Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

teaching at a second kindergarten hagwon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
howie2424

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: teaching at a second kindergarten hagwon Reply with quote

There's a sticky post up top that helps me somewhat but I have a question about working at a second hagwon. Last month my director asked if I would be interested in working at a second hagwon twice a week. It's morning work and my contract precludes it so it means OT for me, as a result I'm interested. I posted a message here about how to go about doing it and got some good information about the procedure which I relayed to my director asking her to call immigration and confirm it.

She has now told me that she made such a call and was told by immigration that because the second hagwon is a kindergarten school (i.e. they only teach kindergarten and english is only one of the subjects they teach) it is not possible. She says she was told that english instruction at a strictly kindergarten hagwon is illegal and that even her work there, as a native Korean, is illegal.

I am finding this incredibly difficult to believe. I have been scouring the Korean immigration statutes for an answer on this but no luck. Does anyone have any information about this or, alternatively, is there an immigration number one can call where they speak english? I've declined to go there thus far but if it's legally possible I'd like to do it, my mornings are a total bore. Thanks for any help.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't give you specific information per se, but my friend is doing just what you mentioned.

Working in two places in a bit of a no-no, but if the immigration person said no, best advice is not to do it.
tomato

Location: I get so little foreign language experience, I must be in Koreatown, Los Angeles.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Howie!

I don't know whether it's legal or not,
but I've been doing that for over a year and nobody has said boo.
howie2424

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx guys. It appears from the sticky post above that working in two places is legal if you have the "Permission for Alteration or Addition of Employment Place" stamp from immigration. I got similar advice earlier on this issue from someone else. The issue I suppose is whether you can get such an extension of your E-2 if the second location is a kindi school as opposed to a uni or regular hagwon. I guess that's my real question, Has anyone heard of it being illegal to teach English at a kindi hagwon? Since so many kindis offer this sort of instruction I find it rather hard to believe it is illegal. Thanx again to anyone who might help.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but I have suspicions that schools don't want to go through the hassles of making it legal.

These deals are usually between two schools. One school does not have enough hours for you, so they "rent you out" like a slave in a flesh market.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: