speak America is quickening its own power with infighting and no unified comprehensive approach to its varied issues.

My advice. Learn mandarin. Not kidding.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canada is it's own country of course, but also a vassal of the USA. Laughing

Last edited by young_clinton on Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And soon to become the vassal of China as well,

http://globalnews.ca/news/433029/dundurn-megamall-to-open-within-two-years/

Canada needs to become less dependent on the American economy,

but I'm not sure that China should be the next best alternative.
NohopeSeriously

Location: The Christian Right-Wing Educational Republic of Korea

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some waygug-in wrote:
Canada needs to become less dependent on the American economy,

This is very true.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadians as a whole are probably not that much different from Americans. I think they mostly want to benefit from American money and trade and have a good life. Canada also benefits from the fact that it doesn't have to have much of a military force. If Canada is militarily weak who is going to invade it? The US certainly doesn't want to and hasn't wanted to for centuries.
On the other hand

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obama playing hard-to-get on Keystone...

Quote:
Pressed by North American allies on an array of politically fraught issues, U.S. President Barack Obama on Wednesday vowed to press ahead with stalled efforts to expand trade agreements for the Americas into Asia and overhaul fractured U.S. immigration laws. But Obama made no promises about his long-anticipated decision on the Keystone XL pipeline.

While Obama acknowledged that the U.S. review of the pipeline project has been "extensive," he defended the process, saying "these are how we make these decisions about something that could potentially have significant impact on America's national economy and our national interests."

For myself, if I was betting money, I'd bet against Keystone being approved. Or at least, the decision being made so far into the future that there is currently not much point in talking about its political impact. The rumour is, a decision won't be made until Obama is out of office.

What's sometimes forgotten in this discussion is that the Keystone XL wouldn't be brining oil for sale to Americans, but for export out of the Gulf Of Mexico. So, at least as planned at the present time, it's not really invaluable to the energy security of the USA. Bascially, it'll create a few jobs in the relevant states, and have whatever economic benefit results from shipping out Canadian oil.

link
On the other hand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The Keystone XL pipeline project appears paralyzed for another year, with the U.S. administration announcing another delay in a process already beset by political and legal challenges.

The American administration shrugged off a demand from the Canadian government for an immediate decision on the controversial pipeline, so that construction could begin this summer.

link
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: