Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Australian republicanism a thing of the past?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scorpion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Australian republicanism a thing of the past? Reply with quote

I remember ten years or so ago the republican movement in Australia was pretty strong. The Prime minister, Keating, was a republican and clearly wanted a break with the monarchy. Was that merely a temporary flirtation, an attempt at blending into its Asian geography, or something else. Accordingh to this article Aussies are swinging back to tradition and respect for the monarchy. Any Aussies on here who care to comment?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/10748620/Royal-tour-Is-Australia-embracing-the-monarchy-again.html
Axiom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, from the poll that I think this article refers to, it is now the young people which is letting the Republican movement down.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/02/support-republic-20-year-low-poll

Quote:
Of the more than 2100 people asked about their views on Thursday night, 41.6 per cent said they were against Australia becoming a republic and 19 per cent didn't have an opinion.

Older Australians are more likely to be against a republic, and those aged between 35 and 65 are most likely to approve.

But in a blow to the republican movement, which hopes to cut ties with the royal family, more people aged between 18 and 35 oppose a republic than support it, the poll shows.

For me personally, I supported the movement back in the Keating years but now am bit older and a bit more conservative and probably fall in the " if it ain't broke ..." category.

I think many people are supposing that when Queen finally does kick the bucket the succession will jump a generation and William and Kate have a fairly broad appeal. (Charles and Carmilla not so much)
aq8knyus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles will be the next King, abolition of the monarchy would be more likely than it skipping a generation.

I am not an Australian, but I think the appeal might be something to do with the fact that it is a pretty good system.

Plus a quick look around the world will confirm that the republics aren't exactly shining beacons of social equality.
meangradin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it true that if Charles were to die before his mother, then the throne moves to his brother/sister and his/her descendants?
jvalmer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it's more Australians thinking that times is better spent tackling bigger issues then worrying about removing symbols of the monarch. It's nice to do, but that's for later.

I'm Canadian, and many Canadians would love to get rid of that damn foreign monarch. But there are more important things to do now, than spending millions debating and putting it to a national vote.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meangradin wrote:
Is it true that if Charles were to die before his mother, then the throne moves to his brother/sister and his/her descendants?

Yes and no, Prince Andrew Duke of York and younger brother of Charles Prince of Wales, is behind Prince Charles' children Prince William, Prince George and Prince Henry in the succession to the Crown.

Last edited by andrewchon on Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aussies are useless until they can bring kangaroo meat to Korea.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reality is that constitutional monarchies have been shown to more progressive on social issues than many republics. Canada, a constitutional monarchy, is a more socially progressive country than the States. The UK is more progressive than the Republic of Ireland, and the Scandanavian countries are ahead of us all. Not only that, the Scandinavian countries, despite being monarchies, have populations that are far from obsessed with traditional ways of thinking or living. Something like 82% of Swedes are either atheist or agnostic. Compare that to all the religious ignoramuses back in the States. Britain has Darwin on its friggin' money, we have a bronze age deity. Confused

I say to our Australian, Kiwi and Canadian friends: if it ain't broken (and it's not) don't fix it. Do you really want another seedy politician as your head of state? Aussies and Kiwis, if you want to put some symbolic distance between themselves and the UK, just change your flag. Canada had a similar flag until the 1960s, but replaced it with the maple leaf. I advise Australians and NZ to just follow that example. No need to throw out the baby with the bath water. Just change your flag.

The world is changing rapidly. It's nice to have some tradition, continuity and stability. The monarchy provides that. It doesn't mean the UK government has any influence over your country. It doesn't. The link is with the monarchy, not the British government. And even the Queen is merely a symbol with no power.

A republic would, in my opinion, be a waste of energies better spent elsewhere.
meangradin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]I'm Canadian, and many Canadians would love to get rid of that damn foreign monarch. But there are more important things to do now, than spending millions debating and putting it to a national vote.
Quote:

that may be true of you, but i suspect that the majority of canadians fully support their monarchy, as evidenced by how many canadians flock to see them when they visit canada.
I'm With You

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always found Australians to be very similar to Americans. More so than even Canadians.

It's like Australia is a larger version of Texas.

And by default, their constitution ties them to the U.S. in terms of military action around the world.

Australia is a mini America.
I'm With You

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meangradin wrote:
I'm Canadian, and many Canadians would love to get rid of that damn foreign monarch. But there are more important things to do now, than spending millions debating and putting it to a national vote.
Quote:

that may be true of you, but i suspect that the majority of canadians fully support their monarchy, as evidenced by how many canadians flock to see them when they visit canada.
[/quote]

meangradin,

I think you fuckered your quote.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meangradin wrote:
but i suspect that the majority of canadians fully support their monarchy, as evidenced by how many canadians flock to see them when they visit canada.

Just because a bunch of people flock to take photos of two rich people doesn't mean they support them. I'd say at least close to half of Canadians want to see ties with the monarchy severed, and the younger the person the more likely they are anti-monarch.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2012/11/25/poll_finds_canadians_lagging_in_support_for_monarchy_proud_of_medicare.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/05/24/english-canada-monarchy-poll_n_1544065.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
The reality is that constitutional monarchies have been shown to more progressive on social issues than many republics. Canada, a constitutional monarchy, is a more socially progressive country than the States. The UK is more progressive than the Republic of Ireland, and the Scandanavian countries are ahead of us all. Not only that, the Scandinavian countries, despite being monarchies, have populations that are far from obsessed with traditional ways of thinking or living. Something like 82% of Swedes are either atheist or agnostic. Compare that to all the religious ignoramuses back in the States. Britain has Darwin on its friggin' money, we have a bronze age deity. Confused

I say to our Australian, Kiwi and Canadian friends: if it ain't broken (and it's not) don't fix it. Do you really want another seedy politician as your head of state? Aussies and Kiwis, if you want to put some symbolic distance between themselves and the UK, just change your flag. Canada had a similar flag until the 1960s, but replaced it with the maple leaf. I advise Australians and NZ to just follow that example. No need to throw out the baby with the bath water. Just change your flag.

The world is changing rapidly. It's nice to have some tradition, continuity and stability. The monarchy provides that. It doesn't mean the UK government has any influence over your country. It doesn't. The link is with the monarchy, not the British government. And even the Queen is merely a symbol with no power.

A republic would, in my opinion, be a waste of energies better spent elsewhere.

Good points, but let's focus on the important part: what would those new flags look like! Very Happy

If Canadians get a Maple Leaf...

Australia gets: a kangaroo? That Big Rock thingy? Koala? Mick Dundee or his knife?

New Zealands: sheep? One ring to rule them all? Rugby ball?
meangradin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i did
andrewchon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Australia: black and red stripe with yellow circle in the middle
New Zealand: too dumb to have a flag. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: