Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Only 1 bag for international travel, does anyone do this?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thegadfly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I flew back to Korea on Delta from Detroit to Incheon in mid-February, and I was allowed two checked bags without additional fees, with a 50 pound weight allowance each. Honestly, I am not sure if that is standard, or because I have a buttload of miles with them, but I didn't use any miles for upgrades or anything....

Maybe shop around airlines?
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thegadfly wrote:
I flew back to Korea on Delta from Detroit to Incheon in mid-February, and I was allowed two checked bags without additional fees, with a 50 pound weight allowance each. Honestly, I am not sure if that is standard, or because I have a buttload of miles with them, but I didn't use any miles for upgrades or anything....

Delta partners with KAL. Same rules. Sometimes Delta passangers wind up flying on a KAL plane.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuval wrote:
I must be in the twilight zone. As far as I know, being a grown up is respecting a contract. Saying you're paying for my ticket and fucking me on the baggage is not a meeting of the minds thus forcing the parties to remedy. Sure, I could just pay an extra $100... but that's not being a grown up.

Since when is life all about shutting up and giving people money? I dunno, I guess it makes me "entitled" because I want what I agree to. There's an ambiguity in the contract and I wanted to see how many people were in the same boat as me so that I might either decide to tell them to pony up- or pay for it myself. I don't need the peanut gallery chiming in with every wise crack they can muster.

zzz internet trolls

So should the school pay for a business class ticket? How about first class on Emirates? Since you aren't entitled to a business class ticket in your contract, you aren't entitled to free extra baggage in your contract.

In fact, save yourself the time, money, and headache, and stay home. If you're already flipping out like this over this issue, Korea is going to give you a stroke.
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Kuval wrote:
I must be in the twilight zone. As far as I know, being a grown up is respecting a contract. Saying you're paying for my ticket and fucking me on the baggage is not a meeting of the minds thus forcing the parties to remedy. Sure, I could just pay an extra $100... but that's not being a grown up.

Since when is life all about shutting up and giving people money? I dunno, I guess it makes me "entitled" because I want what I agree to. There's an ambiguity in the contract and I wanted to see how many people were in the same boat as me so that I might either decide to tell them to pony up- or pay for it myself. I don't need the peanut gallery chiming in with every wise crack they can muster.

zzz internet trolls

So should the school pay for a business class ticket? How about first class on Emirates? Since you aren't entitled to a business class ticket in your contract, you aren't entitled to free extra baggage in your contract.

In fact, save yourself the time, money, and headache, and stay home. If you're already flipping out like this over this issue, Korea is going to give you a stroke.

LOL Laughing
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe how cheap some people are.

Airlines have been milking people BAD ever since the 2006ish fuel crisis when prices went nuts.

$100 for more baggage that affects the MINORITY of travelers was long over due to those who abused the crap out of it.

Want to complain? Complain about the massive "Fuel Surcharges" that airlines are allowed to get away with.

Stop being so cheap. That rate is way cheaper than shipping your stuff over!
Old Painless

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
Kuval wrote:
zzz internet trolls

My advice based on your comments is to pick your fights. My prediction is, you make a fuss to your job about them paying for the second bag, they eventually agree, then they hold a grudge and nitpick you over every single little thing out of spite.

That said, doesn't hurt to ask once, or even twice. Maybe they will be accommodating!

Listen to him.
Kuval

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Painless wrote:
Zyzyfer wrote:
Kuval wrote:
zzz internet trolls

My advice based on your comments is to pick your fights. My prediction is, you make a fuss to your job about them paying for the second bag, they eventually agree, then they hold a grudge and nitpick you over every single little thing out of spite.

That said, doesn't hurt to ask once, or even twice. Maybe they will be accommodating!

Listen to him.

Yea, I never thought about telling them to let me pick my own flight. That was a great idea. Unfortunately they've booked the ticket which means non-refundable.

As for the rest of you scraggamuffins... why would I want to travel business class? The ambiguity is in the cost of the ticket. Is baggage-needed factored in to the cost of the ticket? If not, then they would be legally in their realm to pick a discount airline- making you pay for both bags. No, the contract doesn't say anything about the baggage- that's where the clarity breaks down. That's why there's no meeting of the minds.

The school is unwilling to flinch on this one and they made sure to tell my recruiter that they are "unhappy." I dunno, I could just leave them with a steaming pile of nothingness and find a different job... it wouldn't be hard. But it's not about that. It's about doing what I think is right. I know Korean business people and they don't like to give their employees an inch. I remember having to fight for my health care coverage (legally mandated), and having to refuse to sign fake release letters (probably so they pay less taxes, also illegal). I figured it's most fair if both sides pay half. It's an unexpected cost, and they obviously didn't know or think about it.

So what's going to happen is I'm going to have to suck it up and pay for it... unfortunately. It's not a huge cost, but it's an annoyance. They also opted for a single entry visa, so I'm going to have to pay to get that changed (can I even do that? I guess I'll find out). It's another inconvenience, and I haven't even got there yet. It's not like it's my "right" to get a multiple entry visa, but it's something I told them about. It's also not 'in the contract.' I doubt my recruiter even mentioned it- so I'm not really blaming them.

I've had limited contact with the school because that's the way they like to do things. When you can hash out your own arrangements you can either piss off the school or just exempt the recruiter from a big chunk of the discussion... and they love to have their finger on the pulse.

Thanks for everyone's good input. Some great ideas and good feedback in here... exactly what I was hoping for. It didn't start out so good but it definitely ended great.

Thanks.
schwa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuval wrote:
... They also opted for a single entry visa, so I'm going to have to pay to get that changed (can I even do that? I guess I'll find out)...

All teaching visas are multi-entry now. No extra charge. You just show a valid alien registration card at the airport on your way out & back in.
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thegadfly wrote:

I guess I paid more since my flight was from Atlanta to Detroit and then to Incheon. They probably charged me for the extra bag because the first flight was domestic. I flew Delta as well last September.
atwood

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a big duffle bag that will carry all your stuff. L.L Bean sells really good ones.
Yaya

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thegadfly wrote:

I've flown Delta to and from the U.S. but the second checked bag IS extra.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Only 1 bag for international travel, does anyone do this Reply with quote

Kuval wrote:
Seems to me that we need 2 bags to go live in a foreign country for a year. I dunno though, maybe I'm crazy.

Maybe....

The rest of the planet gets 1 bag and 20kgs for their (free) baggage allowance if and when they get free baggage...

and you're complaining at 1 bag of 23kgs for free and $100 for the 2nd one?

Old Painless

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuval wrote:
Old Painless wrote:
Zyzyfer wrote:
Kuval wrote:
zzz internet trolls

My advice based on your comments is to pick your fights.

[/
b] My prediction is, you make a fuss to your job about them paying for the second bag, they eventually agree, then they hold a grudge and nitpick you over every single little thing out of spite.

Listen to him.

Yea, I never thought about telling them to let me [b]pick my own flight.
That was a great idea. Unfortunately they've booked the ticket which means non-refundable.

As for the rest of you scraggamuffins... why would I want to travel business class? The ambiguity is in the cost of the ticket. Is baggage-needed factored in to the cost of the ticket? If not, then they would be legally in their realm to pick a discount airline- making you pay for both bags. No, the contract doesn't say anything about the baggage- that's where the clarity breaks down. That's why there's no meeting of the minds.

The school is unwilling to flinch on this one and they made sure to tell my recruiter that they are "unhappy." I dunno, I could just leave them with a steaming pile of nothingness and find a different job... it wouldn't be hard. But it's not about that. It's about doing what I think is right. I know Korean business people and they don't like to give their employees an inch. I remember having to fight for my health care coverage (legally mandated), and having to refuse to sign fake release letters (probably so they pay less taxes, also illegal). I figured it's most fair if both sides pay half. It's an unexpected cost, and they obviously didn't know or think about it.

So what's going to happen is I'm going to have to suck it up and pay for it... unfortunately. It's not a huge cost, but it's an annoyance. They also opted for a single entry visa, so I'm going to have to pay to get that changed (can I even do that? I guess I'll find out). It's another inconvenience, and I haven't even got there yet. It's not like it's my "right" to get a multiple entry visa, but it's something I told them about. It's also not 'in the contract.' I doubt my recruiter even mentioned it- so I'm not really blaming them.

I've had limited contact with the school because that's the way they like to do things. When you can hash out your own arrangements you can either piss off the school or just exempt the recruiter from a big chunk of the discussion... and they love to have their finger on the pulse.

Thanks for everyone's good input. Some great ideas and good feedback in here... exactly what I was hoping for. It didn't start out so good but it definitely ended great.

Thanks.

I can tell already that you're going to knock em dead cowboy!

Razz
Kuval

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Old Painless"][quote="Kuval"]
Old Painless wrote:
Zyzyfer wrote:
Kuval wrote:
zzz internet trolls

I can tell already that you're going to knock em dead cowboy!

Razz

Was actually in response to...

"Maybe shop around airlines?"

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPS.
Aine1979

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better to have a school which will pre-pay your flight and shell out for an extra bag, than run the risk of paying for your own flight and not being reimbursed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: