Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Only 1 bag for international travel, does anyone do this?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is to nitpick. Not only on that but everything else. It's the Korean way.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuval wrote:
Old Painless wrote:
Zyzyfer wrote:
Kuval wrote:
zzz internet trolls

My advice based on your comments is to pick your fights. My prediction is, you make a fuss to your job about them paying for the second bag, they eventually agree, then they hold a grudge and nitpick you over every single little thing out of spite.

That said, doesn't hurt to ask once, or even twice. Maybe they will be accommodating!

Listen to him.

Yea, I never thought about telling them to let me pick my own flight. That was a great idea. Unfortunately they've booked the ticket which means non-refundable.

As for the rest of you scraggamuffins... why would I want to travel business class? The ambiguity is in the cost of the ticket. Is baggage-needed factored in to the cost of the ticket? If not, then they would be legally in their realm to pick a discount airline- making you pay for both bags. No, the contract doesn't say anything about the baggage- that's where the clarity breaks down. That's why there's no meeting of the minds.

The school is unwilling to flinch on this one and they made sure to tell my recruiter that they are "unhappy." I dunno, I could just leave them with a steaming pile of nothingness and find a different job... it wouldn't be hard. But it's not about that. It's about doing what I think is right. I know Korean business people and they don't like to give their employees an inch. I remember having to fight for my health care coverage (legally mandated), and having to refuse to sign fake release letters (probably so they pay less taxes, also illegal). I figured it's most fair if both sides pay half. It's an unexpected cost, and they obviously didn't know or think about it.

So what's going to happen is I'm going to have to suck it up and pay for it... unfortunately. It's not a huge cost, but it's an annoyance. They also opted for a single entry visa, so I'm going to have to pay to get that changed (can I even do that? I guess I'll find out). It's another inconvenience, and I haven't even got there yet. It's not like it's my "right" to get a multiple entry visa, but it's something I told them about. It's also not 'in the contract.' I doubt my recruiter even mentioned it- so I'm not really blaming them.

I've had limited contact with the school because that's the way they like to do things. When you can hash out your own arrangements you can either piss off the school or just exempt the recruiter from a big chunk of the discussion... and they love to have their finger on the pulse.

Thanks for everyone's good input. Some great ideas and good feedback in here... exactly what I was hoping for. It didn't start out so good but it definitely ended great.

Thanks.

At any point in all of this did the possibility that you are wrong ever enter your head? And if so, what wasyour rationale for dismissing it? Also, did it ever occur to you that if 100 dollars is putting you in a seriously difficult financial position and causing conflicts with your employer before your job has started, that moving overseas might not be a good idea?
Numpty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Only 1 bag for international travel, does anyone do this Reply with quote

Kuval wrote:
So you're going to Korea and they tell you, "1 bag only, $100 for the next one. Have a nice day."

Has this happened to anyone? Essentially, what's stopping them from using a discount airline and making you pay for both bags? Why not standing room only flights?

I just wanna know if anyone else has been in this position, and if your school paid for the extra bags.

Seems to me that we need 2 bags to go live in a foreign country for a year. I dunno though, maybe I'm crazy.

You must be from America. Welcome to the real world.
Kuval

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Kuval wrote:
Old Painless wrote:
Zyzyfer wrote:
Kuval wrote:
zzz internet trolls

My advice based on your comments is to pick your fights. My prediction is, you make a fuss to your job about them paying for the second bag, they eventually agree, then they hold a grudge and nitpick you over every single little thing out of spite.

That said, doesn't hurt to ask once, or even twice. Maybe they will be accommodating!

Listen to him.

Yea, I never thought about telling them to let me pick my own flight. That was a great idea. Unfortunately they've booked the ticket which means non-refundable.

As for the rest of you scraggamuffins... why would I want to travel business class? The ambiguity is in the cost of the ticket. Is baggage-needed factored in to the cost of the ticket? If not, then they would be legally in their realm to pick a discount airline- making you pay for both bags. No, the contract doesn't say anything about the baggage- that's where the clarity breaks down. That's why there's no meeting of the minds.

The school is unwilling to flinch on this one and they made sure to tell my recruiter that they are "unhappy." I dunno, I could just leave them with a steaming pile of nothingness and find a different job... it wouldn't be hard. But it's not about that. It's about doing what I think is right. I know Korean business people and they don't like to give their employees an inch. I remember having to fight for my health care coverage (legally mandated), and having to refuse to sign fake release letters (probably so they pay less taxes, also illegal). I figured it's most fair if both sides pay half. It's an unexpected cost, and they obviously didn't know or think about it.

So what's going to happen is I'm going to have to suck it up and pay for it... unfortunately. It's not a huge cost, but it's an annoyance. They also opted for a single entry visa, so I'm going to have to pay to get that changed (can I even do that? I guess I'll find out). It's another inconvenience, and I haven't even got there yet. It's not like it's my "right" to get a multiple entry visa, but it's something I told them about. It's also not 'in the contract.' I doubt my recruiter even mentioned it- so I'm not really blaming them.

I've had limited contact with the school because that's the way they like to do things. When you can hash out your own arrangements you can either piss off the school or just exempt the recruiter from a big chunk of the discussion... and they love to have their finger on the pulse.

Thanks for everyone's good input. Some great ideas and good feedback in here... exactly what I was hoping for. It didn't start out so good but it definitely ended great.

Thanks.

At any point in all of this did the possibility that you are wrong ever enter your head? And if so, what wasyour rationale for dismissing it? Also, did it ever occur to you that if 100 dollars is putting you in a seriously difficult financial position and causing conflicts with your employer before your job has started, that moving overseas might not be a good idea?

That's the whole point of this post. The only reason I made it was to find out if I was right or wrong- as stated previously. Why would I dismiss it before I made my judgment? I don't think this is so clear-cut as to be a right or wrong situation. I'm responsible with my money, so what's it matter to you if the $100 is a serious financial commitment for me? If you have excess money, or wouldn't mind losing $100, please... send it to me and put me to ease. We all know you don't, and just because you're too meek to fight for what you're owed doesn't mean I'm wrong for doing so.

At no point in my life (even if I somehow have millions of dollars) will I ever be comfortable with the idea of losing $100 unexpectedly. That being said, when I think the expense is justified- I will pay it.

I've come to the conclusion already (previously in the post, thanks for reading) that I'm going to have to pay the difference.

Now here's the enlightening question... why would you enter a post where someone could be looking for help and guidance- and offer only criticism and smugness? Why would you try to upset someone else for no reason other than they might be getting a better slice than you did. Why would you write a response, ignorant of the previous posts? Why would you naively come in here pretending to be the position of moral authority, attempting to instill your virtues on someone obviously not interested in them? I doubt you'll have satisfactory answers.

I am not from America, but I don't think it really matters where I'm from. Nor do I think that all Americans are anywhere near as "frugal" as I am. I don't think all of anyone is the same as me, and that's part of what makes us brilliant as humans.

Again though, why the flames, why are they allowed... why do the mods consistently fall asleep at the wheel on these forums? I'd say 70% of the feedback in here is awesome. Even some of the criticism is well deserved. But 30% of you are the reason why many people come here for a few minutes and decide they were better off on the outside.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I routinely travel with one bag and a carry on plus my computer. So I'm sort of puzzled as to what the problem is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: