Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HOW TO COLLECT PENSION AT AIRPORT & RETURN NEXT DAY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CPT

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to give this a try.

Any minimum amount of time between going to the NPS office and collecting at the airport? Could you go to the NPS office Monday if you're leaving, say, Wednesday?

Also, this might be a stupid question, but is there anything stopping you from buying the one way ticket back to Korea immediately? As in at the same time as your one way ticket out? I don't know how these things work, but can they check to see if you have another reservation?
CPT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another (possibly dumb) question...you can just get your money in KRW, right? Does it have to be a foreign currency to keep up the idea that you're leaving the country?
beentheredonethat777

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

][quote="CPT"]Another (possibly dumb) question...you can just get your money in KRW, right? Does it have to be a foreign currency to keep up the idea that you're leaving the country?[/quote][/b]

The only dumb question is the one not asked.

YES, you can receive your refund in KRW.
No, it doesn't have to be in a foreign currency. Unless we're talking hundreds of thousands of US dollars, I seriously doubt anyone will be suspicious. That was a very good question, by the way. You are thinking two steps ahead.

NOTE:
You should get all of this sorted out at your local pension office when you go there to apply for your refund. The form will ask you which currency you would like to receive it at the airport and they will tell you the exact amount you will be receiving. Just check the box that says Korean won.

Have you filed for your refund yet at your local pension office?
This is required, if you are planning to pick up the cash at the airport.
Make sure you follow the step by step plan I posted and you should be fine. Many people have followed these steps successfully.

Don't over think this process, its not as complicated as it seems.
GO as soon as you have ALL of the information required to file for your pension refund.

When is your contract finished? Is this public or private school. If it's private, there may not even be pension to collect. Please check NOW!
beentheredonethat777

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CPT wrote:
Going to give this a try.

Any minimum amount of time between going to the NPS office and collecting at the airport? Could you go to the NPS office Monday if you're leaving, say, Wednesday?

Also, this might be a stupid question, but is there anything stopping you from buying the one way ticket back to Korea immediately? As in at the same time as your one way ticket out? I don't know how these things work, but can they check to see if you have another reservation?

Its not that serious. NO, they don't check to see if you have another reservation. Once again, KEYWORDS:One way ticket out of Korea. This is required by the pension office. They are very busy people.

They like to have three days to work with but when you go to the pension office say you're leaving Korea and really need to pick up your money at the airport. They process it immediately and give you some papers to take to airport and a map with directions. If you plan to go on a Monday, be the first one in line.

I've collected pensions several times and returned shortly thereafter with no problems, whatsoever.

If you need more help, please let me know.
I'll try to check in more regularly. This is my busy season so I don't have to check this site as often.
Read over the checklist info I provided in my original post and all of the comments by others. I hope this helps CPT.
smjstevens

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very useful information, thank you for this post! Looks like I'll be getting an extra bonus before starting my next contract! Very Happy
CPT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers.

Apparently the flight has to be between 11:00-24:00 (don't know how those late ones would work), and my flight is at 10:25. Oops.

http://english.nps.or.kr/jsppage/english/scheme/scheme_04.jsp

I'll have to see if there's any wiggle room there, but it's something people might want to know if they are going to do this. All of the office hours are 9-5, 9-6, but I guess the flight has to be 11 or later to give you enough time? I don't know.
CPT

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any reason you can't do this on a D-10?

And I take it there's no issue restarting pension payments on the same ARC number?
beentheredonethat777

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
CPT wrote:
Is there any reason you can't do this on a D-10?

YES, there is a reason you can't do this on a D-10.

Collecting pension= finished working in Korea
D10=looking for work in Korea.

Can you see the conflict ,CPT?

Get the pension first, then get the D10, if you have time left on your ARC when returning from your trip out of Korea.

And I take it there's no issue restarting pension payments on the same ARC number?

I 've personally never had an issue. I've collected several times and will collect again in a couple of months before starting my new contract.

No else has mentioned having a problem either.
CPT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, but just like you apply while you're on your E2 before leaving the country, could you not do the same on a D-10?

You tell the pension office "I'm done looking for work, I'm leaving" and you tell immigration...nothing. I suppose going through with applying for the D-10 doesn't help your case when trying to convince them you're leaving, but does it really matter?

I know people who have gotten their pension the long way while on a D-10, just wondering if it would work for the airport collection as well.
beentheredonethat777

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CPT wrote:
Right, but just like you apply while you're on your E2 before leaving the country, could you not do the same on a D-10?

You tell the pension office "I'm done looking for work, I'm leaving" and you tell immigration...nothing. I suppose going through with applying for the D-10 doesn't help your case when trying to convince them you're leaving, but does it really matter?

I know people who have gotten their pension the long way while on a D-10, just wondering if it would work for the airport collection as well.
Quote:

If you know people who have already done what you want to do, then go for it! I just don't know of anyone. That information is really good to know. Thanks! It won't hurt to try. That actually sounds like a really good idea. I may try that myself later on if need be.
beentheredonethat777

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
[/quote]

Hi, Could you give us an update? Did you get your pension while on a D-10 visa?
CPT

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't tried yet, but when I do, I'll report back either way.
jcd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious if you got your pension on a D10.

Im thinking about applying for my pension one month before my contract is up.
Then applying for a D10 right after my contract is up.
Then flying out somewhere , withing 10 days after I finish, for a short trip, so that I can use my flight allowance and take a break.
Then come back to Korea and collect my D10.

If I give the immigration my arc and get an alien registry certificate, could I use that at the airport to collect my pension.

I have heard that you have to hand in your arc at the airport to collect pension?
What if I have a piece of paper in lieu of my arc?
beentheredonethat777

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that you have to hand in your arc at the airport to collect pension?

You don't have to hand in your ARC at the airport to collect your pension.
In fact, if you are planning to come back, just hang on to your ARC so you can apply for the D-10. after you take your flight. They will ask you at immigrations if you are finished or coming back? Just say I'm coming back.

I've done this several times and have never had to give up my ARC .
Just make sure you have some days left on your card.

By the way, the pension office, the bank, and immigration are the places you will visit on the way out. But you have to have ALL of this sorted out BEFORE you get to the airport.

Some people misunderstood my original post and thought I meant to file for the pension at the airport.

>>>>Please make sure you file at your local pension office, first.<<<<<

Let them know you will be collecting cash at the airport and in which currency you'd like to receive it.

Don't volunteer any EXTRA information.
CPT

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so I ended up getting my pension, while on my D-10, and I haven't left the country (well, I left and came back after I stopped working, which is important).

I was worried about applying with a D-10, so I called the International Service Center and asked if the process was the same for a D-10. She checked and told me it was.

So I went ahead and booked a flight to Japan, and headed to the pension office.

I was a bit worried, because on the form for Canadians, there was no option for airport payment. I asked, and she said it would be possible, but I don't even have to do it because I've already left the country once since my last contract. This seems to fall in line with what I've read in some other threads, but I was not expecting it and did not want to ask any questions when they were offering me a way to get my money faster and without leaving the country.

It only took them a day to send the money.

So now I have my pension money in my Korean bank account, a valid D-10, and a ticket to Tokyo on Tuesday that I may or may not use.

I assume now that I have the money, I no longer have any obligation to leave, though I might go because it would still be nice to go to Tokyo.

I'm not sure my experience is typical of dealing with the pension office, but it could not have been easier. If I run into any problems later, I'll update again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: