Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

would you write that if...?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
le-paul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: would you write that if...? Reply with quote

A/ Your avatar had your passport photo on it.

B/ Your name and location were available.

C/ You didn't have have wikipedia to check your claims.

D/ There were no censorship or limits to what you could say.

E/ All of your friends/acquaintances read posts on this site.

Try to be honest

Last edited by le-paul on Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
sab2197

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy answer for me: No. You just never know who you could be talking to so as a general rule, I try to behave the same on-line as I would in real life.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of us would, (we're not saying anything we probably haven't said over drinks at a bar- well I don't talk Korea at the bar, but you know what I mean) but we're just worried about the psycho factor ambushing us or screwing us over in the dark of night. Some dude with a chip on his shoulder one way or the other might try something ridiculous against the bashers or apologists, depending on their leanings.
Fox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A: No. I generally do not post photographs of myself on the Internet, so I'd never participate in such a forum, just as I avoid Facebook and the like.
B: Yes.
C: Possibly no. I certainly prefer to verify facts somehow before insisting upon them.
D: Yes.
E: Yes.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: would you write that if...? Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:

E/ All of your friends/acquaintances read posts this site.

Try to be honest

In response to E (and subsequently A-D), well actually quite a few friends and acquaintances I've made in Korea do post on this site. The flurry of ESL Cafe meetings in years past kind of assured that. I have not met in person most of the current big-name posters, but I still maintain my old posting habits. I'd rather come off on here as a bit vanilla and not rub people the wrong way.

But this thread isn't really about my personal take, of course. People write some messed-up things on here. I could imagine some of the more vitriolic members getting into fist fights. While that would be hilarious to witness, I reckon they cherish the relative anonymity that posting online on a message board like this affords.

Personally, though, I find Facebook far more intriguing. It's like delving into The Comment Hell of an article, except it's on Facebook. Since I genuinely use Facebook to keep in touch with old friends and little more, I find it bizarre that people will get into heated debates on religion, politics, sexism, and the like. People who use Facebook as a pedestal to espouse their opinions on controversial issues (in either direction) are not generally welcome on my news feed.
le-paul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have no idea if anyone I know posts on this site. When ever it has come up in conversation, Ive avoided asking about their username in case they ask mine. I like the anonymity that I have here.

That being said, I do know a few people who who've said they wouldn't post on here because its too aggressive or intimidating. I think in some cases though, they haven't quite got to grips with the 'etiquette' involved in anonymous forums.

But facebook, I read recently that you're more likely to be 'un friended' or ignored if you're boring than prejudice, bigoted or insulting.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: would you write that if...? Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:

Try to be honest

a) yes.
b) yes.
c) yes.
d) yes.
e) yes.

le-paul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: would you write that if...? Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
le-paul wrote:

Try to be honest

a) yes.
b) yes.
c) yes.
d) yes.
e) yes.

You dont get to play this game Laughing
schwa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto, five yeses.

I write much the same as I would say something in person. I've never hidden my real-life identity here & a number of other posters could identify me by name.

Internet anonymity sure seems to bring out the juvenile nasty side of some people though. I guess they think they're being clever.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A) my passport photo is demonic, I wouldn't mind a touched up version
B) I already use my own name
C)Yes
D)No, I didn't care for the pre-cleaned up youtube comments and I wouldn't care to gob with potty-mouths here, either.
E) Previous public school I worked for had someone monitoring what I wrote here. As for friends and relations: they didn't pay attention to me before, so if I pay them enough money they might read it, pay attention? don't think so. Laughing
Speck7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im worse in real life.
Squire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't post the same things. One of the big reasons I like posting on forums is the more forthright environment where people can feel free to give their opinion without worrying about repercussions. I like an environment where people can speak honestly without worrying about causing offense or getting into trouble. How much would people here be willing to share about their jobs if they knew a google search could bring up what they've said?

At school this week I had one regular show up to the teachers' English class and since I'd spent about four hours preparing a class for a group of 4 or 5 people I decided to save that for next time and do free talking. Well, this woman spent the entirety of 55 minutes (15 minutes more than the 40 minute lesson) talking about her kid's private English classes and how she and her husband don't agree on the direction these classes are going in. Literally that was the only topic. As I pretended to listen it occurred to me that I couldn't remember a time when she wasn't talking about her family, and I've had her in my class for over a year now. Politeness dictates that I listen, chip in now and then and feign interest, but over an anonymous forum she'd be told how boring she is and not to constantly post and make threads about her family who aren't relevant or interesting to anybody else. Few people have that brutal honesty in real life.

^ And there's an example of something I wouldn't post here were I not anonymous.
Jongno2bucheon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think I am worse in real life, especially around my friends when I am drunk. My filter is like.. completely gone.
fustiancorduroy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't write anything on here that I don't talk about with people in real life, so I guess put me down for five yeses.
Moldy Rutabaga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would, but sadly because I'm just more guarded (and a little boring) in what I write in the first place.

I think I would just be reluctant to have all of that personal information online, regardless of how I behave here. As I age I become more careful what I post online. I can search for posts and things I've written on the internet from the late 90's on, and some of it is embarrassing to me now.

I've met a few Dave's posters in person, and they all took what is written with a grain of salt. And years ago this board was spicier, with theology fights and K-girl pics everywhere. It could be very fun but sometimes very mean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: