Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Only 1 bag for international travel, does anyone do this?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuval

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Only 1 bag for international travel, does anyone do this? Reply with quote

So you're going to Korea and they tell you, "1 bag only, $100 for the next one. Have a nice day."

Has this happened to anyone? Essentially, what's stopping them from using a discount airline and making you pay for both bags? Why not standing room only flights?

I just wanna know if anyone else has been in this position, and if your school paid for the extra bags.

Seems to me that we need 2 bags to go live in a foreign country for a year. I dunno though, maybe I'm crazy.
Hokie21

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even major airlines now only allow 1 bag. I flew Air Canada and they make you pay for the second bag, and no, the school doesn't pay for the other. They are paying for the airfare, either pay for your extra bag or have someone mail you clothes from home or buy more clothes when you get here.

No one is forcing you to bring a second bag, you can make due with one bag and then purchase clothes in Korea (they do sell them you know, but if you're big and/or fat your choices may be limited.)
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, this happened to me when I went back home for a visit. This is also why I hate North American airline companies. I flew to the States with 2 free checked bags, but when I came back to Korea they charged me for my 2nd bag. I asked the guy why I was charged because I wasn't charged a couple of years ago and he said "Yea, that's a couple of years ago, things have changed."
Lucas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just wanna know if anyone else has been in this position, and if your school paid for the extra bags.

Seems to me that we need 2 bags to go live in a foreign country for a year. I dunno though, maybe I'm crazy.

Not crazy, just self entitled.
Kuval

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie21 wrote:
Even major airlines now only allow 1 bag. I flew Air Canada and they make you pay for the second bag, and no, the school doesn't pay for the other. They are paying for the airfare, either pay for your extra bag or have someone mail you clothes from home or buy more clothes when you get here.

No one is forcing you to bring a second bag, you can make due with one bag and then purchase clothes in Korea (they do sell them you know, but if you're big and/or fat your choices may be limited.)

I can make due with 1 bag? What planet do you live on? I'm big, tall, and fat. Korea has no clothes in my size. So, I need to bring all of my stuff. Not just summer stuff- but winter stuff. And who's going to mail me my stuff? I'm sure I could drop my clothes off at a friend's house, but why am I inconveniencing them?

Even if Korea DID have clothes in my size, that's not acceptable. You can't just tell me to buy a new wardrobe with a job. Do you have any idea how much it'd cost to mail 50-ish pounds? Somewhere near $300. So, it's a $100 baggage policy or $300 mail.

I didn't know anyone got suckered into something like this with just 1 bag.
Lucas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can make due with 1 bag? What planet do you live on? I'm big, tall, and fat.

You're lucky they don't charge you per KG of body mass, over a 'normal level' then aren't you for your ticket!
Lazio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travelling from Europe to Asia and back it’s one checked-in bag. And it’s been like that for 10-15 years at least. People still manage somehow. Stop complaining and pay for an extra bag if you need it.
Hokie21

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuval wrote:
Hokie21 wrote:

I can make due with 1 bag? What planet do you live on? I'm big, tall, and fat. Korea has no clothes in my size. So, I need to bring all of my stuff. Not just summer stuff- but winter stuff. And who's going to mail me my stuff? I'm sure I could drop my clothes off at a friend's house, but why am I inconveniencing them?

Even if Korea DID have clothes in my size, that's not acceptable. You can't just tell me to buy a new wardrobe with a job. Do you have any idea how much it'd cost to mail 50-ish pounds? Somewhere near $300. So, it's a $100 baggage policy or $300 mail.

I didn't know anyone got suckered into something like this with just 1 bag.

Boo freakin hoo. If you don't want to spend a measly $100 on a suitcase full of items which you've admitted to not being able to purchase in a country you CHOSE to accept a job in, then maybe you need to rethink your priorities.

Christ, you're an adult, take some responsibility for yourself. Your school has purchased you an airline ticket and an apartment to live in. Do they also need to fly over a chaperon to hold your hand on the flight in case of turbulence? Should they provide you with a maid to clean your apartment when it gets dirty? How about a bidet to wash your ass afterwards? Life is so unfair!

This is one of the things you put up with when you accept a job overseas. Either contact your school and ask them to agree to pay for your extra bag(who knows, maybe you'll get lucky) or deal with it and stop coming off like a self-entitled whinger.
Kuval

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be in the twilight zone. As far as I know, being a grown up is respecting a contract. Saying you're paying for my ticket and fucking me on the baggage is not a meeting of the minds thus forcing the parties to remedy. Sure, I could just pay an extra $100... but that's not being a grown up.

Since when is life all about shutting up and giving people money? I dunno, I guess it makes me "entitled" because I want what I agree to. There's an ambiguity in the contract and I wanted to see how many people were in the same boat as me so that I might either decide to tell them to pony up- or pay for it myself. I don't need the peanut gallery chiming in with every wise crack they can muster.

zzz internet trolls
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuval wrote:
zzz internet trolls

Yeah, welcome to ESLCafe lulz

What I find interesting about the one-bag policy is that now everyone is bringing crazy amounts of crap as carry-on. I recently went home for a vacay and couldn't believe how bloated it was. And hell, I was just as guilty, I was carrying way more crap as carry-on than is technically allowed.

My advice based on your comments is to pick your fights. My prediction is, you make a fuss to your job about them paying for the second bag, they eventually agree, then they hold a grudge and nitpick you over every single little thing out of spite.

That said, doesn't hurt to ask once, or even twice. Maybe they will be accommodating!
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Only 1 bag for international travel, does anyone do this Reply with quote

Kuval wrote:
So you're going to Korea and they tell you, "1 bag only, $100 for the next one. Have a nice day."

Has this happened to anyone? Essentially, what's stopping them from using a discount airline and making you pay for both bags? Why not standing room only flights?

Air Canada? Sounds like them. I think Korean air still allows two. But one only allows 50 pounds a bag and the other allows up to 70 pounds, albiet with surcharges. Maybe Air Canada? Sometimes Korean Air is more expensive, sometimes, it's not much more. Either way, the extra 100 bucks for an extra piece of luggage probably works out in the end price wise.
Hokie21

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuval wrote:
I must be in the twilight zone. As far as I know, being a grown up is respecting a contract. Saying you're paying for my ticket and fucking me on the baggage is not a meeting of the minds thus forcing the parties to remedy.

So in your contract it says, "airfare plus free extra baggage allowance?" I know when I buy a plane ticket, I am not entitled to a free upgrade which is exactly what a second checked in bag is considered, an upgrade.

As I stated previously, bring it up with your employer, ask that they cover it, they may chose to reimburse you for a second bag when you arrive, though I wouldn't hold my breath. Or you as you put it, you could be a grown up and respect your contract.
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in february i was allowed to bring 2 checked bags with me from hanoi to seoul with a total allowance of 60kg. i was pretty surprised.
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the airline and the route. KAL allows 2 bags to and from North America. One thing I like about KAL is that if you have one bag that's like 60 lbs and the other is 40 lbs, they don't force you to take stuff out of your bags to make them 50 50. Sometimes they will let you go a little bit overweight too.

With any airline check the limits beforehand. They vary.
coryallan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I flew Air Canada in December of 2012, they allowed 2 checked bags of luggage but the connecting flight did not. I flew from Toronto to Japan, Japan to Busan and was told I had to pay for my second bag.

Try and choose your own flights and check with the airlines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: