Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are You Married? Why Aren't You Married? Etc.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oatmeal wrote:
i just tell them i have a wife and kids back home and then they leave me alone.

Outstanding, red team, outstanding. Get you a case of beer for that.
Mix1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
cdninkorea wrote:
They do it to each other, too

They're trying to score points.

Announcing to everyone in a loud voice that so-and-so isn't married is akin to telling everyone you have aids or boils all over your face. They're emphasizing their higher status while reducing your social value.

Koreans by and large get their self-validation from how much they fulfil social expectation.

Spot on. It's part of the constant one-upmanship that is so prevalent here.

Then, if they can determine (or believe in their own mind) that they are of higher status, then they can lecture you on random obvious stuff about life, while you are supposed to listen and act interested. "Study hard and go to a good university; and be rich!" "Really? Thanks! I'd have never figured that out on my own!"

You see it all the time at restaurants when a senior guy is with a group of girls or younger people; it's not a conversation, it's just him rambling and basically trying to give them a bunch of orders/advice, and them nodding.

My last "Why aren't you married?" conversation with an older Korean man basically went like this:
"You should marry Korean woman! Korean woman most beautiful in the world! I went to L.A.: American woman... very fat. Mexican woman... so ugly!"

So I told him my mom was Mexican, and that pretty much ended that conversation.
Gladiator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Married Reply with quote

I would add that in Korea, you are not considered a 'mature' adult until you are married. No matter how old you are, if you haven't tied the knot you are effectively a 'child' to the Hankooksaramdoorun. Also, the freaky Korean age factor enters the equation when a younger married person meets an unmarried 'senior' person-theoretically lower in status--and still has to address him/her in cheondaemal or whatever.

I think I also read somewhere in Paul Crane's superb (1978) book Korean Patterns that marriage is deeply entrenched in both Korea's agricultural and shamanistic heritage (procreation and production of first sons to look after family) and that the 'souls' of unmarried people--in Korean thinking--mystically and miserably lurk in a kind of quasi-religious 'limbo' when they die. Yikes!

I lived in Korea for seven years and alas Ms Right never showed up in my classes/Starbucks/Insadong/Itaewon on Saturdays to make my K experience that little bit more significant. It was my 'inyon' or fate I guess. In view of this, the 'kyolhon' question got extremely stale and irritating after the seventh year and the predictable, routine scripts of soju-breath Korean men with three hundred word English vocabularies demanding to know why I didn't have a Korean girlfriend started to sound like the townsfolk greeting Bill Murray day after day in Groundhog Day.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jongno2bucheon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Married Reply with quote

Gladiator wrote:
routine scripts of soju-breath Korean men with three hundred word English vocabularies demanding to know why I didn't have a Korean girlfriend started to sound like the townsfolk greeting Bill Murray day after day in Groundhog Day.

This is actually a reason why many singles goes overseas during lunar new years and thanksgiving. They dread getting those questions from their relatives. Yeah, imagine getting that question all day for several days. Not just during dinner. Kkk

Also considering that korean kids live at home until married, they really dont mature until they get married and live independently for the first time in their lives. Unlike the west where you usually move out for college.
joelove

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A stranger might ask you how much money you make. You could try saying, "You tell me how much money you make, then I'll tell you how much I make." Oddly enough the stranger might then consider you rude. Or if you answer the question honestly because you don't mind telling a stranger this, and supposing your income is not as high as the stranger believed, he might think you lied.

A stranger might be having some beer in a bar, and being friendly, is happy to drink with you. Things are going fine, there's joking and the beer is good as usual. He might ask you your age, and might even go right down to your date of birth. If it occurred before his, he might act a little differently towards you, a little deferential even, taking care to see your glass isn't empty for long, with a two-handed pour from the jug, or whatever, even if you come from a different land and don't look at all like a local.

A stranger could come along out of nowhere and say something like, "I think foreigners are selfish," or "I think foreigners are strange," and then carry on with his day. You carry on with yours too, perhaps wondering why the stranger felt a need to say that to you.
joelove

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radcon wrote:
When they ask me "why aren't you married?" I just throw right back at them "why ARE you married?" It usually throws them for a loop.

Funny. I'd like to hear an answer to that "Why are you married" question, go like this: "Pressure from family and society to fit into certain roles and expectations by certain ages, and to conform to the well-established pattern."
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joelove wrote:

A stranger could come along out of nowhere and say something like, "I think foreigners are selfish," or "I think foreigners are strange," and then carry on with his day. You carry on with yours too, perhaps wondering why the stranger felt a need to say that to you.

Yes. This.

Random Korean: (as he passes me on the street) "Hello foreigner."

TheUrbanMyth: "Hello Korean."
DosEquisXX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never really took these comments as offensive. Granted, I was 24 when teaching there so some people didn't necessarily believe that I absolutely had to be married by then. A lot of it was just curiosity to me. After a while, I just started being honest.

Korean: Why aren't you married?
Me: Because I don't want to spend my life being a slave to my wife while supporting not only my family, but my parents and her parents by working 50 hours a week. I am able to do things that I couldn't do if I was married with a child. Like living overseas.
Korean: ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: