Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Egalitarianism.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigverne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A snapshot of how much it costs to uphold diversity from one of America's foremost centers of learning.

Dr. Gibor Basri is the vice chancellor for equity and inclusion at the University of California, Berkeley, overseeing a staff of approximately 150 and a $17-million budget. His responsibilities include working with faculty, staff, and students on strategic planning and fundraising for UC Berkeley’s Initiative for Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity and to carry out other key programs

http://www.diversityjournal.com/4287-uc-berkeleys-plans-for-equity-inclusion-and-diversity/

Money well spent no doubt.
Fox

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
Fox wrote:
He's probably not entirely wrong that some of the things on the test had only a "minimal relationship" with the job of firefighting, but given the fact that it is such a desired job, there has to be some process of choosing candidates, and acquirable knowledge is a more just standard than racial quotas. Increased knowledge might make someone a better firefighter, while having a certain skin tone will not. Then again, the law in question was created specifically to engineer the result it got, so I guess score one for the honest application of unjust laws.

https://ccrjustice.org/ourcases/current-cases/united-states-america-v.-city-new-york-(previously-vulcan-society-v.-city-new

So you believe Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, and the Equal Protection Clause from the Fourteenth Amendment of the Constitution of the United States, are unjust:

Quote:
The lawsuit charges the FDNY with discriminatory hiring practices that violate Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the United States and New York State constitutions, and New York State Human Rights Law.

Surprising.

It's Title VII that's the culprit, or at least specific subsections of it. I've attacked the absurdity of disparate impact before, haven't I?
Titus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/16/opinion/sunday/the-apartheid-of-childrens-literature.html?hpw&rref=opinion

Quote:
The Apartheid of Children’s Literature

The New York Times. They surprise me weekly. One page will be advocating wars everywhere and the next using the word apartheid to describe books for kids.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24641075?dopt=Abstract

Quote:
The Costume of Shangri-La: Thoughts on White Privilege, Cultural Appropriation, and Anti-Asian Racism.

This piece poses cultural appropriation as an undertheorized aspect of white privilege in White Privilege Studies. By way of narrative exploration, it asserts that a paucity of scholarship on Orientalism and anti-Asian racism has created a gap in White Privilege Studies that curbs its radical transformative potential. It argues for the value of a structural and historically focused lens for understanding the issue of cultural appropriation, and extends questions of culture and race relations beyond the borders of the United States. It also explores the complex ways that interracial and transnational relationships can influence white racial identity, and illustrates the disruptive potential that queer interracial relationships can offer to dominant historical patterns of white behavior.

College!
Kuros

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. Its page 10 and I'm leaving this thread.

Thanks for teaching me that all gender, racial, and identity-based outrage eventually becomes tedious, as has the outrage of the anti-egalitarian variety.
Titus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros what do you think American culture will be like in 20 years?

You can pretend to be above it (waving hands, yes yes you're both annoying) but the racial Bolshevism will continue to care about you.
Kuros

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:

More liberal in every way. American culture will be broadly better.

Quote:
You can pretend to be above it (waving hands, yes yes you're both annoying) but the racial Bolshevism will continue to care about you.

I worry about poor whites here in Kentucky. But I cannot really draw the connection between anything in this thread with their suffering.
Titus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
Titus wrote:

More liberal in every way. American culture will be broadly better.

Every measure of social and economic health is inversely correlated with increased liberalism.

Kuros, you rightly see that the elite are plundering the nation. You don't seem to notice that the elite are - without a single exception - liberal. Do you every wonder about the connection between the people who are plundering and how they are shaping your values? Maybe they have an interest in "liberalism"? Yeah?
Fox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not approving of gay marriage results in new Mozilla CEO being driven from his job, to much applause and fanfare. What's interesting about this is that he evidently tried to keep his beliefs out of the matter, and even outright promised to hold up the company's antidiscrimination policies. A well-qualified man lost his job purely and only because activists decided it was unacceptable for someone who didn't embrace their "orthodox beliefs" on marriage to be employed in such a capacity. OKCupid actually employed collective punishment to try to drive him out, blocking Firefox users from their site.

I'm under the impression that the whole Chick-fil-a controversy was about corporate practice (specifically regarding donation). Whether one agrees or disagrees with such a boycott, it at least makes some modicum of sense to be concerned with what the profits from your purchases will go to fund. But this seems to me to be less activism than outright personal destruction; punishing a man for his beliefs rather than trying to change a particular practice or behavioral pattern. Absolute intolerance for difference of opinion.
Titus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mozilla fellow was purged. This is how leftists are going to finally kill the goose.

Here's a list of leftist purges:

http://handleshaus.wordpress.com/2013/12/26/bullied-and-badgered-pressured-and-purged/

and from the same site (which is excellent):

http://handleshaus.wordpress.com/2014/04/05/liberalism-schafft-sich-ab/

Quote:
But liberalism, as classically understood, with its notions of free and open debate and tolerance of opposing viewpoints which form the basis of the civil society, is not compatible with the exercise of this kind of power, whether it is employed by the state or by a howling mob.

But the mob had a clear choice: ‘niceness, community, and civilization‘ – that is, ‘liberalism’ – or howling. And it chose to howl; like it always does the moment it thinks it can get away with it. Now that is knows it has the upper hand – the whip hand – and is just starting to feel its oats, it is simply a matter of time before Jericho’s new army blasts its terrible trumpets and brings down all the other walls surrounding the beleaguered remains of our civility. No rest until absolute victory.

If one wonders why there is an urgent and compelling need for political innovation and discourse concerning radically different approaches to social organization, then I would argue that this is it. If any idea threatens whatever rough beast is now visibly slouching towards us, then it won’t be long until such discussions and their participants simply won’t be tolerated and will be silenced, one way or another.

and more:

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/purifying-portlandia-sharia
Jongno2bucheon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigverne wrote:
A snapshot of how much it costs to uphold diversity from one of America's foremost centers of learning.

Dr. Gibor Basri is the vice chancellor for equity and inclusion at the University of California, Berkeley, overseeing a staff of approximately 150 and a $17-million budget. His responsibilities include working with faculty, staff, and students on strategic planning and fundraising for UC Berkeley’s Initiative for Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity and to carry out other key programs

http://www.diversityjournal.com/4287-uc-berkeleys-plans-for-equity-inclusion-and-diversity/

Money well spent no doubt.

Are you a California resident? Californians of all shapes and sizes are paying for that through state tax. So are you a Californian? I still pay taxes in CA so Id like to know why you wrote this.

Btw, the UC system pretty much obliterates every other educational group out there in terms of research output. Its only recently Harvard even got into the top 10 in math and sciences. And no Ivy league has the medical reputation of UCSF nor the long standing reputation in science and math research as the UCs. In fact until recently, science at the 4th best UC was considered equal to the best science Ivy, Cornell. All this on a mission to educate Californians at an affordable state tuition.

UCs by many important measures in academics and scholarship and research are considered the best university system in the world. And imagine accomplishing that without taking the money of the rich buying their way in. I,e, over 10% of Harvard students have SATs under 1000. Guess how they got in? Rich parents? The UC system rather give those spots to poor kids who are trying their best with what little they have

So are you a Californian? If not what has your state done that is exemplary that can perhaps serve as an educational tool? I know no other state has anywhere close to the 11 tier 1 universities California has.BIG VERNE
bigverne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you a California resident? Californians of all shapes and sizes are paying for that through state tax. So are you a Californian? I still pay taxes in CA so Id like to know why you wrote this.

No, I'm not a California resident. I'm not even American. What relevance that has to whether or not $17mn dollars should be spent on 'diversity' at one university I'm not quite sure.
Jongno2bucheon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigverne wrote:
Quote:

No, I'm not a California resident. I'm not even American. What relevance that has to whether or not $17mn dollars should be spent on 'diversity' at one university I'm not quite sure.

Ah okay. Basically, local taxes are usually spent with the interests of the local residents in mind. Thats how governments and taxes work. Perhaps you should take a course on political science and representation or something like that to find out how taxation and representation are related. Then you can learn how the two are related. Hopefully your home country has an educational system that teaches people. Lol
geldedgoat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being straight a 'huge disappointment'
Quote:
Lena Dunham grew up in the preternaturally progressive art world of downtown Manhattan, in which "no one hid their sexual orientation" and having two dads was a source of pride ("I was always very jealous").

So it should come as no surprise that "it was actually a huge disappointment for me, when I came of age and realized that I was sexually attracted to men," Dunham said Monday, reports Vanity Fair. The Girls creator was being honored by the Point Foundation, an organization that supports LGBTQ students pursue their education. "So when my sister (Grace) came out, I thought, 'Thank God, someone in this family can truly represent my passions and beliefs.' " These days, Dunham dates Jack Antonoff from fun.
Leon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geldedgoat wrote:
Being straight a 'huge disappointment'
Quote:
Lena Dunham grew up in the preternaturally progressive art world of downtown Manhattan, in which "no one hid their sexual orientation" and having two dads was a source of pride ("I was always very jealous").

So it should come as no surprise that "it was actually a huge disappointment for me, when I came of age and realized that I was sexually attracted to men," Dunham said Monday, reports Vanity Fair. The Girls creator was being honored by the Point Foundation, an organization that supports LGBTQ students pursue their education. "So when my sister (Grace) came out, I thought, 'Thank God, someone in this family can truly represent my passions and beliefs.' " These days, Dunham dates Jack Antonoff from fun.

Perhaps you shouldn't take what a comedian says so seriously, it sounds pretty tongue in cheek to me.
geldedgoat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:
Perhaps you shouldn't take what a comedian says so seriously, it sounds pretty tongue in cheek to me.

goat never gets to have fun:
Quote:
The yucks didn't stop there

I heard about this on the radio today, complete with doomsday teeth-gnashing about the homosexual apocalypse. Yes, Captain Buzzkill, it's clearly a joke.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 10 of 24

Jump to: