Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Star Trek or Star Wars?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Star Trek or Star Wars?
Star Trek
52%
 52%  [ 12 ]
Star Wars
17%
 17%  [ 4 ]
Firefly
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Dr. Who
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Stargate
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Battlestar Galactica
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Other
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 23

caniff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk was a trisexual.
Stain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody has brought up the movie 2001. It had a lot of the elements that Star Wars and Star Trek had. Sure, I was a little disappointed with the lack of laser guns or light sabers or talking, but I must say that the computer villain was good drama. I think its major distinguishing factor, though, was the use of monkeys.
mithridates

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Episodes 1 to 3 are great when given a bit of editing. Maybe not quite this much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLACxMXBRhM

but enough to remove the disagreeable parts.

Venerating the first three episodes too much is equally silly. Darth Vader's torture bot, "laser brain", "aw I wanted to go play with energy converters" and all the rest would be just as lampooned as the bad parts of Episodes 1 to 3 if they were released today.
Kuros

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mithridates wrote:

Venerating the first three episodes too much is equally silly. Darth Vader's torture bot, "laser brain", "aw I wanted to go play with energy converters" and all the rest would be just as lampooned as the bad parts of Episodes 1 to 3 if they were released today.

I saw the original Star Wars many times as a child. And then there was a ten year gap, and I saw them again on the digitally re-mastered re-release. I remember being struck at how the dialogue was so terrible. Parts One and Three are horribly hokey at parts.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stain wrote:
Nobody has brought up the movie 2001. It had a lot of the elements that Star Wars and Star Trek had. Sure, I was a little disappointed with the lack of laser guns or light sabers or talking, but I must say that the computer villain was good drama. I think its major distinguishing factor, though, was the use of monkeys.

2001 was possibly the greatest sci-fi movie ever. Perhaps the most impressive part is how well the special effects have held up.

I'm not sure it really belongs in the same category as Star Trek, Star Wars, Babylon 5 (sorry, Fox), Battlestar, etc.
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was Star Wars all the way for much of my life, but starting leaning heavily towards Star Trek later on. Especially after the prequels came out. Though now, I really don't know anymore since Abrams has returned Trek to its dumb, campy roots after it spent the nineties and early 00s becoming smart sci-fi. I hate them both now.

The new Battlestar Galactica started out great, showed lots of promise, then got bogged down as it became clearer and clearer that the writers really didn't know what to do with the show anymore and it became a lame character drama. Who's a Cylon? I don't care anymore...

Sorry Fox, Babylon 5 ranks up there in the shittiest sci-fi shows ever. A boring, badly written Star Trek wannabe. I never understood the following the show had garnered.

Firefly was pretty good, though I thought the movie tried to do a bit too much. I guess that was inevitable since it died so young and Whedon just dumped all his ideas into one last gasp. It's a shame the series never got the time to develop.

My current science fiction of choice is probably Peter F. Hamilton's work. He writes insanely epic, high concept space operas. Thousand-plus page, non-stop action packed doorstops so big they had to split a couple of them up because paperback binding couldn't contain the awesome! I'd advise anyone who likes science fiction read his "Night's Dawn" and/or "Void" trilogies.
Fox

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underwaterbob wrote:
Sorry Fox, Babylon 5 ranks up there in the shittiest sci-fi shows ever. A boring, badly written Star Trek wannabe. I never understood the following the show had garnered.

I don't think it wanted to be Star Trek. Quite the opposite, the best Star Trek series (Deep Space 9) to some extent seemed to want to be Babylon 5. Overall Babylon 5 felt much closer to a real universe to me than Star Trek ever did, and both it's aliens and its technology were far better handled.
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of midi-chlorians revealed in the new Episode 1 destroyed a lot of the premise of "THe Force" in Star Wars.

In the originally trilogy it was a belief, trained with Yoda, nearly corrupted by the Dark Side. In the second trilogy it was a genetic fact.

So instead of a child thinking "I can do it if I believe" it's "I could do it if I had midi-chlorians" - that sucks.
Squire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's Your Daddy? wrote:
The idea of midi-chlorians revealed in the new Episode 1 destroyed a lot of the premise of "THe Force" in Star Wars.

In the originally trilogy it was a belief, trained with Yoda, nearly corrupted by the Dark Side. In the second trilogy it was a genetic fact.

So instead of a child thinking "I can do it if I believe" it's "I could do it if I had midi-chlorians" - that sucks.

Yea I don't like that much either when I think of it, but I can easily separate the original trilogy and prequels in my mind to the point where anything that happened in episodes 1, 2 and 3 has no impact on my enjoyment of 4, 5 and 6.

What I'd really love from SW would be an unashamedly dark, 18 rated, scary film with no intention of ever being seen by children. It could still focus on the typical SW themes but special effects would be far more understated. It would never happen of course, but episodes 5 and 3 provide an interesting insight into what the series could have been if it were never intended for kids.
le-paul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squire wrote:
Who's Your Daddy? wrote:

Yea I don't like that much either when I think of it, but I can easily separate the original trilogy and prequels in my mind to the point where anything that happened in episodes 1, 2 and 3 has no impact on my enjoyment of 4, 5 and 6.

What I'd really love from SW would be an unashamedly dark, 18 rated, scary film with no intention of ever being seen by children. It could still focus on the typical SW themes but special effects would be far more understated. It would never happen of course, but episodes 5 and 3 provide an interesting insight into what the series could have been if it were never intended for kids.

I think lucas was sort of hinting at that with the tall, heavy breathing man in the S and M costume, that liked choking people for kicks (and often very trivial things). If you watch star wars carefully, you can see that there is a running theme - a very dark element to it throughout.
Here are a few examples,

Chewbacca for example, has his hair caught in his bandoleer and though he constantly screams for help, no one answers him...
Leia and Lukes kiss...
C3PO is obviously gay and in love with R2D2...
The scene in Jabbas palace where the robots are being tortured - someone obviously thought to put pain sensors in that poor, ammo droids feet...
The emperor actively encouraging darth vader to 'feel' luke...

The list goes on.

I think Lucas would have liked to have done what you suggested, but sold out so that a younger audience could view the movie, and he could make more money.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted other: I was into Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy and Space 1999. These days I'm more into Twilight Zone. Cool
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Underwaterbob wrote:

I don't think it wanted to be Star Trek. Quite the opposite, the best Star Trek series (Deep Space 9) to some extent seemed to want to be Babylon 5. Overall Babylon 5 felt much closer to a real universe to me than Star Trek ever did, and both it's aliens and its technology were far better handled.

I will give you all of that, but the acting man, the acting!!
mithridates

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of discussion on midi-chlorians. I think the general consensus after a lot of debate is that it's a bit like a person's original mental potential, and after that what they make of it is their (or their environment's) choice. Take this guy for example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Langan

Officially the smartest man in the US and nobody really knows about him besides the odd appearance in documentaries about geniuses. In Star Wars too the Jedi didn't want to train Anakin at first in spite of his high midi-chlorian count, so midi-chlorians alone don't negate the need for training. Sometimes having too much potential can be a bad thing too.
Moldy Rutabaga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to say one is better, because we're discussing the color plaid-- Star Trek and Star Wars aren't uniform and have better and worse series / parts.

Being a fogey, I tend to like the older Trek, which was sexier and sillier and wasn't as PC preachy as Next Gen, though the series got better. I might be the only one who liked Voyager and found Janeway funny. I think it's an easy sell to say that the older Star Wars movies were better and felt more natural and real.
geldedgoat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farscape and Lexx... and you listed neither. Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: