Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kim Yu-Na second place
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuros

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actionjackson wrote:
Kuros wrote:

And who determines difficulty?

I hate to be a stickler on this but there are actual handbooks the judges are supposed to follow that provide guidelines set forth by the governing body, such as those listed below. This way, a judge from France and one from Canada will both know what a contestant needs to do to reach a level 4 difficulty.
https://www.usfigureskating.org/content/IJS%20Handbook.pdf
http://www.usfsa.org/content/2013-14%20ID%20Handbook%20for%20Technical%20Panels.pdf
http://www.isu.org/en/single-and-pair-skating-and-ice-dance/isu-judging-system/single-and-pair-skating

[Bold is my addition]

Yes, and doctors are supposed to follow guidelines when they treat patients. And yet, its doctors who treat the patients. Just as its judges who set the difficulty levels.
Yaya

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But even with all the evidence we already had suggesting that the competition was rigged, now there’s even more. Take a look at some of the reasons we’re starting to buy into this conspiracy.

http://www.crushable.com/2014/02/24/entertainment/russian-figure-skating-scandal-olympics-controversy-evidence-proof/

The real issue behind the controversy over the results of the ladies event, however, concerns not how well or poorly individuals skated, but the fact that the judging of figure skating has lost all credibility.

http://www.counterpunch.org/2014/02/21/what-happened-with-the-ladies-in-sochi/
AsiaESLbound

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Kim Yuna performed a memorized routine without emotion like a new model of robot. She'll shine in 4 years at Pyeongchang if still skating then. Wait until how the Korean everything will have to be skewwed in Korea's favor for hosting the Winter Olympics. It'll probably be a much nicer facilities, infrastructure, and new high tech bling, but the entire country will be highly serious and all into it. I hope they can enjoy it and get something positive out of it.
Yaya

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AsiaESLbound wrote:
I agree Kim Yuna performed a memorized routine without emotion like a new model of robot. She'll shine in 4 years at Pyeongchang if still skating then. Wait until how the Korean everything will have to be skewwed in Korea's favor for hosting the Winter Olympics. It'll probably be a much nicer facilities, infrastructure, and new high tech bling, but the entire country will be highly serious and all into it. I hope they can enjoy it and get something positive out of it.

Very doubtful that Kim competes again. I sense that she's sick of the sport given all she's done.

I've read other reports saying Russia will get its due in Pyeongchang in 2018. Horrible how this cycle of corruption could go on.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
Horrible how this cycle of corruption could go on.

Rephrased for reality.
Horrible how this cycle of corruption goes on...and on.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I agree Kim Yuna performed a memorized routine

ALL skating routines are memorized and choreographed. The last person I can recall improvising was Surya Bonaly throwing in her illegal backflip at Nagano and despite it being a crowdpleaser, it did not help her on the judge's score card.

Quote:
without emotion like a new model of robot

From the stories I've read, some found her performance less than energetic, others found it uplifting and more artistic, but that Slotnikova had the edge in technical aspects.

I don't much care for your "rote memorization" comment and I think it betrays a sense of prejudice in your analysis.
Ginormousaurus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no doubt that each competitor practices their routines until they do it in their sleep. Absolutely no one is out their making things up as they go along.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: