Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Race a Possible Factor in Attack on Driver in Detroit
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghostrider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Race a Possible Factor in Attack on Driver in Detroit Reply with quote

"Detroit Police Chief James Craig wouldn't go so far as to the attack a 'hate crime,' but, he said, 'the issue of race is being looked at' as a possible motive.....

"Local defense attorney Cliff Woodards II says the lack of outrage in the African-American community reveals hypocrisy among its leaders. 'Imagine, though, if this happened to a black tree trimmer who was passing through Roseville?' wrote Woodards, who is African-American, in a Facebook post he titled 'Shame On Us.'

"Roseville is the suburb Utash hails from. 'Al Sharpton would have been on a plane before the man got out of surgery. Local community leaders and pastors would have taken to the airwaves and the pulpits in search of justice for this fallen hero.' "
http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/08/justice/michigan-driver-attack/

It seems kind of obvious to me. A white man accidently runs into a young black boy. He gets out of his vehicle to help. A mob of a dozen or so black people immediately forms and nearly beats the white man to death.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Local defense attorney Cliff Woodards II says the lack of outrage in the African-American community reveals hypocrisy among its leaders

Actually a local pastor with an African-American congregation took up a collection for the victim's family and the general vibe on facebook on freep and detnews was people of all colors were pretty disgusted.

It could quite possibly have been a hate crime, but most Detroiters, white and black, find the whole thing disgusting. They're just happy the kid is okay and hope the driver recovers and the assailants are brought to justice.

And it was a black lady with a gun who saved him.

I think people trying to play the reverse race card aren't doing the story any favors. If its a hate crime, let that happen. Detroiters white and black are tired of these kinds of shenanigans and will gladly see the assailants go down, provided it was indeed a hate crime and not the result of some reverse-Trayvon media circus.
Jongno2bucheon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot of people target Asian Americans, and they never get charged with a hate crime.
Jongno2bucheon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://racerelations.about.com/od/historyofracerelations/a/Remembering-Vincent-Chin.htm

Vincent Chin was killed for being Asian American, and the white male murderers got off with less jail time than Michael Vick for killing a dog.

They were never charged with a hate crime. Its good to be a violent, hateful, white person who loves killing and raping asians.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude...I know I derail threads, but what the heck?

atwood, where are you? I'd like to apologize...
Jongno2bucheon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really the issue of race used in a hate crime case simply holds no water until the cases of overlooked asian hate crimes is looked at first.

Btw, vincent chin was murdered in detroit.
radcon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jongno2bucheon wrote:
Really the issue of race used in a hate crime case simply holds no water until the cases of overlooked asian hate crimes is looked at first.

Btw, vincent chin was murdered in detroit.

Hate crimes were not tracked and didn't become a statistic until 1989. Vincent Chin was killed in 1982. In 1982 nobody was talking about "hate crimes."
This whole notion of hate crimes is stupid and should be eradicated. Authorities can not read the minds of perpetrators. Did these guys in Detroit attack the motorist because he was white or because he hit somebody with his truck? No way to know what was going through each of their heads at the exact moment of the attack.
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jongno2bucheon wrote:
http://racerelations.about.com/od/historyofracerelations/a/Remembering-Vincent-Chin.htm

Vincent Chin was killed for being Asian American

Dude, that was 32 years ago.... and the protests for the injustice in that case, changed America.

Shit, there was white foreign teacher killed in Suncheon just for teaching at a public school just 16 years ago, and no one even knows about it......Where is your outrage for that?

http://populargusts.blogspot.kr/2011/02/newspaper-accounts-of-1998-murder-of.html
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This whole notion of hate crimes is stupid.

This
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jongno2bucheon wrote:

Dude, that was 32 years ago.... and the protests for the injustice in that case, changed America.

Shit, there was white foreign teacher killed in Suncheon just for teaching at a public school just 16 years ago, and no one even knows about it......Where is your outrage for that?

http://populargusts.blogspot.kr/2011/02/newspaper-accounts-of-1998-murder-of.html

Quote:
a search on KINDS turned up nothing about his death in Korean-language newspapers; nor were there news reports about it in the Korea Times or Korea Herald.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, people need to stop treating 'Gusts' as some sort of legitimate news site. I have no problem with them mentioning this story and taking the Korean media to task for not giving it more print, but there was one line in there that really irked me and seems symptomatic of their editorial style,

Quote:
Although Scott's murderer has a history of being mentally unbalanced, I believe that labeling him a "freak," "psycho" or "lunatic" would be an attempt to comfort and protect ourselves from the horrific crime.

That may be true, but dismissing his history of mental illness and trying to project it onto some broader, xenophobic, media and government enabled trend is the reverse of 'comforting and protecting', it is exaggerating and fear-mongering. Let mental illness stand as mental illness.

I don't like it when we have a mass shooting and people on both sides of the gun debate dismiss the person's mental illness when arguing their respective points. It undermines the primal causes- motive and action. Instead, somehow the crime is because some senator decided to not sign gun legislation.
Jongno2bucheon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No_hite_pls wrote:
Jongno2bucheon wrote:

Quote:
a search on KINDS turned up nothing about his death in Korean-language newspapers; nor were there news reports about it in the Korea Times or Korea Herald.

So a mentally insane person killed the guy? Thats sad.

However in Vincent Chens case he was killed because two sane white males were angry at Japanese auto workers for making good cars. The guy wasnt even Japanese American.

Anyways... Clearly there are a lot of hate crimes carried out by sane people against Asian Americans. It is an issue about motive that needs to be discussed.
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jongno2bucheon wrote:
No_hite_pls wrote:
Jongno2bucheon wrote:

Quote:

So a mentally insane person killed the guy? Thats sad.

However in Vincent Chens case he was killed because two sane white males were angry at Japanese auto workers for making good cars. The guy wasnt even Japanese American.

Anyways... Clearly there are a lot of hate crimes carried out by sane people against Asian Americans. It is an issue about motive that needs to be discussed.

"the attacker said that he murdered Scott because he didn't want Americans here teaching Korean children. It was also noted that he said foreigners should not be allowed to hold jobs here while many Koreans are unemployed."

Sounds like a hate crime to me, and how about that VT shooter??????

Last edited by No_hite_pls on Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
two sane white males

They don't seem sane to me.....
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jongno2bucheon wrote:

Evidence?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: