Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Star Trek or Star Wars?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Star Trek or Star Wars?
Star Trek
52%
 52%  [ 12 ]
Star Wars
17%
 17%  [ 4 ]
Firefly
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Dr. Who
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Stargate
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Battlestar Galactica
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Other
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 23

Author Message
Jongno2bucheon



Joined: 11 Mar 2014

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mithridates wrote:
Lots of discussion on midi-chlorians. I think the general consensus after a lot of debate is that it's a bit like a person's original mental potential, and after that what they make of it is their (or their environment's) choice. Take this guy for example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Langan

Officially the smartest man in the US and nobody really knows about him besides the odd appearance in documentaries about geniuses. In Star Wars too the Jedi didn't want to train Anakin at first in spite of his high midi-chlorian count, so midi-chlorians alone don't negate the need for training. Sometimes having too much potential can be a bad thing too.


Wow, a perfect score on the pre 1995 SAT. There was only 1 or 2 every year back then.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Underwaterbob



Joined: 08 Jan 2005
Location: In Cognito

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geldedgoat wrote:
Farscape and Lexx... and you listed neither. Crying or Very sad


Both Farscape and Lexx started out great, then proceeded to thoroughly crawl up their own asses.

Lexx especially drives me crazy since it's startling how fast it goes from balls-out awesome to staggeringly boring. And it does it over and over again throughout the four, wildly disparate seasons. Weird, weird series. Those first and second seasons are pretty consistently amazing though.

Farscape just got bogged down in the details. Too much boring filler that had nothing to do with the overarching plot, which they never finished anyway since the series got canceled. Maybe if they'd gotten around to the interesting bits sooner and more often... I stopped watching three-quarters of the way through.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
geldedgoat



Joined: 05 Mar 2009

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I considered mentioning that, which is true, but really, what sci-fi series other than Firefly died out gracefully? It seems getting cancelled after the first season is the only way to avoid a less-than-stellar finale. Farscape started going down when Zhaan left and Chiana's character started to rise in prominence. Lexx was entertaining for the first three seasons, but the last lost a lot of its flavor. I'm guessing it had something to with it seeming less Canadian-German and more just Canadian.

And yes, the acting in Babylon 5 ruined that show. I tried getting back into it again a few years ago because I remembered really liking it when I was younger, but I had to turn it off after ten minutes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Underwaterbob



Joined: 08 Jan 2005
Location: In Cognito

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geldedgoat wrote:
I considered mentioning that, which is true, but really, what sci-fi series other than Firefly died out gracefully? It seems getting cancelled after the first season is the only way to avoid a less-than-stellar finale. Farscape started going down when Zhaan left and Chiana's character started to rise in prominence. Lexx was entertaining for the first three seasons, but the last lost a lot of its flavor. I'm guessing it had something to with it seeming less Canadian-German and more just Canadian.

And yes, the acting in Babylon 5 ruined that show. I tried getting back into it again a few years ago because I remembered really liking it when I was younger, but I had to turn it off after ten minutes.


True that. I'm hard pressed to think of a sci-fi series that had a decent finale. TnG's last two episodes were pretty good, but it had more than its fair share of terrible episodes. Come to think of it, Voyager ended OK as well, but overall it boasts some of the absolute worst Trek episodes ever put on screen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Fox



Joined: 04 Mar 2009

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geldedgoat wrote:

And yes, the acting in Babylon 5 ruined that show. I tried getting back into it again a few years ago because I remembered really liking it when I was younger, but I had to turn it off after ten minutes.


Hmm. Now I don't know whether I should rewatch the series and see if it strikes me the way it has you and Bob, or should actively avoid rewatching it to preserve my good impression of it. I remember watching that X-Men cartoon as a kid and liking it, so I later downloaded it in a fit of nostaliga, and it was a horrible mistake. I don't think I can risk it with Babylon 5.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
geldedgoat



Joined: 05 Mar 2009

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underwaterbob wrote:
TnG's last two episodes were pretty good, but it had more than its fair share of terrible episodes.


The Next Generation could have been a masterpiece were it not for two terrifying words: Whoopi Goldberg.

Fox wrote:
Hmm. Now I don't know whether I should rewatch the series and see if it strikes me the way it has you and Bob, or should actively avoid rewatching it to preserve my good impression of it. I remember watching that X-Men cartoon as a kid and liking it, so I later downloaded it in a fit of nostaliga, and it was a horrible mistake. I don't think I can risk it with Babylon 5.


Funny you should mention that. Just the other day in anatomy, a turtle dissection prompted discussion about the old Ninja Turtles cartoon, which quickly turned into GI Joe, Transformers, and the X-Men. One of my classmates mentioned recently rewatching the X-Men cartoons with his kid and, like you, deeply regretted it. Some childhood memories are best left at just that: memories.

Duckman is proving to be an exception to this, though. I'm a few episodes into the first season, and it's even better than I remember, even with the heavy-handed topical humor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Underwaterbob



Joined: 08 Jan 2005
Location: In Cognito

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geldedgoat wrote:
Underwaterbob wrote:
TnG's last two episodes were pretty good, but it had more than its fair share of terrible episodes.


The Next Generation could have been a masterpiece were it not for two terrifying words: Whoopi Goldberg.


I'll see your Whoopi and raise you one Wesley Crusher...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
yodanole



Joined: 02 Mar 2003
Location: La Florida

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either. Both. Any and all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steelrails



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Location: Earth, Solar System

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counselor Troi was heading down that list, until 'Face of the Enemy', which really changed her character. It's a shame it took the show that long to actually use her besides having weird disease attacks and using her empathic powers to say "Captain, he's hiding something". Really? I had no idea.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
le-paul



Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Location: dans la chambre

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Counselor Troi was heading down that list, until 'Face of the Enemy', which really changed her character. It's a shame it took the show that long to actually use her besides having weird disease attacks and using her empathic powers to say "Captain, he's hiding something". Really? I had no idea.


At first I was blinded by her extremely, figure hugging outfit and long curly hair.

However, as time went by, I realised that her character seemed a little out of place on the bridge of a starship. As far as I remember, non of the other ships had a 'counsellor' on the bridge who was required to 'sense things' (like hiding something). As a captain, you'd think you would have some skills in negotiation etc. and if anything, a councillor would work as a crutch?
I also found her to be extremely arrogant as time went on and not necessarily helpful as a person who would offer support and guidance.

Anyway...

chief O'Brian and his dull wife, Bev crusher, wes crusher, Q, datas evil twin, will riker, troy:- all weak links.
The three strongest characters; warf, data and piccard carried that show for everyone else.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zyzyfer



Joined: 29 Jan 2003
Location: who, what, where, when, why, how?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geldedgoat wrote:
One of my classmates mentioned recently rewatching the X-Men cartoons with his kid and, like you, deeply regretted it. Some childhood memories are best left at just that: memories.


I first experienced this with Thundercats. Dat wooden voice acting!

Quote:
Duckman is proving to be an exception to this, though. I'm a few episodes into the first season, and it's even better than I remember, even with the heavy-handed topical humor.


I erroneously read this at first as Darkwing Duck. I wonder how those shows like that (Duck Tales, Tale Spin) have aged. I am not too eager to find out.

Oh, regarding the topic. I prefer Star Trek: TNG over Star Wars. But I am not terribly fond of space sci-fi as a general rule. I've tried watching Star Trek stuff that followed TNG but was quickly turned off by it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
radcon



Joined: 23 May 2011

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://makeameme.org/meme/my-beard-attracts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SeoulNate



Joined: 04 Jun 2010
Location: Hyehwa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the body of media: Battlestar for me

However, if you look at all the other aspects: Star Wars. Games, comics, books, TV shows, movies, toys, clothes etc.

Also, I was somewhat internet famous as a Star Wars nerd, so there is that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
geldedgoat



Joined: 05 Mar 2009

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underwaterbob wrote:
geldedgoat wrote:
Underwaterbob wrote:
TnG's last two episodes were pretty good, but it had more than its fair share of terrible episodes.


The Next Generation could have been a masterpiece were it not for two terrifying words: Whoopi Goldberg.


I'll see your Whoopi and raise you one Wesley Crusher...


Fair enough. Now that I think back on it, there were quite a few terrible characters in that show.

----------

Another sci-fi show that I thoroughly enjoyed: Aeon Flux. I remember liking The Head and The Maxx as well, but it's been so long since I've seen either that I can't remember much about them.

Whoa... I just googled them, and apparently MTV has all those old MTV Oddities and Liquid Television shows streaming. Goodbye, goat's free time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steelrails



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Location: Earth, Solar System

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone remember Alien Nation? My parents were pretty into it when I was young, and all I remember is the main Alien guy getting an "I'm not fat, I'm pregnant" T-shirt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International